Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod for Macro (suitable for women)

Default Re: Tripod for Macro (suitable for women)

Quote Originally Posted by mimeow View Post
    488rc2 (0.46 kg) + 190cxpro3 (1.3kg) = 1.76 kg....

Glador, what you consider as not heavy?
    Oops I mixed up the cxpro with the normal ones. The carbon fibre ones are definitely lighter, I find the normal ones too heavy to lug around.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

thanks guys for the input. Will pop over that the shop to have a feel around.

Can i ask about those 3 sections vs 4 sections?
    Since i am petite (in height), would a 4-section suffice as i don't have to extend it to max therefore the bottom leg is thicker/more stable?
    Last edited by mimeow; 8th July 2009 at 04:21 PM.

By the way, out of curiosity, which do you upgrade more often?
    Legs? Head?
    Actually get a good one and it will last you for years......unlike camera and lens that we will upgrade often.......

I don't think i will upgrade further my gitzo tripod.....for my ballhead.....i want a Acra-swiss....but my current one is doing very fine.....can't find a reason to upgrade....

Can i ask about those 3 sections vs 4 sections?
    Since i am petite (in height), would a 4-section suffice as i don't have to extend it to max therefore the bottom leg is thicker/more stable?
    The lesser the sections, the more stable. But you are also right to say that you do not need to extend the last section if you are short. Thus in this case a 4-section might actually be better and yet when you do need it, extend the last sections. 4 sections are also more compact and easier to carry around. 4-sections also cost slightly more.

How tall are you? That will play a part.

4 Section tripods can be quite stable. I'm using one as my main tripod now.

I also think that light-weight is a little overrated, in the sense that people here go for that at the expense of stability.

Quote Originally Posted by YSLee View Post
    How tall are you? That will play a part.

4 Section tripods can be quite stable. I'm using one as my main tripod now.

I also think that light-weight is a little overrated, in the sense that people here go for that at the expense of stability.
    i'm about 5'2"

I used to own a 488RC2 BH...
    And 488RC2 will shift a little, no matter how tight you had tighten.
    Shooting macro is not easy especially your BH will shift or move.

That time I using 488RC2, I have to adjust abt 1mm to 2mm above my subject.
    the reason why I do that is cos after I tighten it, my BH will move or shift downward.
    So I wasn't happy with the this BH at all.

After that I selling away and upgraded to Markins Q3.
    my life have change while shooting Macro, is much easy and once is lock meaning is lock solid and no one can to shift or move it.

My advice will be... If you can wait, save a bit more get a light tripod and Good BH.
    Getting a good stuffs is a long term investment and will last you very long.
    I learn my lesson in a hard way.

I did a review for 190PROCX3 with Markins.
    My Review version 1

My Review version 2 with additional photos.

Enjoy and have fun shooing with a good tripod and solid BH....
    That is very important for me.......if you have to keep and adjust and shift and very stress and tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post
    I used to own a 488RC2 BH...
    And 488RC2 will shift a little, no matter how tight you had tighten.
    Shooting macro is not easy especially your BH will shift or move.

That time I using 488RC2, I have to adjust abt 1mm to 2mm above my subject.
    the reason why I do that is cos after I tighten it, my BH will move or shift downward.
    So I wasn't happy with the this BH at all.

After that I selling away and upgraded to Markins Q3.
    my life have change while shooting Macro, is much easy and once is lock meaning is lock solid and no one can to shift or move it.

My advice will be... If you can wait, save a bit more get a light tripod and Good BH.
    Getting a good stuffs is a long term investment and will last you very long.
    I learn my lesson in a hard way.

I did a review for 190PROCX3 with Markins.
    My Review version 1

My Review version 2 with additional photos.

Enjoy and have fun shooing with a good tripod and solid BH....
    That is very important for me.......if you have to keep and adjust and shift and very stress and tired.
    Thanks Rubber_duck, your review and experience with the legs and BH has made it easier for me to decide.
    btw, great indepth.

