Thread: ND4 or ND8 filters

Default ND4 or ND8 filters

Hi ,

Need some advice here.

Would like to consider either ND4 or ND8 filter.
    But I am aleady using a standard B+W polarizer filter. Can I attach the ND filter onto the "always on" filter that I have now with my camera?

Also would like to see some reference pics if you have, taken with ND4 and ND8.
    Primarily, would like to dim the light enough during day time to take movement shots.
    Mostly for portaits and occassionally landscape. I suspect that ND4 is a better choice.
    Advice please.

Last but not least, what are the options available ? was in Japan a while ago and regretted not buying them. They were so many filters out on display.
    Where can I find them in Singapore?

thanks for your help.

Default Re: ND4 or ND8 filters

since you already know what ND filter is for, why would you want to have it "always on"? are you taking "movement shots" only and nothing else??

it just sound like you are asking people how many bowls of rice you should eat, you very hungry eat three bowls lor, not hungry than eat two bowls lar.

so, ND4 cut down two stops, ND8 cut down 3 stops, when to use ND4 or ND8 has to depend on lighting condition, can't really say which one should you get.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by macchiato View Post
    But I am aleady using a standard B+W polarizer filter. Can I attach the ND filter onto the "always on" filter that I have now with my camera?
    Does that mean that you use a CPL as "always on" filter?
    Basically you can stack filters, provided the filter threads match. But each plain surface is a cause for reflections that will show up as flare. I suggest removing any UV filter before putting on other filters. You can also have a look at filter holders (Cokin, Tian Ya, etc.) where you can place up to three filters into one holder. The filter holder has a screw mount for various lens diameters.

Since you have flickr account, there are tons of sample pics with ND filter

If only one, go for ND8.

While not perfect, your polarizer can be used as an ND in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by macchiato View Post
    Hi ,

Need some advice here.

Also would like to see some reference pics if you have, taken with ND4 and ND8.
    Primarily, would like to dim the light enough during day time to take movement shots.
    Mostly for portaits and occassionally landscape. I suspect that ND4 is a better choice.
    Advice please.

Last but not least, what are the options available ? was in Japan a while ago and regretted not buying them. They were so many filters out on display.
    Where can I find them in Singapore?

thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    since you already know what ND filter is for, why would you want to have it "always on"? are you taking "movement shots" only and nothing else??

it just sound like you are asking people how many bowls of rice you should eat, you very hungry eat three bowls lor, not hungry than eat two bowls lar.

so, ND4 cut down two stops, ND8 cut down 3 stops, when to use ND4 or ND8 has to depend on lighting condition, can't really say which one should you get.
    Thanks for sharing the 2,3 stops info. I didn't know abt that. Now its easier to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Does that mean that you use a CPL as "always on" filter?
    Basically you can stack filters, provided the filter threads match. But each plain surface is a cause for reflections that will show up as flare. I suggest removing any UV filter before putting on other filters. You can also have a look at filter holders (Cokin, Tian Ya, etc.) where you can place up to three filters into one holder. The filter holder has a screw mount for various lens diameters.
    Thanks. I got it now. To use the ND filter, I will possibly have to unmount whatever UV filter that I have before mounting it again. And there are many options...

Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    Since you have flickr account, there are tons of sample pics with ND filter
    Thanks. I did that through google. saw a few standard pics. Flickr will be a good idea and source to start with.

Many thanks for the quick replies.

BTW, when you use a ND filter, you should be compensating your exposure values to still get correct exposure. NDs cut light so you can shoot a scene at a slower shutter speed/wider aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

Agreed.
    I also contemplating getting either one, but cant decide which. Now i know
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son