View Poll Results: For black and white photos, which medium do you prefer?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Film

    38 80.85%
  • Digital

    9 19.15%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Black and White: Film vs Digital

  1. #1
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Black and White: Film vs Digital

    I have always been wondering, for B&W photos, which do you prefer?
    Photos from film or digital B&W, which do you prefer?

    Comparison:
    Film- Taken with Eximus Wide & Slim (same as Vivitar UWS)


    Digital- Taken with E-510

    Last edited by shaoken; 2nd July 2009 at 03:44 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    a little under on the digital.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    92

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    films too grainy for my liking.. :\

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    167

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    B&W film print is done in darkroom by hand and do burning technic. shooting B&W film also increase exposure by half stop to one stop.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    I have always been wondering, for B&W photos, which do you prefer?
    Photos from film or digital B&W, which do you prefer?

    Comparison:
    Film- Taken with Eximus Wide & Slim (same as Vivitar UWS)


    Digital- Taken with E-510

    I'd only got an illusion of only 5 stops for the film- where's the other 2? I think it'll be better if you find a better lab or DIY in darkroom.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  6. #6
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    Sorry, just to clarify.
    This B&W film is Ilford XP2, a C-41 film.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    Film anytime if you know how to process it. More 3D feel to film.

    Digital more convenient but can turn out rather flat.

    At least this is my experience.
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    How to compare two different photos of different subjects taken under different light and conditions and I'm also guessing different post work?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    Quote Originally Posted by tkbonz View Post
    Film anytime if you know how to process it. More 3D feel to film.

    Digital more convenient but can turn out rather flat.

    At least this is my experience.
    Agree fully.
    But most will agree, convenience is rather important, yah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    How to compare two different photos of different subjects taken under different light and conditions and I'm also guessing different post work?
    Looks like different ISO too...
    The digital one so clean... or maybe noise reduced.
    The exposure also quite different... the digital one is more under.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  10. #10
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    West
    Posts
    50

    Wink Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    looks different and different scenes.. very hard to judge..

  11. #11

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    i like both

    it depends on the scene. but the dr of film > dr of digital

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    I think the film is more interesting because it adds windows and makes the columns more cylindrical. Well, it does in this example.

    Film will be better for the dynamic range for a while longer, unless we're talking about using a medium format sensor, which does pretty well.

    It's funny how people complain about certain digital sensors being noisy; yet film is always much busier with grain or pigment than some of the not-so-good sensors on the market. Anything in a current dSLR will beat film for the clean look and a lot of people add the grain later in post processing.

    While I enjoyed experimenting with Ilford B&W films, I'll still take a digital sensor any day.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    Quote Originally Posted by shmuckerz View Post
    films too grainy for my liking.. :\


    erm.......... this is a superlative sweeping statement.

    have you ever tried to process your own negs using different developers/ different concentrations/ different timings/ different agitation rates/ different types of films?!

    if not, please do not post up such sweeping statements as it is completely unfounded.

    :-)

    For good measure, please try developing Trix 400 (but push it to iso 1600) in Diafine at its optimum timings and gentle to almost no agitation.

    shoot your DSLR at iso 1600 and convert it to b&w in photoshop..

    blow up each one and examine with your own eyes and tell me which one has more "Graininess" to it

    rest my case

  14. #14

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    A few years back, I'd say film looks best for B&W.

    Now, it depends on the mastery of the print making process, regardless of film or digital. I've seen crappy B&W prints from film (from MF film no less), as well as jawdropping prints out of a DSLR (just pick up any issue of Lenswork).

  15. #15

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    to make the comparison a bit more meaningful, i have adjusted the levels for the digital pic and resized the film pic so that it is the same size as the digital pic.



    Last edited by zaren; 17th July 2009 at 02:34 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    To compare to totally different scene is making this comparison totally meaningless.

    We also need to know, how was the digital black and white taken. Was the camera set to black and white, or was teh black and white processed in photoshop (preferred). If it's the latter, how was it processed?

    Regarding the film, TS finally gave us the correct film, but did nnot tell us the developing and printing parameters.

    Ideally, the digital process for black and white conversion should mimic the film developing/printing parameters, so that a true comparison can be made.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  17. #17
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    To compare to totally different scene is making this comparison totally meaningless.

    We also need to know, how was the digital black and white taken. Was the camera set to black and white, or was teh black and white processed in photoshop (preferred). If it's the latter, how was it processed?

    Regarding the film, TS finally gave us the correct film, but did nnot tell us the developing and printing parameters.

    Ideally, the digital process for black and white conversion should mimic the film developing/printing parameters, so that a true comparison can be made.

    I'm sorry if I have lapses in the description as I'm "new" to B&W film..
    Film was not my era (too young for photography during film era)..

    For the film, I used a C-41 film..
    For digital, it's a in-body setting.

    Btw, what do you mean by "developing/printing parameters".

    Thanks.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    I don't know, but film grain is always nicer than digital noise

    which means black and white film is nicer than digital conversions.

    of course, if you like super clean images, then you'd like digital more.

    But i feel film grain has a very distinct character to it, which is why i like it more

  19. #19

    Post Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    i like both actually

  20. #20

    Default Re: Black and White: Film vs Digital

    Quote Originally Posted by FLiNcHY View Post
    I don't know, but film grain is always nicer than digital noise

    which means black and white film is nicer than digital conversions.

    of course, if you like super clean images, then you'd like digital more.

    But i feel film grain has a very distinct character to it, which is why i like it more
    Yea I agree.
    IDK but I feel film grain is special.
    It makes digital noise different from film.
    Maybe it is just me.
    Don't care which is better, good photography is good photography!
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •