Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: advice needed =)

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    19

    Default advice needed =)

    hi all! i'm new to dslr and just got a nikon d70s from a friend. i know it's a pretty old model but i've tried it out before getting and find it suitable for me since i'm still a beginner and a poor student too. =p

    i've tried out AF-S DX Zoom- NIKKOR 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED (which i really like) but is currently using F-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR as the other lens belongs to my friend. i was wondering what is a good lens for me to invest in and begin with? can someone help? thanks!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member TheChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the action is
    Posts
    2,304

    Default Re: advice needed =)

    Try the Nikkor 16-85 VR. Value for money.
    S5Pro|S3Pro|D50|16-85VR2|70-200VR|80-400VR|S50f1.4|105f2|135f2|SB900|SB80DX

  3. #3

    Default Re: advice needed =)

    depends on your needs. Don't buy a lens unless you know what it's for and need that functionality.
    Alpha

  4. #4
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: advice needed =)

    All up to you and your budget...

    but the 18-70 is nicely matched to the D70
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  5. #5

    Default Re: advice needed =)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    depends on your needs. Don't buy a lens unless you know what it's for and need that functionality.

    Yeah. Discover what type of shooting u always do and adore.
    PortFolio
    the best camera is the camera that is with you; A200/500/33 (:

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: advice needed =)

    thanks for your advices. basically i like taking scenery, streets and portraits shots. i guess that's what everyone likes too. hehehe.

  7. #7

    Default Re: advice needed =)

    Quote Originally Posted by siimplicity View Post
    hi all! i'm new to dslr and just got a nikon d70s from a friend. i know it's a pretty old model but i've tried it out before getting and find it suitable for me since i'm still a beginner and a poor student too. =p

    i've tried out AF-S DX Zoom- NIKKOR 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED (which i really like) but is currently using F-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR as the other lens belongs to my friend. i was wondering what is a good lens for me to invest in and begin with? can someone help? thanks!!
    The 18-105mm VR is a good all rounder and reasonably cheap 2nd hand.

    for your case, all you need to complement your 18-55 is a 50-200 as well as flash and you are ready to go for just about anything.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hougang Ave. 7
    Posts
    888

    Default Re: advice needed =)

    Do you have any lens now ?
    If you are on a budget both AF-S DX Zoom- NIKKOR 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED & F-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR are good for starter.
    Go where your heart feel.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: advice needed =)

    I used to have that 18 - 70. Its a really very good lens for the price. But i sold that off and got a Tamron 17 - 50 F2.8. You might want to consider that... But it'll probably cost more then your camera.
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

  10. #10

    Default Re: advice needed =)

    Use whatever lens you got now. Save money now while you slowly discover what lens to get.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

  11. #11

    Default Re: advice needed =)

    Quote Originally Posted by sherchoo View Post
    Use whatever lens you got now. Save money now while you slowly discover what lens to get.
    PortFolio
    the best camera is the camera that is with you; A200/500/33 (:

  12. #12

    Default Re: advice needed =)

    Whoa, how come the D70s didn't come with the 18-70? That is a fine lens. I guess the previous owner cheaped out and kept the 18-70 for himself. :P

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: advice needed =)

    I wouldn't consider the 18 - 70 a kit lens
    Its more like a gift from nikon for us to play with haha
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •