Thread: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

Got mine at the same time I got my k-7 at S$490

Quote Originally Posted by banana0ne View Post
    Congrats to you.

Actually, my friend was supposed to fly to Singapore for short holiday so to save US$50 shipping order, I sent my order with free shipping directly to him who is living in USA. But unexpectedly next day he informed me at last minute that his doctor advised him to go for foot surgery so he cannot come to Singapore at wrong time. No choice to pay extra shipping order to send my parcel directly to my home..... Disappointed but anyway, i am happy to get my copy....

Quote Originally Posted by woonsin View Post
    Actually, my friend was supposed to fly to Singapore for short holiday so to save US$50 shipping order, I sent my order with free shipping directly to him who is living in USA. But unexpectedly next day he informed me at last minute that his doctor advised him to go for foot surgery so he cannot come to Singapore at wrong time. No choice to pay extra shipping order to send my parcel directly to my home..... Disappointed but anyway, i am happy to get my copy....
    I can understand the pain. I got into a similar situation. Bought from B&H and asked them to deliver to my colleague as he was on a 3wk business trip. The darn B&H verification dept. decided to 'work' on that day, and held up delivery. They did not get back to my emails, and then, one fine day 2wks later, they send me a mail informing me that they have verified my status and have sent out that item. With all the delay, it would not make it to my friend
    Luckily, I had taken my friend's advice to use the mailing address of his US manager and not his hotel address, so I did not lose the item . Now, need to wait another 1 month for another colleague to bring it back.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I can understand the pain. I got into a similar situation. Bought from B&H and asked them to deliver to my colleague as he was on a 3wk business trip. The darn B&H verification dept. decided to 'work' on that day, and held up delivery. They did not get back to my emails, and then, one fine day 2wks later, they send me a mail informing me that they have verified my status and have sent out that item. With all the delay, it would not make it to my friend
    Luckily, I had taken my friend's advice to use the mailing address of his US manager and not his hotel address, so I did not lose the item . Now, need to wait another 1 month for another colleague to bring it back.
    We are in same situation and faced bad experience.... Anyway we learnt something good experience so that we will be careful of choosing one right shop but not easy....

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    MSC selling $490. I just got from them 2 wks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by banana0ne View Post
    Aiyah, both of you, never update me! I think this is one piece of info quite a few people are waiting for.

I'll update the price by MSC and take away the old quotes.

Finally I made a trip to MSC to try the 55-300. Actually the AF speed is normal, neither unusually slow nor fast. What causes it to feel slow is the long focus throw. It is kind of like the DFA100 macro lens, if it can't find focus, it will rotate all the way to the min distance and back. But if the focus distance setting is near the target distance, it will snap into focus reasonably well. I tried AF-C too. It can track a person walking towards me but not anything faster than that.

In that respect, the AF is not far off from the rest of the telephoto lenses I have owned (DA50-200, DA*300, F*300). The DA*300 too have a very long focus throw, about 220, making it feel slow too when it misses focus.

Too bad I did not see a 17-70, or else I would try it. It has a very short focus throw and is known to be fast.

So anyone who is thinking about the 55-300 should not be overly worried about its AF speed, it is neither better or worse that its peers.

BTW it was tested on a K20D.
    K-5IIs, DA16-85, DFA50, DFA100, DA*60-250, 540FGZ II, 160FC, 201FG

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234