Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: how many of you edit pictures after taking a photo?

Default Re: how many of you edit pictures after taking a photo?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    keep one image or throw one image also consider editing,

so who on earth take photos never edit?
    Sadly this is becoming the most neglected part of the editing.
    Not willing to choose the 'best' among the good images shot.

In the end show all....

I never see anything wrong with digitally editing photos. Unless otherwise stated in the rules of a competition you are participating in or something, I really don't see why we can't do anything we want to our photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash View Post
    In the end show all....
    it is ok if it is nice..

but most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Hi all, Everything is an art and doing things is also an art as how you should do it and what is the best way of doing it and the best way is your thinking of it.
    i love this line of thinking, but i have to disagree, because under this definition,

a pigeon having diarrhoea is an artist

oh okie thnx guys... i learn alot from u guys thnx..
    |Nikon D60|Nikon D80|18-55mm|
    www.flickr.com/photos/vorcephotography

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i love this line of thinking, but i have to disagree, because under this definition,

a pigeon having diarrhoea is an artist
    But in the eyes of another pigeon that has a fecal fetish, it might be considered art!

I almost always edit my pictures... but usually some simple actions like, e.g. converting to B&W, contrast, curves, clone/heal ... stuffs like that
    Playing with M43.

i will stop PP once i can confirm my shots are picture perfect straight from the camera...then again, who can claim that? PP will always enhance the "best shot", be it cropping, vignette, colors, effects, whatever.

I do editing only when I have a good photo.Then I just delete the rest of the mediocre ones.

Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    Pin-hole camera is the purest form. Cannot edit or post-process.
    u can.

try cross processing,
    push or pull during developing,....

well,
    my training stop then so i believed i missed a lot more u can do.

Just my 2 cents. Editing a picture is really up to the preference of the photographer.
    Editing is a tool that a photographer uses to help convey the mood and meaning of the
    photograph better. Photography is the beauty of freezing reality and of course photographs
    are far from reality. For eg: Low shutter speeds to emphasize the motion of waterfalls.
    This itself is a manipulation of reality right? So TS, chill out and just take shots your way,
    process it your way. Enjoy what you're doing cos life is short.

On a side note: I've always admired nat geo photographers. Their ability to produce such
    intense shots without processing (tight work schedule) has always amazed me. Well, thats why they belong to Nat Geo.

Quote Originally Posted by ricolarr View Post
    On a side note: I've always admired nat geo photographers. Their ability to produce such
    intense shots without processing (tight work schedule) has always amazed me. Well, thats why they belong to Nat Geo.
    i like their shots, best in the line...but sure or not the editors don edit them in some way? not the photographers themself, but the mag editors...they have a tendancy to...edit things...those editors...
    おれのflickrださ

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    i like their shots, best in the line...but sure or not the editors don edit them in some way? not the photographers themself, but the mag editors...they have a tendancy to...edit things...those editors...
    Now that you mention it, it is possible huh. But I know alot of them bring notebooks/macs
    along with them when shooting, so every shot that is taken is straight away uploaded to the company's gallery. Like for example, sports photographers. The shots they take all straight away uploaded.

Quote Originally Posted by ricolarr View Post
    While i acknowledge they have skills, I do not believe they do not process their photos. Is there an explicit claim registered somewhere stating they take as-is direct out of the camera?

Quote Originally Posted by icelava View Post
    While i acknowledge they have skills, I do not believe they do not process their photos. Is there an explicit claim registered somewhere stating they take as-is direct out of the camera?
    nay...never seen such claim, and it is folly for nat geo not to edit the photos in some way. some of the photos were way too gritty to be as-is, and some are just too spectacular as-is....hmmm....they're not editorial type photos right?
    おれのflickrださ

I do believe there is always some leeway even for press/documentarial photographers to do minor tweaking. This usually just encompasses cropping, contrast adjustment and colour correction. Very basic stuff.

Of course, for editorial works, such as portraiture, there is even more leeway in image control.

The very action of taking a photo with the camera, is in itself a form of manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    I do believe there is always some leeway even for press/documentarial photographers to do minor tweaking. This usually just encompasses cropping, contrast adjustment and colour correction. Very basic stuff.
    I believe the rule of thumb for publications is you can enhance the picture to give a better telling of the details (adjust WB, contrast, etc). But you cannot manipulate the pic to tell a lie (change that can of 100 Plus in the politician's hand into a can of Heineken).

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    The very action of taking a photo with the camera, is in itself a form of manipulation.
    But this kind of manupulation is done by the photographer skill not like those photoshop which is done by software. I prefer not to or use as little as possible on PS...cause I had one friend who PS skill so good that even a nokia 6500 photo can turn into a pro shot like those taken in 50D.
    A photo is an art painted by light.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    But this kind of manupulation is done by the photographer skill not like those photoshop which is done by software. I prefer not to or use as little as possible on PS...cause I had one friend who PS skill so good that even a nokia 6500 photo can turn into a pro shot like those taken in 50D.
    To use photoshop well you also need skill right? Are you saying digital artists have no skill because they manipulate their art fully in Photoshop?

I have friends who have Lightroom but their photos still don't really improve after post-processing/editing. To say that a photographer's skill only applies to in-camera accuracy and not to post processing is narrowminded.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast