View Poll Results: Which one will you choose?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canon 500D with 18-200IS

17 29.31%
  • Nikon D90 with 18-105VR

41 70.69%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which one you prefer if given the same price?

Default Re: Which one you prefer if given the same price?

Quote Originally Posted by godaikyoko View Post
    Hi all,

After so much research and broswing the forum for months, i still not so sure which is the best package for me.

If both given the same price which one will you choose and why?

1. Canon 500D with 18-200IS Lens
    2. Nikon D90 with 18-105VR

Read so much on the net, and most conclude that D90 is a better body... but Canon 500D given with better Lens.... headache..

Can you guys give me more advise on this?

Thanks,
    Alan
    Pentax K7. But only if you know what you are doing. Has just about everything from body based IS to low light noise reduction.

between the 2 you choose, an advanced option is to get a Canon body and the Nikon to Canon lens adapter which lets your canon use nikon lenses.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

To TS (godaikyoko), your poll has little meaning, because as many have said, the Nikon users will vote Nikon, and the Canon users will vote Canon.
    Both are good cameras.

Just a point I wanted to bring up about the lens.
    I have the D80 w the 18-135 kit lens. Initially when I was blur blur I also thought only about the focal range. But now I realize that I hardly go past 80 or 90mm since I much prefer the wider angles. Hence I bought an ultra-wide lens 12-24mm, which is now on my camera about 90% of the time (the other 10% is the 50mm f/1.8 and my kit lens). Therefore my point I'm trying to make is that Canon 18-200 doesn't necessarily BEAT the Nikon 18-105 simply because it has a greater focal range. It's certainly more convenient, but 'better' is a very subjective term. I don't know enough about the Canon to comment.
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 9th July 2009 at 04:43 PM.
    Exploring! :)

To TS - I am in the same position as you are actually - debating over whether I should get the Nikon D90 or the Canon 500D. Tried out both cameras for a week each (now testing out the Canon) - both cameras take good photos, since I am the same person behind the camera I can't tell much difference between the two - but while the lighter weight of the Canon is a huge plus, especially for travelling, the Nikon feels a lot better in my hands. Haven't really decided either way yet though.
    Nikon D90|Tokina 11-16|Nikkor 18-105|Nikon 70-300 VR|Nikon 50 f/1.8D|Nikon 35 f/1.8|

thanks for all the comments guys... i appreciate it.. i just got myself a D90 and learning more on it... i like it a lot

congratulations! Welcome to the Dark Side!

No wait... I haven't got a chance to say my camp is better!!!!!

No seriously.... glad that you made up your mind on which cam to get. Seen many post here commenting how good each camera is. I guess this is what the manufacturers are always trying to do themselves. I think the few best advise offered was just to go to the shops and try the camera out. Go with whichever you're comfortable with and don't look back.

Now that you've gotten your camera, go out and just shoot. And more importantly... have fun.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

Welcome to the World of NIKON. As some bro here said.
    NIKON = Camera & Camera = NIKON.
    Trust me, You will enjoy more with NIKON. Just like wearing NIKON logo on my chest feel better than wearing Canon logo on my chest.
    No offence to all Canonians, just my own feel.

I will choose Nikon over Canon..

Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    have you ever wondered, that the poll is inaccurate?

most of us here would have only used either system. they will not have used both and done comparisons enough to know which is actually better in this or that or anything.

D90 users will say D90 is the way to go. Canon users will say 500D is the way to go.
    Not really, I use Canon and I will still recommend D90 over 500D any day. Back in the day I bought my first dslr, Canon beat Nikon but now it's the other way around. Just like Intel vs AMD and ATI vs Nvidia.

From my experience here's what I deduce about Canon & Nikon while trying not to be biased:

- Canon has more newer lenses types but Nikon is compatible with older lenses, albeit redundant (e.g. how many types of 50mm 1.4 does Nikon have?), while canon EF is not compatible with FD.
    - Canon trounced Nikon in primes department
    - Nikon trounced Canon in wide angle zoom
    - Canon trounced Nikon in special purpose lenses, like Tilt & Shift
    - Current sensor performance, Nikon wins hands down in iso & sharpness & dynamic range, everything, for the same class
    - But only Canon has reasonable priced 20+ mp full frame camera (until D700x is out maybe)
    - Nikon is stingier in bundled softwares
    - Nikon cameras has better grip
    - But it is larger than Canon
    - Nikon has better AF system

No brands war, just stating facts

some of your points are debatable, so I would advise not stating them as facts. This is basically YOUR OPINION. I prefer to keep MY OPINIONS to myself or share them on a personal basis with friends. Let's face it, we are all a bit biased based on our experiences. If I happened to buy a dodgy Nikon DSLR that broke down all the time, maybe I'd hate Nikons now... ~shrug~

Buying a camera is very much a personal choice, like buying a car. Many many people buy MPVs nowadays, but I personally wouldn't touch one with a 10ft pole.

- But only Canon has reasonable priced 20+ mp full frame camera (until D700x is out maybe)
    Nikon seems to want to stick to its rationale that less megapixels is more. Quite debatable whether the d700x will actually have a >20mp sensor. But that is for another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Reim1o View Post
    *cough* Sony A900 *cough*

exactly.... so those aren't facts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12