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    The lesser the sections, the more stable. But you are also right to say that you do not need to extend the last section if you are short. Thus in this case a 4-section might actually be better and yet when you do need it, extend the last sections. 4 sections are also more compact and easier to carry around. 4-sections also cost slightly more.
    Thanks An drew, i might look into getting a 4 section since its more compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Actually get a good one and it will last you for years......unlike camera and lens that we will upgrade often.......

I don't think i will upgrade further my gitzo tripod.....for my ballhead.....i want a Acra-swiss....but my current one is doing very fine.....can't find a reason to upgrade....
    Thanks Leong23 for your advice!
    Last edited by mimeow; 8th July 2009 at 09:14 PM.

imho, never read all, but from experience, manfrottos are heavy. even the CF versions.

a gitzo 3-4 section CF is light, but very expensive. you pay for what you get.

for head wise, depends on your body, and also, you need a bag to support the tripod as gitzo tripods are light. else use a rubber string with right tension, tie to the tail, then step it down with your leg.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Get a wooden tripod instead. It's cheap and light. The best part is only 'Garang Guni' (Rag & Bone men) steals them.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    imho, never read all, but from experience, manfrottos are heavy. even the CF versions.

a gitzo 3-4 section CF is light, but very expensive. you pay for what you get.

for head wise, depends on your body, and also, you need a bag to support the tripod as gitzo tripods are light. else use a rubber string with right tension, tie to the tail, then step it down with your leg.
    Del_CtrlnoAlt, thanks for the tip.
    Looks like i'll have to save up for a gitzo and make it a once and for all purchase (Maybe the tripod last 20years with me )
    I guess i can hang the camera bag on the tripod as a support, yah.
    But your rubber string suggestion is fantastic/unique - never heard about it before

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    Get a wooden tripod instead. It's cheap and light. The best part is only 'Garang Guni' (Rag & Bone men) steals them.
    Nope.. RIES tripod are wooden and super expensive leh

i'm about 5'2"
    Well, at that height, you'll have many options! Though if you want a lateral arm, that'll add weight to the tripod. Even the Gitzo Explorer series aren't that light. Also, there is the problem that if your camera support is too light having the lateral arm will result in a very unstable platform.

Wat about Vanguard Alta pro series? vanguard 264AT VS Manfrotto 190XproB, weight is similar, both are stable, but 264AT are more flexible (Copy of Gitzo Explorer).

and of cuz... A good ballhead is important for macro. especially for macro usage.

BTW I am a ex 190xProB user and now a Vanguard Alta Pro user.
    Life is like Photography, to improve, you have to keep shooting!

Del_CtrlnoAlt, thanks for the tip.
    Looks like i'll have to save up for a gitzo and make it a once and for all purchase (Maybe the tripod last 20years with me )
    I guess i can hang the camera bag on the tripod as a support, yah.
    But your rubber string suggestion is fantastic/unique - never heard about it before

Nope.. RIES tripod are wooden and super expensive leh
    ya, probably, cos i just thought of it, lol... cos most of the time, girls won't carry much load, so their bags may not even be of enuff weight, so the next best way is to use the body weight... so simplest... a string to pull in down. maybe i can patent this idea and make a rubber strap for stepping.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

The idea taken to another level: http://www.kirkphoto.com/Strap_Pod.html :P

din know something like this existed... lol... but mine for tripod...

Home made wooden tripods

http://woodgears.ca/tripod/
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

I've an el cheapo QR plate... maybe i will modify it to copy this
    Last edited by mimeow; 11th July 2009 at 07:38 AM.

As I am female, i don't think i can carry a heavy tripod (if together with my existing gear).
    Any recommendations for a tripod that is somewhat weight-friendly and suitable for macro?
    I do mainly macro these days.
    How much do i need to spend?
    Not really particular about brands (tripod and ballhead) as long as it is flexible enough for macro and light enough for me to lug around.
    thanks

Manfrotto 190cx3 (CF) with markins q 3 ballhead - Should set you back for ard $800?? (But u get a combined weight of merely 1.8KG)
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12