Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is D90 worth $250 more than 500D?

Default Re: is D90 worth $250 more than 500D?

Well, if you have already decided that "Nikon colors" look better, then why hesitate?

Personally, I don't think there's much of a difference between outputs of different camera manufacturers that I cannot adjust.

Deregistered

Pls go with whatever u feel right about because ultimately u make the deicision and u pay the price.. as long as u feel good about it, it's alrite.. ultimately like what the other CSers said before, u can't go too wrong with the dslr nowadays
    oh.. this will be my first DSLR btw.. i like canon for the value... but from the pics i see online of D90 vs 500D.. omg.. no fight la... haha... nikon just seems.. a notch above... or mayb my eyes were playin tricks on me.. heh..[/QUOTE]

As far as price is concern, maybe you should be comparing D90 and 50D. I would say they are about the same class.
    So if you did that, is Canon that much cheaper?

For the pics you saw online, it is not no fight, but a matter of preference, as mentioned by other members here.

nikon users will say nikon is better. canon users will say canon is better. you don't want to start a flame right? better try it out yourself. some will say to get the cam that will fit your budget...ihmo try to invest on something "better" for a newbie even if that means saving up more so that you won't have upgrade and upgrade and upgrade which in turn will make your spending more costly. but that's just me

and yes, please do try out other brands i.e olympus, pentax, sony etc.. good luck!
    I shoot with my A7II . I shoot with my Kalashnikov AEG. I just love shooting ;)

hey all.. many thanks really to all your inputs... this is my main gripe..

check out http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...ikon-D90.shtml .. check out the pic of the girl on the bike...

the canon pic just looks ... bleah.. issit an issue with the kit lens? or do y'all think it's inherent of canon... or settings?

Quote Originally Posted by summrj View Post

check out http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...ikon-D90.shtml .. check out the pic of the girl on the bike...

the canon pic just looks ... bleah.. issit an issue with the kit lens? or do y'all think it's inherent of canon... or settings?
    don't forget a photo is not made just by the camera, it is also dependent on a lot of other factors like lighting, settings, and the person behind it.

go get a camera and simply learn to make full use of it. whether it's the 500D or the D90 you get, if you're really serious about learning, you'll be taking great pictures if you invest the effort.

Oh yeah, I'm using the D90 and I'm loving it... but that may not be the same for you. Just make up your mind and go get one.

I also considered the d90 but was comparing against the D5000. I was also contemplating topping up the 250 to get the D90 as the reviews here is just overwhelming. However, when I tried the D90, it felt too big in my hands, that's why I went for the D5000. You got to try the feel before deciding. For me a D90 in the cabinet is not good as a D5000 in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonnew View Post
    I also considered the d90 but was comparing against the D5000. I was also contemplating topping up the 250 to get the D90 as the reviews here is just overwhelming. However, when I tried the D90, it felt too big in my hands, that's why I went for the D5000. You got to try the feel before deciding. For me a D90 in the cabinet is not good as a D5000 in my hands.
    wow, then you will never upgrade to any higher level cameras..cause they all just get bigger and bigger.lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonnew View Post

I got a d5000 because of budget......

No worries, i WILL upgrade to d90/d90x(if it appears) once i have the budget

Quote Originally Posted by agentxq49 View Post

I got a d5000 because of budget......

No worries, i WILL upgrade to d90/d90x(if it appears) once i have the budget
    okay, good for you

but try not to be angry for now eh?..

Quote Originally Posted by sidloojl View Post
    wow, then you will never upgrade to any higher level cameras..cause they all just get bigger and bigger.lol.
    upgrading one's photographic skills reaps far more rewards than upgrading one's equipment
    especially so if the existing equipment is of good quality anyway.
    Exploring! :)

i know what you mean by the color difference btw the canon and the nikon. Like that ar, just get the nikon or youll start regretting and cursing when you photos dont turn out good. even though its cuz of the photographer you will start blaming your equipment. i think the comments given have encompassed what you need to decide. just make sure your final decision will not hinder your pregression in photography in the future and youll be more than fine!

Quote Originally Posted by sidloojl View Post

I really dont know about this upgrade frenzy, Mcdonald's got to apply for patent for the upsize thingy.

Yes you are right actually, maybe the feel of the cam should not be taken into account, but again, a cam in the cabinet is not as good as a cam in my hands.

the light conditions looks different already..

the left one looks like got some cloud cover..the right one looks like the sun came out..

it was a good review until the photos..

just get the one tat calls to u.

For me, i preferred the C's cleaning layout. N's buttons so cluttered and all over the place.

d40 or d5000 have less button...
    less's better...?
    dun think so...
    if u shoot an event, u have to adjust a lot for different setting, then u'll need those button...
    but if u got less, u have to set via menu.. it quite troublesome... after u adjust done, u'll miss wat u should shoot...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clioboy View Post

the light conditions looks different already..

the left one looks like got some cloud cover..the right one looks like the sun came out..

it was a good review until the photos..

just get the one tat calls to u.

For me, i preferred the C's cleaning layout. N's buttons so cluttered and all over the place.
    actually hor, note the shadows, the sunlight looks the same on both images
    if there was a cloud cover, the shadows will not be the same.

this looks more like metering differences

actually my personal experience is canon color normally is brighter and more vibrant than nikon. but canon photo may easily overexposed, so need to adjust exposure correctly.

I love the photo post online taken by D90, but when I tried my friend's D90 and most photo look dull. Guess it is all depends on post editing and the metering at the time you take photo. of course the photographer's skill

you can set higher exposure etc...
    judging by only one photo does not tell the whole story.
    Nikon D90 12/24mm/ 18-105mm / 50mm f1.8

i think these pictures are from dp review, can't remeber where i saw it..haha. yes, i know that a camera that you use is better than one you won't use..haha.

Quote Originally Posted by kajun_liu View Post
    d40 or d5000 have less button...
    less's better...?
    dun think so...
    if u shoot an event, u have to adjust a lot for different setting, then u'll need those button...
    but if u got less, u have to set via menu.. it quite troublesome... after u adjust done, u'll miss wat u should shoot...
    that is what i think too,more buttons means you don't have to dig into menus just to change one small setting..canon does indeed have a simpler layout and less button

that's why i got a nikon

hey guys... ive got a choice to make..

currently.. im able to get either

1) D90 with 18-55 kit lens... 8GB card.. bag and tripod -- $xx + 250

2) 500D with 18-55 kit lens.. 8GB card.. EF lens book --- $xx

3) 500D body.. 8GB card.. EF lens book ---------------- $ xx-165

both are brand new.. and sorry can mention the prices.. suffice to say it's rather nice..

which would you choose?

if i choose 3.. i intend to get a 2nd hand lens for abt $200+ 300+?

oh.. this will be my first DSLR btw.. i like canon for the value... but from the pics i see online of D90 vs 500D.. omg.. no fight la... haha... nikon just seems.. a notch above... or mayb my eyes were playin tricks on me.. heh..
    18-55 kit only worth 50-60 only

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast