Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Newbie wanna buy camer

  1. #1

    Default Newbie wanna buy camer

    HI! i m new here.
    friend recommended me this site to learn more about photography

    I wanted to buy DSLR.
    I dunno is it appropriate for me to start off with DSLR.
    My main focus isnt on photography.
    More towards graphic design
    But photos will be a good media for me to do my design and get inspiration

    I just read up a bit on DSLR offered.
    Personally i prefered Nikon D40
    It is light compare to other camera.
    Good for travel.

    Any other recommendation?
    I wanna do more towards landscape, sports and macro.
    Some camera that has good shutter speed
    Megapixel doesnt matter
    Price wise something cheaper.
    Perhaps something below $1000
    I dun mind older models.

    Friends recommended Canon 400D
    But when i search on reviews online.
    Majority prefers Nikon D40 over Canon 400D

    Anyone has any idea where to get Nikon 40D now?
    First hand preferably.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    493

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    how about the pentax K-m?
    light, small and dual kit lens around $830 i think

    heres a review

    http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_pentax_km.php

  3. #3

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    Where to get them in Singapore?
    Is that camera recently out only?
    Any place you noe that sell old DSLR models?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    Quote Originally Posted by Retard View Post
    Where to get them in Singapore?
    Is that camera recently out only?
    Any place you noe that sell old DSLR models?
    1. All over the place. There are electronics shops everywhere.
    2. The D40 is very very old and obsolete. I recommend a Sony A200 or A230. More features.
    3. Yes, clubsnap's marketplace section.
    Alpha

  5. #5

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    Quote Originally Posted by Retard View Post
    Where to get them in Singapore?
    Is that camera recently out only?
    Any place you noe that sell old DSLR models?
    Pentax Km
    OP have stocks. KM + dual kit lens - $830

    Otherwise I'd recommend MSColor. They should be able to bring in on request (should be within 1 wk)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    I went to search btwn A200 and A230. They dun have much difference bwtn each right?
    Price range?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    Quote Originally Posted by Retard View Post
    I went to search btwn A200 and A230. They dun have much difference bwtn each right?
    Price range?
    The A230 is smaller and lighter, pic quality was improved a bit and it has a VERY user-friendly menu to really help newbies. You can get it for about 800 SGD with the kit 18-55 lens.
    Alpha

  8. #8

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    I think Olympus is good too. Am using Olympus E510 and I kinda like it. If you're new to photopgraphy, why not get a 2nd hand DSLR instead and then upgrade to a better and new one when you''re more into it?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    hi there,

    I will suggest going for a point&shoot camera if you passion lean more towards graphic design or visual arts.

    You mention about photos will be a good platform for your design/inspiration and by being inspiration means everyday/daily life whatever you wanna call it IMO. A dSLR of cause helps a lot in the detail of the shots but it can't beat the compactness of a p&s BUT of cause its just my opinion here.

    You get what i mean..

  10. #10
    Member deepanshus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    199

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    i would rather suggest going for a PnS (read prosumer camera), i have both a prosumer also and a PnS also and now planning on DSLR. A prosumer camera like the Nikon P5100 (http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem....ad59bcd)...but BEWARE of one thing, this particular market segment is overly hyped And marketed. Few key features to look for is such a camera is

    1) Sensor Size
    2) IS feature
    3) Program Modes available
    4) 35mm Focal equivalent (if lower end is in range of ~24, then you are wide)

    Most hyped and useless feature is the Megapixel!!

    In these camera, you can also go in for a convertor http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem....995-863a845162 to go more wide if required.

    Just my 2 cents, dont be bogged down by my product suggestions, i just took the first example that came from the Nikon site, do your research.

    DeepS
    ps: I would strongly recommend against SONY, have 3 and IQ is not good

  11. #11

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    Many have suggested a PnS, and their points are valid esp. in terms of compactness. I'd be the devil's advocate and persuade you to get a DSLR. The Pentax Km as I suggested earlier is $830 which is not too far from an advanced PnS ($600+). It already comes with 2 lenses (18-55; 55-200) which covers what you need well esp. since you are looking at design and inspiration and will not require extremely fast lenses (the lenses offered are no slouch either). Image quality aside (PnS are quite capable as well), you will get more artistic options with the various lenses, focal lengths, depth of field (this area a PnS is weak b'cause of sensor size/lens design), precise exposure control on a DSLR. The DSLR (Km) is not too big either and will easily go into a bag. This can apply to other brands like Olympus or Panasonic as well, though I have no idea on their pricing.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    TS wants to do "landscape, sports and macro"

    If I recall correctly, PnS are never wide enough to do proper landscape, fast enough to do sports and mediocre at best when doing macro.

    PnS are best at compactness/convenience/cost effective.

    A compact/light weight dSLR is the best bet for TS and although the D40 is old but it's no slough.
    Last edited by Emerpus; 6th July 2009 at 11:11 AM.
    Nikon D700|AF 20 2.8D|AF 50 1.4D|SB-900
    http://LivingInSingaporeToday.com

  13. #13

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    Quote Originally Posted by Emerpus View Post
    TS wants to do "landscape, sports and macro"
    ALL newbies on here want to do "landscape, sports and macro". :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Emerpus View Post
    If I recall correctly, PnS are never wide enough to do proper landscape, fast enough to do sports and mediocre at best when doing macro.
    Many PnS cameras have 20-24mm wide angle capability, which is not bad at all. Macro wise, many of the bridge cameras do surprisingly well. Sports? True, but which sports exactly? If it's in bright daylight, then yes, they're fast enough. And you don't need to buy a dedicated macro, dedicated wide-angle or dedicated telephoto lens.


    Quote Originally Posted by Emerpus View Post
    PnS are best at compactness/convenience/cost effective.

    A compact/light weight dSLR is the best bet for TS and although the D40 is old but it's no slough.
    Not necessarily. If he gets a D40, he'll need to invest in lenses that cost 2-3x what his DSLR cost, plus a drycabinet, etc.

    TS, I suggest you stick to a good PnS/bridge camera, and only invest in a DSLR system if you're sure you need it.
    Alpha

  14. #14
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    Quote Originally Posted by Retard View Post
    HI! i m new here.
    friend recommended me this site to learn more about photography

    I wanted to buy DSLR.
    I dunno is it appropriate for me to start off with DSLR.
    My main focus isnt on photography.
    More towards graphic design
    But photos will be a good media for me to do my design and get inspiration

    I just read up a bit on DSLR offered.
    Personally i prefered Nikon D40
    It is light compare to other camera.
    Good for travel.

    Any other recommendation?
    I wanna do more towards landscape, sports and macro.
    Some camera that has good shutter speed
    Megapixel doesnt matter
    Price wise something cheaper.
    Perhaps something below $1000
    I dun mind older models.

    Friends recommended Canon 400D
    But when i search on reviews online.
    Majority prefers Nikon D40 over Canon 400D

    Anyone has any idea where to get Nikon 40D now?
    First hand preferably.
    You said yourself that you're not focusing on photography.... then why buy a DSLR? A PnS can also capture images for you to draw inspiration from for your graphic design.
    Exploring! :)

  15. #15
    Member deepanshus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    199

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    Just came accross this thread...might be of interest. A perfect package for your needs...

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539106

    Getting into DSLR without it being even a hobby is sheer waste of resources which could have gone into your graphics design training classes.

    DeepS
    CAVEAT EMPTOR! - Verify the product and price by your own means

  16. #16
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    ALL newbies on here want to do "landscape, sports and macro". :P
    Yeah, archery, fishing and chess are sports as well.

  17. #17
    Deregistered rgy1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    everyone is going to argue their case for the "brand" of camera they represent.. whether it be nikon, canon, olympus, sony, etc..
    the best thing is to just go to the shop, see which one "feels the best" and get that one... honestly nowdays they are all about the same with very similar price ranges...

    and no.. before someone says something im not trying to start a brand war

  18. #18

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    Quote Originally Posted by rgy1993 View Post
    everyone is going to argue their case for the "brand" of camera they represent.. whether it be nikon, canon, olympus, sony, etc..
    the best thing is to just go to the shop, see which one "feels the best" and get that one... honestly nowdays they are all about the same with very similar price ranges...

    and no.. before someone says something im not trying to start a brand war
    Heh, that's so true. We really need to put this up as a sticky. Or heck, even as a paragraph on the Newbie forum itself.

    Also, on that note, I'm finding a trend lately where quite a significant number of people I know, who have no interest in doing photography seriously, get a DSLR anyway because of the improvement in photos it gives. Unlike film days, where film is the same regardless of the camera, this time the medium which the photos are displayed (large high resolution monitors) and the image capturing sensor combined makes a difference.

  19. #19
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    yes it's true. A few of my friends bought DSLRs and still have very little clue about proper exposure.
    But the larger sensor, faster AF, larger LCD screen does help to make photography a much more enjoyable experience for them.
    Just a pity that they only use about 10% of their camera's ability.
    Exploring! :)

  20. #20

    Default Re: Newbie wanna buy camer

    I heard from my friend about the brand doesnt matter
    tat's why he recommended me an older model.
    He told me not worth buying the camera body so ex.
    Rather invest on the lens.

    I cant say i totally has no interest in photography.
    Photography can reli help a lot in terms of concept and for design

    As for the types of sports.
    Mayb sports like skating.
    More interested in macros.
    Mayb sometimes some night landscape, nature kinda landscape.

    The image taken is not jus a reference
    I might have to require to add in some layers, filters and stuff on the image.
    Its part of the work, not reli purely a ref for drawing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •