Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Serious Car Accident.. Using K7 - ISO800 and ISO1600

Default Re: Serious Car Accident.. Using K7 - ISO800 and ISO1600

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Aiyah, so much debate about shooting at high ISO... seems like it is a pet topic of plenty of Pentax pixel peepers on the internet who I dare say measurebate more than regularly shoot at the higher end of the ISO range. Many complain that Pentax images at high ISO appear noisy, not realizing that Pentax doesn't use heavy handed noise reduction, favouring detail preservation. I would rather have a slightly noisy image but full of details rather than a cleaner image that has lost details because I can clean up the noise with software but I can't recover smeared details. Very simply put, if anyone routinely shoots at high ISO, then an investment in noise reduction software is a must.

As to compact cameras, given the size of the sensor, I find the older lower megapixel PnS to outdo the 8 to 12 megapixel current compact wonders in the noise department. Even using my bro-in-law's Canon G10, I won't even want to shoot beyond ISO 400.

Comparison of relative sensor sizes:
    Good example from Dennis,look if you guys looking for high ISO control most likely
    we have to wait till Pentax come out with a full frame camera & i strongly believe it will
    happen,bigger sensor bigger money offcos.

example: my old photos taken early this yrs at my sister wedding using full frame camera.

ISO:3200

ISO:6400

Direct from camera no photoshop.
    Last edited by nik34; 9th July 2009 at 01:50 PM.
    PENTAX l OldKMan

Quote Originally Posted by knyghtfall81 View Post
    Actually for the ISO issue -

setting aside those who want to use grain ("noise") for the effect, my experience with ISOs is that the appropriate ISO needs to be used according to the available light. For example, for a bright daytime scene, a setting of ISO 1600 or higher would appear very grainy, especially if an ISO 100 can be used. However, say if you're taking a picture of a dimly lit pub of a saxophone player, a high ISO (say, 1600 or 3200) would not be that obvious due to the dim lighting in the shot (unless of course you expose for the shadows and not for the lit areas)

Hence, for the shots on the accident, I agree that the image could be and was probably affected by various factors, such as solar film, etc etc (what was the lens again? the 18 -55?). But perhaps for the "noise" level, it could have been better controlled by using a lower ISO? Granted you will lose a lot of the shadow detail, but the subjects in the the photo seem well-lit enough to try for a lower ISO.

Not sure if ppl with agree with me on this, but just my 2 cents worth.

I agreed that maybe i pump up too much on the ISO as i worried about the slower shutter speed, which will result in blur. i did with 800, the shutter i already show, so if i go higher, i gain in shutter, and i increase the f-stop.. maybe i had went and stand outside to shoot, might have better result..
    K-1 PENCAKE LIMITED: DA15;; DA 35 Macro; DA70; FA31; F50 f1.7

updated the f-stop and shutter speed.. note: windscreen is quite dirty too..:-)

ISO3200 on a K20D
    1/400 sec, f/3.5, ISO3200, EV+0.7
    Direct conversion from RAW with ACR default settings + resize. No PP, no crop, no sharpening except for the default ACR values.

D7000 + MB-D11, AF-S 18-105 VR, AF-S 70-300 VR, AF-S 50/1.8G, Tamron 90 Macro, Metz 50 AF-1.

this was did days before the accidental shot..

Indoor, 3M Light, ISO800 Aperture: 5.6 Exposure: 1/50 sec

Indoor, ISO1250, Exposure: 1/40 sec Aperture: 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by kayster View Post
    updated the f-stop and shutter speed.. note: windscreen is quite dirty too..:-)
    Yes!if you are out of your car the image will be better too,but great effort shots &
    tks for sharing.
    PENTAX l OldKMan

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Aiyah, so much debate about shooting at high ISO... seems like it is a pet topic of plenty of Pentax pixel peepers on the internet who I dare say measurebate more than regularly shoot at the higher end of the ISO range. Many complain that Pentax images at high ISO appear noisy, not realizing that Pentax doesn't use heavy handed noise reduction, favouring detail preservation. I would rather have a slightly noisy image but full of details rather than a cleaner image that has lost details because I can clean up the noise with software but I can't recover smeared details. Very simply put, if anyone routinely shoots at high ISO, then an investment in noise reduction software is a must.

As to compact cameras, given the size of the sensor, I find the older lower megapixel PnS to outdo the 8 to 12 megapixel current compact wonders in the noise department. Even using my bro-in-law's Canon G10, I won't even want to shoot beyond ISO 400.

Comparison of relative sensor sizes:
    "This is a wise & interesting advice, software can solve noise ..but details can't: of course not that much noise that grind the details"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123