Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: how many of you edit pictures after taking a photo?

Default Re: how many of you edit pictures after taking a photo?

Photoshop is an art form more difficult to master than photography. That's what I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    To use photoshop well you also need skill right? Are you saying digital artists have no skill because they manipulate their art fully in Photoshop?

I have friends who have Lightroom but their photos still don't really improve after post-processing/editing. To say that a photographer's skill only applies to in-camera accuracy and not to post processing is narrowminded.
    First we need to determine is PS a part of photography...beacuse my thinking is they are 2 seperate kind of skill...and in here we are talking about photography (IMHO is = captureing a scence or a moment with the best skill and equipment we have) and PS (IMHO is = enhanceing/manipulate of a product) Whats photography before the time where PS is not around...has photography evolve into something that must go along with PS.

I just view out that if rely too much on PS...than get a nokia 6500 will do , why get a D90 or 50D...

P.S. I am not agaiinst PS as I do use them myself but mostly in the basic touch...like exposure crop contrast...
    A photo is an art painted by light.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    Whats photography before the time where PS is not around...has photography evolve into something that must go along with PS.

Yes, if you understand what dark room process in the past is.........

First we need to determine is PS a part of photography...beacuse my thinking is they are 2 seperate kind of skill...and in here we are talking about photography (IMHO is = captureing a scence or a moment with the best skill and equipment we have) and PS (IMHO is = enhanceing/manipulate of a product) Whats photography before the time where PS is not around...has photography evolve into something that must go along with PS.

I just view out that if rely too much on PS...than get a nokia 6500 will do , why get a D90 or 50D...

P.S. I am not agaiinst PS as I do use them myself but mostly in the basic touch...like exposure crop contrast...
    Processing is not about reliance on PS to make your shitty shot into a heavenly shot. Maybe some people view it that way, but I would say that's manipulation already. What is photography before the time Photoshop is around? Film and the traditional darkroom.

Are you going to tell people to submit the rolls of film unprocessed to the client? In the same manner, even though a JPG file is somewhat manipulated by the camera, the onus is on the photographer to ensure that a certain standard of uniformity and consistency is maintained through post processing. This includes sorting the good ones from the bad ones, colour correction, treatment, contrast adjustment, cropping, removing blemishes (in portraiture and other photography genres where flattery is of utmost importance) and so on.

This brings your photography up one level in terms of the fact that across your range of images, you have a consistency that not only comes from the compositional elements and capturing a photograph, but also a consistent treatment. If you look at even motion picture films. You will seldom see flat images. There is always high key and low key lighting, and various treatments (think 300, or The Matrix) that are partially brought out through capturing the footage (or photos), and then also in the post production stages (in our case, post processing photos).

Of course, if you want to make an image look radioactive, then that's just your problem. Haha.

You are right in term of producing a good end result for viewer...and I do agree with that. But If one reply too much on PS do he still need a good photography skill?

I do learn something and opened up my mind in this discussion...I agree on post possesing but still I cannot accept that one use editing on PS till the end result tell a different story from the inital source data. That my POV.

You are right in term of producing a good end result for viewer...and I do agree with that. But If one reply too much on PS do he still need a good photography skill?

I do learn something and opened up my mind in this discussion...I agree on post possesing but still I cannot accept that one use editing on PS till the end result tell a different story from the inital source data. That my POV.
    That will be called manipulating... PP does not equate to manipulating...

... one use editing on PS till the end result tell a different story from the inital source data. That my POV.
    I think you and I already know that this above statement is not referring to post process (PP), but rather manipulation. I also believe that I've defined this difference quite clearly in my post, and listed what I clearly see as PP and what I see as manipulation.

Abit confuse...
    My POV is can use Photoshop (PS) for mild Post Processing (PP)...as what many of us here and myself are doing...
    But not using PS for editing (or manipulating in the term use here) of till end result diff from initial source. (like someone I know who PS till nokia 6500 shot can compare to a 50D)

Some where around here editing,manipulating,post-processing is all mixed up...maybe is only me...

BTW ...me just a newbie here...only stating my POV (be it right or wrong) so can understand more from the discussion...most important me dont want start a arguement...and not insisting on my say (I might be totally wrong).

I edit using Photoshop. It's part of the digital workflow.

Besides doing stuff like cropping, getting the colour temperature right, getting the brightness/contrast right, etc... I also correct colour cast reflected from coloured surfaces. Blemishes will also disappear, and eyebags and wrinkles are lightened.

Everyone's digital workflow is different. If you are a journalist, then there are rules to the type of editing you can do. But if you are taking photos for yourself, then it's really up to you.

You can't save a photography with bad composition using PP.

Abit confuse...
    My POV is can use Photoshop (PS) for mild Post Processing (PP)...as what many of us here and myself are doing...
    But not using PS for editing (or manipulating in the term use here) of till end result diff from initial source. (like someone I know who PS till nokia 6500 shot can compare to a 50D)

Some where around here editing,manipulating,post-processing is all mixed up...maybe is only me...
    Seems as though it's a matter of terminology.

Did you know the term "editing" also refers to sorting and selecting photos? That's what a photo editor does (among other things) in a press setting.

Quote Originally Posted by wenbin0215 View Post
    i thought that is almost is must to every photographers here..

i don't even see any pictures that are un-PP here any longer..
    True, but recently i found that i do not want to sharpen the image anymore, just the exposure.

But this kind of manupulation is done by the photographer skill not like those photoshop which is done by software. I prefer not to or use as little as possible on PS...cause I had one friend who PS skill so good that even a nokia 6500 photo can turn into a pro shot like those taken in 50D.
    I'm not even going to waste another minute trying to explain why post editing is part and parcel of the photography workflow, especially with digital photography. That has been discussed to death already. Everybody draws a line. Where that line is, is up to you. If you think things coming straight out of the camera is good enough, that's good enough for me.

P.S. Like I mentioned before, things coming out from the camera are also manipulated by a computer. Basic post editing workflow wouldn't be that much different to what the camera would do. I would keep an open mind.

I think that the most important is the concept and message you wanna convey through your photo, if a person looks at it and can understand what you are trying to show.. you succeed.

Like what many have mentioned, post production has been around since film age, which is your darkroom. Many of your tools in your photoshop are really modeled after darkroom techniques e.g burning

The only difference is that digital technology brings the fun of what was once expensive closer to many amateurs like myself to pick up the fun which i think many have forgotten..

Remember you pick up this interest because u enjoyed it...so enjoy

just don't like it so much when photos are edited to the point of looking unreal and unrepresentative...
    d850 | a7r3 | I1P | P4P | Videos | Photos | Aerials

Only time I skiped PP is when I used 24-70 mmf2.8 Nikkor...
    PG
    M8 - M2 - Voigtlander R3A - 50 cron v5 - 75 cron - 35/2.5 CV classic - OMD - few M42's

i don edit my photos n ppl likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost04 View Post
    i don edit my photos n ppl likes it.
    So you mean after a shoot you just show people the photos straight from after the shoot? You don't sort through them to weed out the bad ones?

go home sort out the bad ones first then develope the good ones...
    usually to double comfirm i will take more than one shot of the same scene...if time permits the bad ones can weed out on the spot...
    some ppl prefer their picture to look as natural as through the naked eye..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast