Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: rig for shooting cars?

  1. #1

    Default rig for shooting cars?

    does anyone have any recommendation?i need one that's sturdy enough to hold a heavy dslr.
    i did try searching and googling for it but to no avail.

    please help.

  2. #2

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    does anyone have any recommendation?i need one that's sturdy enough to hold a heavy dslr.
    i did try searching and googling for it but to no avail.

    please help.
    There's a really long thread here on car rigs, http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...hlight=suction

  3. #3
    Member tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    My answer in post #14 found in this thread:

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450516

    Hope this helps

  4. #4

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    thanks guy.
    i thought singapore has shops that carries them.

  5. #5
    Member tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    I doubt there are any shops selling locally, only way is to buy online or custom-made locally.

    I have thought of making one BUT don't have really nice cars to shoot, so ideal is dropped. It
    quite easy to custom-made, only a few things you need to buy e.g. 2 or 3 suction cups,
    1 Manfrotto magic arm or equivalent and 3 super clamps. The rest e.g. aluminum poles etc made locally.

    Cheers
    Last edited by tim; 6th July 2009 at 05:16 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    I believe Andy Wee does a lot of automotive commercial photography. He posted a red bull f1 shoot last year on the forums. (http://www.andywee.com/)

  7. #7

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    3 suction cups can hold the weight of a d3?
    if it drops on the tarmac, that's it.

  8. #8

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    I believe Andy Wee does a lot of automotive commercial photography. He posted a red bull f1 shoot last year on the forums. (http://www.andywee.com/)
    ya i know.but him being a professional, i dont really wanna get slam by knocking on his door and asking him to share his trade secrets.

  9. #9
    Member tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    3 suction cups can hold the weight of a d3?
    if it drops on the tarmac, that's it.
    Those are 6 or 8 inches heavy-duty industrial suction cup that take 6 kg load or more,
    how much is your D3 plus your biggest lens weighted




  10. #10

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Those are 6 or 8 inches heavy-duty industrial suction cup that take 6 kg load or more,
    how much is your D3 plus your biggest lens weighted



    oic!thanks so much for info.i thought those normal glass suction cups used to hold sunshades.
    LOL

    gosh...even if to setup a rig like that, i guess the photoshopping will kill!

  11. #11

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    oic!thanks so much for info.i thought those normal glass suction cups used to hold sunshades.
    LOL

    gosh...even if to setup a rig like that, i guess the photoshopping will kill!
    sunglass are just a tad lighter than your d3.

  12. #12

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    what kind of suction cups are so strong to hold the cameras on these cars going so fast?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omzLJ...related:dunno:
    and the best thing is, they dont look as bulky as the ones you showed me tim.

  13. #13
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    with a slow shutter speed, you don't need to drive fast
    in fact you don't really need to start the engine at all

  14. #14

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    with a slow shutter speed, you don't need to drive fast
    in fact you don't really need to start the engine at all
    huh?
    if car stationary how to do panning shots?
    dont tell me photoshop.
    i dont like.

  15. #15
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?


  16. #16
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    huh?
    if car stationary how to do panning shots?
    dont tell me photoshop.
    i dont like.
    the engine does not need to be running for the car to move right?

  17. #17

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    the engine does not need to be running for the car to move right?
    have to!else the trans game over.unless you are referring to manual cars.
    and i think it's crazy to shoot panning with the car not started!
    are you joking or what?

  18. #18

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    have to!else the trans game over.unless you are referring to manual cars.
    and i think it's crazy to shoot panning with the car not started!
    are you joking or what?
    Shot at slow shutter speeds, usually the cars are in neutral and pulled along. Or driven very slowly.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    have to!else the trans game over.unless you are referring to manual cars.
    and i think it's crazy to shoot panning with the car not started!
    are you joking or what?
    Cars don't have to be shot at a very high moving speed to gain the panning effect. If manual, one can tow the car..
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  20. #20
    Member tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: rig for shooting cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    what kind of suction cups are so strong to hold the cameras on these cars going so fast?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omzLJ...related:dunno:
    and the best thing is, they dont look as bulky as the ones you showed me tim.
    The link that ortega posted show all kind of suction cups (pick one), judging from some of
    the images posted, do you think they hold the camera . The three suction cups setup
    shown, should be sturdy.

    I saw a couple of video that shown the rig mounted on the drift car, they were shooting
    while the car are drifting along. You know you can drift using second gear right , a
    properly made rig should handle with ease.

    I race before and since you love race car, maybe race in the race track too, you'll know
    what a roll cage. Just clamp a Superclamp with a small ball head to the cross section of
    the roll cage behind the bucket seat, and mounted the DSLR to shoot.

    To shoot like the video in that youtube, instead of a DSLR, mount a small HDV camcorder
    and shoot away. Like you mentioned this setup will be very small.
    Last edited by tim; 11th July 2009 at 02:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •