Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Microsoft mad or just greedy?

Quote Originally Posted by sriram
    Mirco$oft
    Lots of credibility here. How do you like it if I call it ¢anon?

Quote Originally Posted by sriram
    is not mad, just a very powerful and typically capitalistic monopoly. BTW the FAT file system is one of the worst performing file systems existing today. It's still around because it's a simple system, and it is easy to write device drivers for and consequently has been adopted in many devices. Almost every other current file system outperforms FAT in terms of performance, limitations and fragmentation. If this hits the market real bad, then it's just a matter of time before someone or some company writes another FS for embedded devices, or we adopt existing royalty-free file systems.
    Monopoly or not, which shareholder of a company likes it if the company does not ensure maximum legal returns in their investments? . HP earns a lot of money from the Laserjet patent, so does IBM, Qualcomm (owns the patents to CDMA). Please be realistic here.

Yes, FAT is slow and simplistic. However, it fits the bill where 1) like you said, easy to write device drivers for 2) widely adopted. But like what I said, how would US$0.25/S$0.40 or cap at US$250,000 (at 10^6 devices) "hits the market real bad" The cost of changing all the devices or the programming, etc will cost a lot more. In fact, to implement the other newer FS, the overall cost has to be taken into consideration.

Write another FS? Do tell me what other FS bridges across all existing desktop OSes? ext2/3? UFS? Don't forget that if you put the CF a new FS, the desktop OS must be able to talk to it...
    Last edited by Watcher; 6th December 2003 at 04:01 PM.

SD card also use the FAT system is it???

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    Lots of credibility here. How do you like it if I call it ¢anon?
    It is definitely alright, you can call it Canon with the cent.... we can go for Nikon or Minolta which is at least on Par ;P

For FAT, M$ has almost the monopoly of the desktop market and they are going to extend this monoply to all common household / Vehicles / Electronic product. I think they are looking at the rest of the equipments and place their emphasis on further creations.

One fine day everything we buy, we will have to pay royalities to M$.

For those who are biased against microsoft just because they earn a lot of money, please do not post here...

I personally do not like to see this thread turn into another microsoft-bashing-with-no-reason thread...

Thanks...
    Last edited by AReality; 7th December 2003 at 11:12 AM.

This article was in slashdot earlier in the week. Microsoft doesnt have the patents for the FAT file system, but the patents for using a short (the DOS 8 characters) and long file naming system in FAT. Yet another example of M$'s evil money grabbing schemes.

I find it strange that people complain about $0.45 and money grabbing, etc by MS, when there are worse money grabbers around. Eg, CD-R tax, RD-RAM fiasco, MP3 tax (yes, it is patented by the German research institude), 3G (which is CDMA-based).

Frankly, I see this thread mainly is a whinging thread. Nothing here, move along...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12