Thread: DNG or CR2

Default DNG or CR2

just wondering if there is any significant difference between importing raw files into DNG or keeping them as direct CR2 and then processing them via LR2.

thx for any thoughts.

Default Re: DNG or CR2

The main difference is that Open Source programs can handle DNG since the specs are open (although mainly developed by Adobe). For CR2 (proprietary format of Canon) it always needs reverse engineering of Canon's import algorithms which can result in slight differences - or it needs the manufacturer software. Canon's DPP comes free, Nikon's software is only a trial version (AFAIK).
    Regarding processing speed there is no difference.

As we can see with various other file formats (XML text documents, PNG image files) Open Source is the way to go into the future if one doesn't want to get stuck (or bound) to royalties, software licenses and proprietary software.

Latest camera model CR2 files may only work on the latest version of software from Adobe. 5D mk2 cr2 files are only supported on PS CS4 while CS3 users need to convert to dng.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    The main difference is that Open Source programs can handle DNG since the specs are open (although mainly developed by Adobe). For CR2 (proprietary format of Canon) it always needs reverse engineering of Canon's import algorithms which can result in slight differences - or it needs the manufacturer software. Canon's DPP comes free, Nikon's software is only a trial version (AFAIK).

As we can see with various other file formats (XML text documents, PNG image files) Open Source is the way to go into the future if one doesn't want to get stuck (or bound) to royalties, software licenses and proprietary software.
    thx for the advice.

Good point. Never thought about that until now. Im thinking 'Do i now have to save my edits both in CR2 and DNG?'
    5Dmk2 600D Sig35f1.4 Sig50f1.4 85f1.8 SY14f2.8 18200 Tam1750f2.8 580EX2 Oly EP3 14-42X 40-150 20f1.7

Quote Originally Posted by electron View Post
    Good point. Never thought about that until now. Im thinking 'Do i now have to save my edits both in CR2 and DNG?'
    You don't save any edits in CR2 or DNG. Save in formats of PS or in the catalog system of Lightroom or any other format like jpg. RAW files are the precious files from which you can have multiple versions of edited images.

As long as Adobe does not make its own camera or getting bought by Nikon, CR2 to DNG converter will always be around. Besides, DNG may not be able to hold all information in CR2, or does so in an awkward way (look at DNGs from sRAW files a while ago).
    Last edited by grantyale; 9th July 2009 at 10:02 PM.

You don't save any edits in CR2 or DNG. Save in formats of PS or in the catalog system of Lightroom or any other format like jpg. RAW files are the precious files from which you can have multiple versions of edited images.
    You're absolutely right. I confuse myself sometimes
    5Dmk2 600D Sig35f1.4 Sig50f1.4 85f1.8 SY14f2.8 18200 Tam1750f2.8 580EX2 Oly EP3 14-42X 40-150 20f1.7