Thread: Chasing light at Redhill

Red face Chasing light at Redhill

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, Lighting, post processing, anything counts, thanks..

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Was trying to capture how light can affect the quality of an image, same image with different light makes a lot of difference.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    it was around 6.30 pm in the evening, taking a short photowalk to redhill mrt station from my work place.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    i think the colors of the evening really brought life to the buildings, the little 2 birds flying together adds to the image, so does the little tree leaves for the framing.
    Critiques are much welcomed, thanks..

Default Re: Chasing light at Redhill

This picture is a little bit of here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    This picture is a little bit of here and there.
    i don't really know how to process this, so what should i improve on?

Hmm maybe we should have a critique for beginner section cos I am also facing the same issue.. I just feel I need critique on everything.

1) Colour is okay. nice. But look a bit edited. (I looking at it from non calibrated monitor though)
    2) Idea behind composition is okay. Got birds, got tree. got building
    3) But.. No focus in the pic. I cannot find a focal point in the subject. Are you using the trees and building to frame the bird. Or are you using the tree to frame the building? Frame as in framing.. Basically I think we need at least a 1st point of focus. The picture seems to be made up of 3 background objects,
    Nikon D90
    AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G, AF-S VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G, SB600, 190CX3+486RC2

Composition wise, if the focus is on light then the rest of the elements (birds, tree silhouette, buildings) do not seem to support it or lead to it. Sometimes less is more and I often make the same mistake myself. The best remedy is take more shots of the same location from different perspectives/compositions.

Colour wise, I wonder what was it that captivated you in the first place? You mentioned "same image with different light makes a lot of difference", so how can this contrast be shown? Perhaps you need a sequence of photos to show the changing light instead of one static image?
    "...not taking what one doesn't desire is the hardest thing in the world" - Albert Camus

Pls have only 1 subject + sky in your photo. There are a few of small things, birds, flats, trees, sky.

The flat is showing only a small part of it. Can't really comment on the overall lighting since its not shining on a big portion of the landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Saycheese78 View Post
    Hmm maybe we should have a critique for beginner section cos I am also facing the same issue.. I just feel I need critique on everything.

1) Colour is okay. nice. But look a bit edited. (I looking at it from non calibrated monitor though)
    2) Idea behind composition is okay. Got birds, got tree. got building
    3) But.. No focus in the pic. I cannot find a focal point in the subject. Are you using the trees and building to frame the bird. Or are you using the tree to frame the building? Frame as in framing.. Basically I think we need at least a 1st point of focus. The picture seems to be made up of 3 background objects,
    its a bit edited, underexposing the sky a little in lightroom, its a cropped image actually, wanted to express nice lights(e.g golden hr) on the buildings and blend lights(mid day light) on the building shows a lot of difference.

composition wise, i must say, it was not really like a planned pic. i just saw a potential of a nice pic, try to compose it as nice as i could, then i took it.

nothing intersting in this photo to me.
    it lacks composition. - half crop/tilted flats dont help
    trees to the left serve nothing.

suggestion: recomposed and shoot again =)

just my 2 cents. dun be dishearten
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

Hi there,
    i feel that the tree should not be in the picture, and the building should be shot more in the picture.
    Maybe wait for a flock of birds to fly in the picture?

I like the feel of the picture it gives me. ;D

The colors on the picture is great. Was a little disappointed with the picture because of the title. Having to walk pass Redhill MRT almost everyday, there is nothing in the picture that shows about Redhill.

I'm thinking hard to say something; but I really have nothing to c&c. There is just nothing good or bad. Sorry TS, it just doesn't work for me.

Oh.. I like the colors of the sunset. But the photo is... below average. Firstly, what is your subject in focus? The birds? The Trees? The buildings? secondly, your composition is way off, go read up on how to compose your pictures. Thirdly, take note of your PP. The buildings appear a little purple-ish, also, the top right of the buildings is dark. Why is that so?

ha.. ok. thanks all for critiques. i'll improve on it

Your image lacks compositional thought. I can see what you're driving at with the building, the foliage and the birds, but unfortunately it just looks cluttered and messy. The eye wanders, not knowing what to fix on.

The sky looks too flat too. There's hardly any detail to show it's a sunset. There is a really artificial colour cast over the entire image, that leads the viewer to believe that the colour here was tweaked.

I shot something similar near Redhill before, near the market. Here it is:

Hi Atlanticblue,

I thought the contrast is good in this photo, especially the contrast between the buildings and the sky, good!

However, in terms of composition, it can be improved. There are some areas that are quite plain and your mention of the two birds is too small in scale to be conspicous or noticeable. The birds are too far to the left. An slightly earlier photo taken before this might have placed the birds somewhere in the middle and it will probably look better?

On the whole, not bad. It can be better though.

cropping off the tree and going for a 'widescreen' crop did it for me. it's poetic too, like two pigeons fleeing the pigeon holes. contrast between freedom and the restrictive lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Your image lacks compositional thought. I can see what you're driving at with the building, the foliage and the birds, but unfortunately it just looks cluttered and messy. The eye wanders, not knowing what to fix on.

The sky looks too flat too. There's hardly any detail to show it's a sunset. There is a really artificial colour cast over the entire image, that leads the viewer to believe that the colour here was tweaked.

I shot something similar near Redhill before, near the market. Here it is:

Nice!

I think the birds are distracting, especially since they are not your main focus.
    Also, the composition of the shot is poor as everything to towards the right, leaving lots of superfluous space on the left.
    I'm ohkay with the lighting and sharpness.