Thread: advice on actual day wedding shoot

Deregistered

Default advice on actual day wedding shoot

Hii All,

I will have a chance to do actual day wedding.. well, this is my first time to do it.
    May I have advice/suggestion for things that I should prepare for it?

Things that come on my mind are :
    - Lens, still wondering which lens/lenses that would be much useful?
    - Bag, currently use backpack bag, does it will give me trouble when I need to change lens or to take things from it?
    - Battery, currently I have 2 pcs. Do they enough? How about batteries for external flash?

Any other suggestions will be very helpful..

Another one, which moments that I should take note to take a shoot?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: advice on actual day wedding shoot

I think this has been asked before, maybe you would like to do a search for more details.

Anyway, to answer you,

Depends on your style, some like to shoot wide, while some like to shoot closer up with a tele lens. Some use a zoom lens while others use a prime lens.

- Bag, currently use backpack bag, does it will give me trouble when I need to change lens or to take things from it?
    Backpacks may be more difficult when you want to reach into your bag to get things.

- Battery, currently I have 2 pcs. Do they enough? How about batteries for external flash?
    Charge the exhausted one when you have a chance if you are covering the full day, but so far my Sony ones are pretty good and 2 batteries can last me a full day with spare juice.

For external flashes, better to have 2 fresh sets.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

1) It's too much of a hassle to change lenses on wedding or any other events for that matter. If you're carrying one body, any lens of your taste to cover the 17-85 focal range (35mm equivalent) would suffice. But I reckon a fast lens would work to an advantage both for speed and bokeh. If two bodies, the 17-40 + 50 combi has been working for me. Banquet for me is 17-40 and 70-200 (almost a must).

2) I rarely change lenses during such events. For wedding, my bags are not even with me. Nevertheless, I only have sling bags, the million dollars from Crumpler.

3) Depending on your battery life, 2 may be enough if they're new but for me I have 4X BP-511A (2 original) for 5D, 3X LP-E6 for 5DII and 24X AA rechargables for 2 speedlites. 32GB of CF Cards.

Moments ah... just don't miss the good ones lor... you'll know when you're there and don't get gan chiong, you'll stress everyone there. LOL. If you need a certain angle or pose from the couple, ask them nicely lor. Be their 'friend' for the day and not the 'photographer'.

Tip: Don't bring your entire dry cabinet she bang worth of equipment for the assignment LOL. If you don't have assistants, be light. In fact, other than the above, I also have packets of tissues and nothing else - I think all enough for the day for me.
    Last edited by rendition; 6th July 2009 at 11:16 AM.

Blog Entries

'search' function is your best friend

i seriously hope that you are not going to be the main photographer...... if they have a main photographer, just keep your eyes open and observe.
    Last edited by ed9119; 6th July 2009 at 11:22 AM.

#1, keep your set up simple, a kit lens like 18~55 able to cover more than 90% of the shots during a wedding day and night event, since you have NO experience on shooting wedding, why waste time on deciding what lenses to use DURING a wedding?

#2, bring enough batteries and CF cards for the whole day, that include back up. also back up for the gears too.

#3, get a detail itinerary from the couple, make notes on what are the MUST take shots and stick to it, so you will not miss out something if nobody prompt you.

#4, you should be competent about your basic photography skills, if not, just be very honest to tell the couple you are taking them as guinea pigs.
    Last edited by catchlights; 6th July 2009 at 11:55 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hahaha... I believe you meant guinea pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by rendition View Post
    Hahaha... I believe you meant guinea pigs.
    Thanks for the pointing out the error.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Most importantly, enjoy the process! It's tiring but it's fun too

I hope you're not the main paid photographer. If you are, I think it's important to let the couple know of your lack of experience in this field.

mikha, thanks for posting this thread.
    I wanted to post it too, as I'm gonna be my couz's wedding "spare" photographer soon.

Hmm, good advice for me too.
    Thinking of using my Olympus 40-150mm kit lens + FL-36 flash for it since I'm not the paid photographer..

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    mikha, thanks for posting this thread.
    I wanted to post it too, as I'm gonna be my couz's wedding "spare" photographer soon.

Hmm, good advice for me too.
    Thinking of using my Olympus 40-150mm kit lens + FL-36 flash for it since I'm not the paid photographer..
    welcome

anyway, I also not the paid photographer, am only volunteer on that event.
    I did tell them that I still learning..

To know more about the preparation is good (i think), even only can do some of it since this is the first time.

So what I need is some suggestions from those who is well experienced on this event.

The 18-55 or 17-50 will do the trick on a crop body. You could also get an 85mm 1.8 on another crop body if you find yourself having to use 2 cameras.

Highly recommend that you carry everything you need on you. Put your CF cards, batteries into your pockets or a belt pouch and swap as required. Bodies strap from your shoulders. Quite silly IMO to be wearing so formally and having to carry a bag around.

Should be enough if you only use 1 body. Get 2 more if you plan on using a second body. For flash, charge 2 sets for each flash unit.

Good luck and have fun at your first wedding shoot

since you are the 2nd photographer...there should be a few things you should take note.

never get in the way of the main photographer.
    you might have the urge to get THE shot, but remember that you are the 2nd PG and I am sure the main PG will not be happy that you are always lurking in his viewfinder.

especially for those important shots, such as when the couple is about the kiss or exchange drinks.
    do let the main PG get his shot first.
    if you are trigger happy, and your flash going non-stop, the main PG might not be able to get his shot.

finally, just enjoy..but remember your position and role.

more importantly, talk to the main PG (when he is free) and learn more!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by grainpixel View Post
    since you are the 2nd photographer...there should be a few things you should take note.

never get in the way of the main photographer.
    you might have the urge to get THE shot, but remember that you are the 2nd PG and I am sure the main PG will not be happy that you are always lurking in his viewfinder.

especially for those important shots, such as when the couple is about the kiss or exchange drinks.
    do let the main PG get his shot first.
    if you are trigger happy, and your flash going non-stop, the main PG might not be able to get his shot.

finally, just enjoy..but remember your position and role.

more importantly, talk to the main PG (when he is free) and learn more!
    thanks for dropping by..

yes, I do take note to respect the main photographer

for important shoots like kiss or exchange drinks, is it possible to do 2 shoots (not in the same time) since the moment is maybe quite fast (for the kiss)?

Quote Originally Posted by mikha View Post
    thanks for dropping by..

yes, I do take note to respect the main photographer

for important shoots like kiss or exchange drinks, is it possible to do 2 shoots (not in the same time) since the moment is maybe quite fast (for the kiss)?
    Normally you have to be ready for such shots as it's quite hard to get them to repeat that scene once it's over. You have to go with the flow and know what to do and where to stand. If you are the 2nd photographer, there's no point in taking the same shots as the main. While he is shooting the toasting etc, you can shoot candids of the guest or the parents. These are the photos that would be useful as there's no point seeing the same thing but with diff angles. You also can volunteer to shoot the tableshots while the main do candids. I am sure he will thanks you for that.