View Poll Results: For black and white photos, which medium do you prefer?

47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Film

38 80.85%
  • Digital

9 19.15%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black and White: Film vs Digital

Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

Too subjective.

You can choose so many ways to develope the film and print it on different papers.

Same with digital, there are at least 5 ways to convert it into B&W at the last time I recall. Each have a different feel to it and varies accordingly esp. on the predominant colour tone.

So there will never be a proper answer for such a question.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Clementi/West Coast

For such things, it's a DPDP issue.
    (Different photographers/people, different perspective)

It's very hard, I would say perhaps impossible, to compare the two photos the thread starter posted because they are of different scenes. But regarding B&W photography in general, here are my opinions.

For work, I prefer digital for its convenience. Clients these days expect faster turnaround times & shooting digitally enables us to do that. Most clients also expect to receive deliverables in digital format, which is a major pain if you still shoot assignments on films & have to scan them one by one. We just have to admit it that there weren't many professional full service custom commercial labs (ones that can do all of these at the same place: dip & dunk processings, clip tests, good custom traditional printing for both B&W and color, wide choices of tonings and at least a few choices of processing chemicals + papers, Cibachrome printing, DuraTrans printing, drum scanning, etc.) to begin with in Singapore & its neighboring countries...even during film's golden days. These days? We are lucky if we can find a couple of good full service labs like that in one city.

For personal works, I still prefer to shoot on B&W films (real B&W films please, not those C41 types...hehehe). I know technological advances in DSLR sensors and digital printing in recent years have made digital B&W prints to look very very good, but somehow I still have preference for the film look. I guess you can blame it on my few years of experience working as a custom printer for a commercial photographer back when I was living in U.S....hahaha. By the way, even though I prefer B&W film for my personal work, please note that I'm not saying it is better because it's always arguable. IMHO it does not matter which one is better or worse. Whatever floats your boat. They are just different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12