Thread: 'ghostly' effect

Default 'ghostly' effect

Hi guys. new to photography.

Any idea on how to take those 'ghostly' effects where you can have like 3 'ghostly' images of the same person in a single photo ? tried searchin a few photography websites but just cant it.

thanks alot in advance.

and any photography sites thats good in teaching 'special effects' ?

Default Re: 'ghostly' effect

It's call double exposure.

Is this pic below something you're looking for?

If yes, then you try using Picasa to do it.
    Find the effect under Collage.

Hope this helps.
    Btw, it's a common effect by Lomographers.

Some cameras support multiple exposures, just keep in mind the exposure. Each shot adds light to the existing frame.
    I had an unplanned 'ghost image' where I took long term exposure (25s) at Changi Bordwalk. Halfway through the time a woman stepped in front of the cam, looked down to the water and went off again. Took about 5s in total and gave a nice ghost image.

wow that was useful! i never knew picasa could do that. i only use it for resizing. :S thanks shaoken.

anyway nikkidi , i think you mean the same background but like a few of the same person all over and not solid? if thats what you mean , you can try putting your camera on a tripod , set the shutter speed to about 10 seconds , go to one spot and stant for a few seconds and then go somewhere else in the frame for the remaining time. i hope you get me..

Quote Originally Posted by coolin View Post
    wow that was useful! i never knew picasa could do that. i only use it for resizing. :S thanks shaoken.

anyway nikkidi , i think you mean the same background but like a few of the same person all over and not solid? if thats what you mean , you can try putting your camera on a tripod , set the shutter speed to about 10 seconds , go to one spot and stant for a few seconds and then go somewhere else in the frame for the remaining time. i hope you get me..
    something like that. its ermz. how to put it. its like i want 3 'ghostly' images of the same person in the picture doing something. say ... 1 lady sitting in the middle and a photographer taking photos from 3 different angles or sth ?

anyway thx thx for the above effects. pretty cool

coolin: You're welcome. Try exploring that function in Picasa. But be careful, resolution and orientation is best to be the same.
    nikkidi: Select 3 photos to do a "multiple exposure" under collage function. Same advice: Be careful, resolution and orientation is best to be the same.

For your info, the above shot is taken using Holga with 35mm Pano adapter..

Good luck..
    Last edited by shaoken; 4th July 2009 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkidi View Post
    something like that. its ermz. how to put it. its like i want 3 'ghostly' images of the same person in the picture doing something. say ... 1 lady sitting in the middle and a photographer taking photos from 3 different angles or sth ?

anyway thx thx for the above effects. pretty cool
    Another technique which avoids long exposure.

Step 1)Taking photos
    Use a tripod.
    Take multiple shots, one with the lady and the photographer. Two without the lady and the photographer in other poses.

Step 2) Processing photos using photoshop
    Keep the shot with the lady as background.
    Place other other shots on top, erase everything else except the photographer(s), watch the shadows.
    Adjust opacity till you are satisfied with the ghostly effect.
    Merge layers.
    Last edited by ahbian; 4th July 2009 at 03:58 PM.