Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Would like to take up photography as a hobby

  1. #21

    Default Re: Would like to take up photography as a hobby

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Firstly a warm welcome to you.

    Now, you said that yo have 0 experience in photography, so why do you want a DSLR? Do you think that owning a DSLR will give you 100% good pictures? How much do you understand about photography & a DSLR? What category of photographs are you taking with the cam?

    Do you know what are the things involved in getting a DSLR? Lenses, Filters, Dry cabinet, have you factor in the costs of these?


    Yes i understand owning so called higher end equipment when u lack the experience is not going to improve your photo taking but i have thought along these lines.


    Getting a DSLR would be a wiser investment rather than simply getting a plain digi cam simply cos in future when i start to improve i do not have to go out and buy a dslr since i already own one.

    Take note i'm not going to go all out and get all sorts of camera equipment just something decent which is not too shabby.

    Using an entry level dslr would provide me experience in getting used to all the features that such a camera has so if i decide to upgrade in future it won't so difficult to adapt to newer features.

    Nowadays all pictures are taken digitally. This means that there's no danger of wasting film taking a bad shot. If a shot looks bad i'll simply delete it.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Would like to take up photography as a hobby

    Quote Originally Posted by jones24 View Post
    Yes i understand owning so called higher end equipment when u lack the experience is not going to improve your photo taking but i have thought along these lines.


    Getting a DSLR would be a wiser investment rather than simply getting a plain digi cam simply cos in future when i start to improve i do not have to go out and buy a dslr since i already own one.

    Take note i'm not going to go all out and get all sorts of camera equipment just something decent which is not too shabby.

    Using an entry level dslr would provide me experience in getting used to all the features that such a camera has so if i decide to upgrade in future it won't so difficult to adapt to newer features.

    Nowadays all pictures are taken digitally. This means that there's no danger of wasting film taking a bad shot. If a shot looks bad i'll simply delete it.
    Glad that you have given this a serious thought, but do note that technology keeps improving every second and a 'not too shabby' cam now may be over the hill by the time you improved, with things like Live view and Movie recording now, are you able to live with a decent but old 6MP DSLR without all these features? Who knows, there may be new features in future cams too.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: Would like to take up photography as a hobby

    Hi Jones24,

    Welcome to CS, we shall all learn together...

  4. #24

    Default Re: Would like to take up photography as a hobby

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Glad that you have given this a serious thought, but do note that technology keeps improving every second and a 'not too shabby' cam now may be over the hill by the time you improved, with things like Live view and Movie recording now, are you able to live with a decent but old 6MP DSLR without all these features? Who knows, there may be new features in future cams too.

    How about X-Ray shooting mode, mp3 in future cams? The same goes to handphone. Nowadays, handphone is more than a phone to just make a call. Maybe the future of DSLR will goes to the same path. Hope not though. hehe
    Ronald Lee | DSLR World
    Armed | Nikon D90 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR | Canon Ixus i-Zoom Compact

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Would like to take up photography as a hobby

    My advice is this, consider taking a structured course like those offered at PSS (Photographic Society of Singapore) or other places first. After a couple of lessons, you should know the basics and you can do some research on the side on what you want.

    Once you decide (i would advise getting an 2nd hand dslr as well), search in B&S thread here or visit shops at peninsula.. there's a couple that sells 2nd hand items near cathay etc. Make your purchase and happy shootinG!

  6. #26
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: Would like to take up photography as a hobby

    $800-$1k?
    Hmm.. How about Olympus E-420?

    It's selling <$1000.
    Check out Audio House..

  7. #27
    Member Reim1o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: Would like to take up photography as a hobby

    Just a little more advice, don't be hasty choosing a dslr just because of the camera and the lens you are going to buy, you need to take account of the whole system.
    E.g. Sure brand A has body image stabilizer, but you need to know your lenses need as well and check if the system has it and how it performs, etc.

  8. #28
    Member Reim1o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: Would like to take up photography as a hobby

    Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    $800-$1k?
    Hmm.. How about Olympus E-420?

    It's selling <$1000.
    Check out Audio House..
    At least get one with body stabilizer. Check the new olympus ep-1, its 800$ too, in usd though

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    545

    Default Re: Would like to take up photography as a hobby

    this is totally OT, but when I saw the thread title, I thought I saw:
    "Would like to take up photographer as a hubby"

  10. #30

    Default Re: Would like to take up photography as a hobby

    Just to share, before i bought my DSLR. i did alot of readings and had to actually learn many things like lens, filter, dry cabinet. Including terms people use like "PP", "FOV" and alot more.

    I suggest you take the time to read or ask someone who owns a DSLR to guide you along. For that budget, get a 2nd-hand perhaps to try out. I got a D70 in CS for about 400bugs along with the kit lens. It was quite a good buy.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Would like to take up photography as a hobby

    Quote Originally Posted by glenntaubenfeld View Post
    Just to share, before i bought my DSLR. i did alot of readings and had to actually learn many things like lens, filter, dry cabinet. Including terms people use like "PP", "FOV" and alot more.

    I suggest you take the time to read or ask someone who owns a DSLR to guide you along. For that budget, get a 2nd-hand perhaps to try out. I got a D70 in CS for about 400bugs along with the kit lens. It was quite a good buy.


    Yes i guess i need to do more research thanks everyone for your input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •