Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Copyright issue with music (again)

Default Re: Copyright issue with music (again)

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I would like to add that buying rights from compass does not allow you to broadcast ANY songs; it only allows you to broadcast songs that COMPASS has been specifically authorised to license.

However, what those are, no one really knows, not even COMPASS themselves can give you a list if you ask for one.
    Ya shall not use any. At least 90% of the songs in the market are covered.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    there is always royalty free music and/or garage band to compose your own
    To add on. FYI some loyalty free music registered under compass. So you still need license from compass to use these royalty free music. So in the end is really LPPL if you are unlucky to use these songs.

vince123123
    Guests

It sounds like a contradiction to be called "royalty free" and yet Compass has them listed as "royalty-payable"?

Does Compass actually have the right to collect royalties for those "royalty free" songs?

And is there even a "list"? Last I asked them, Compass told me no such list available and just to trust them when they say they collect for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by blurrblurr View Post
    To add on. FYI some loyalty free music registered under compass. So you still need license from compass to use these royalty free music. So in the end is really LPPL if you are unlucky to use these songs.

It sounds like a contradiction to be called "royalty free" and yet Compass has them listed as "royalty-payable"?

Does Compass actually have the right to collect royalties for those "royalty free" songs?
    Compass stand is to protect the work of the author and writer. When the music is royalty free, it is "Free to use" in compass uncontrollable area. But if the writer want to protect his work and registered with compass. it become "royalty-payable" in Singapore. Sound stupid but it is really like that!
    Last edited by blurrblurr; 8th July 2009 at 04:26 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

It doesn't matter what Compass's satnd is, but what the rights holder's stand is.

If that is the case, then the rights holder should describe his work as "Royalty Free in all Countries Except Singapore". Otherwise it is misleading.

It is not so much of whether to protect work or not; it is whether to collect licensing fees or not. Copyright Protection (which does not disappear with royalty free licenses) is a separate issue from Royalties/Licensing.

Compass stand is to protect the work of the author and writer. When the music is royalty free, it is "Free to use" in compass uncontrollable area. But if the writer want to protect his work and registered with compass. it become "royalty-payable" in Singapore. Sound stupid but it is really like that!

So ok... for wedding...

if use a song (not full song), for a video montage, one time only show at ballroom to wedding guests, will it be extremely illegal?

The wedding couple at fault?

or the person who created the video montage?

i know if upload online, most likely be shot down by the host sites for copyright infringement and stuff, so its pointless.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Member/Tangshooter

How about multiple songs cut into one and did some post processing? Is copyright still involved?
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

It doesn't matter what Compass's satnd is, but what the rights holder's stand is.

If that is the case, then the rights holder should describe his work as "Royalty Free in all Countries Except Singapore". Otherwise it is misleading.

It is not so much of whether to protect work or not; it is whether to collect licensing fees or not. Copyright Protection (which does not disappear with royalty free licenses) is a separate issue from Royalties/Licensing.
    Wrong. There are different Compass like company in other countries which is tight up with compass. Registered with compass = registered in other countries. Registered with other company will = registered in Compass as well. So any case not covered in singapore will covered by other rights company in other country.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    How about multiple songs cut into one and did some post processing? Is copyright still involved?
    Yes part of lyrics and music notes of the songs are used.
    Aiyo I think I can work for compass liao.

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    So ok... for wedding...

if use a song (not full song), for a video montage, one time only show at ballroom to wedding guests, will it be extremely illegal?

The wedding couple at fault?

or the person who created the video montage?

i know if upload online, most likely be shot down by the host sites for copyright infringement and stuff, so its pointless.
    Aiyo please re read what I type. I have explain very clearly liao no point repeating.

Member/Tangshooter

Yes part of lyrics and music notes of the songs are used.
    Aiyo I think I can work for compass liao.
    Like that means many many many youtube clips infringe copyright act liao..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Aiyo please re read what I type. I have explain very clearly liao no point repeating.
    sorry ! haha
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    Like that means many many many youtube clips infringe copyright act liao..
    Well I can say good luck to them. Is not up to use to justify whether the song infringe copyrights or not.

vince123123
    Guests

In that case, put "Royalty Free Except in <insert list of countries here>". Or "Royalty Free Only in USA" or something like that.

You can't say something is free and yet it is not. This is very misleading and will just entice pple to use and end up cannot use.

I think there are a number of conditions before you can tag the words "royalty free".

If you have any specific examples to share, that would be great. I can't quite understand how anyone can do what you have mentioned.

Wrong. There are different Compass like company in other countries which is tight up with compass. Registered with compass = registered in other countries. Registered with other company will = registered in Compass as well. So any case not covered in singapore will covered by other rights company in other country.

In that case, put "Royalty Free Except in <insert list of countries here>". Or "Royalty Free Only in USA" or something like that.

You can't say something is free and yet it is not. This is very misleading and will just entice pple to use and end up cannot use.

I think there are a number of conditions before you can tag the words "royalty free".

If you have any specific examples to share, that would be great. I can't quite understand how anyone can do what you have mentioned.
    That one must tell the web master who put up the music to list down the countries.
    Haha I ever ask them. same thing they cannot give me the list... You can call them. PM me if you want to know who to look for.
    Last edited by blurrblurr; 8th July 2009 at 04:52 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

I've asked before, they can't give list. I suspect there's no list to begin with :P

Anyway I was more asking about the royalty free label. I've not used royalty free music before so I don't know where such labels come from; or are used in what context.

I would say that in the circumstances you have highlighted, such music cannot correctly be called "royalty free" music. I believe that reference to "royalty free" music by others in this thread are those who are truly and really royalty free, not some back door sneak attack types.

That one must tell the web master who put up the music to list down the countries.
    Haha I ever ask them. same thing they cannot give me the list... You can call them. PM me if you want to know who to look for.

I've asked before, they can't give list. I suspect there's no list to begin with :P

Anyway I was more asking about the royalty free label. I've not used royalty free music before so I don't know where such labels come from; or are used in what context.

I would say that in the circumstances you have highlighted, such music cannot correctly be called "royalty free" music. I believe that reference to "royalty free" music by others in this thread are those who are truly and really royalty free, not some back door sneak attack types.
    Yes I totally agree with you actually. Anyway this compass thingy, copyright thingy really frustrated me and I stop buy CD from then on. So much support of buying original CD for so many years and they came out these ruling in recent years only.

okay, now i'm confused
    please excuse me
    so in other words, most likely, is still illegal if one is creatin a video with music, for its own use? and showcase to his guest?

in other words, no commercial value was involved.
    hmm...

anyone kana fine b4? on such matters ? be it for commercial use, or personal use? etc?

Yes I totally agree with you actually. Anyway this compass thingy, copyright thingy really frustrated me and I stop buy CD from then on. So much support of buying original CD for so many years and they came out these ruling in recent years only.
    actually.. even if you have your own CD, by right , you can only listen to yourself. you cant broadcast it on your cdplayer to speaker and play it ..

i recalled few years ago , there was an article in the newspaper about malay wedding playing music under the block and got fined for illegal broadcasting. even if you have no DJ, have your own speakers and just play normal music, its still illegal.

i recalled in the early 2000s, friends and I set up "internet radio" and we streamed musics.. and when RIAA and RIAAS started to clampdown on musics, we were approached by a certain gov agency to help us become legal and serve the community.. aka For teens , By Teens.. but we never came to terms.. largely because

1) you have to pay for every single songs to be yours
    2) ownership aka copyright + royalty fees must be paid to recording company
    3) broadcasting fees

Not to mention musical royalties are often paid to separate individuals like the composer, record company, singer, song writer, etc. etc. The amount varies from situation to situation.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast