Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    1,087

    Default 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    For those who have tried or own the 55-300, just how bad is the AF speed?
    Compared to the old 50-200, is it worst or about the same?
    $499 is a very attractive price, I am thinking of buying one but only if the AF is decent enough to track a walking person (e.g. a model on stage)
    K-5IIs, DA16-85, DFA50, DFA100, DA*60-250, 540FGZ II, 160FC, 201FG

  2. #2
    Senior Member nik34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    AMK Singapore
    Posts
    2,445

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Quote Originally Posted by sbc View Post
    For those who have tried or own the 55-300, just how bad is the AF speed?
    Compared to the old 50-200, is it worst or about the same?
    $499 is a very attractive price, I am thinking of buying one but only if the AF is decent enough to track a walking person (e.g. a model on stage)
    For this Dennis is the right person to give you the answer now..
    PENTAX l OldKMan

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Beijing, Shuangjing
    Posts
    1,213

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Having own the 50-200 before and now using the 55-300, I find the 55-300 is slightly faster. If you taking mostly daylight shots its quite good, indoors it will struggle a bit depending on the lighting. I use the quick shift quite frequent in those situation. But overall, this is a value for money lens, I can say its the sharpest in its class and price range. No regrets in getting this. Check out my Beijing zoo photos here, all taken with the 55-300mm.

    http://art2d2.clubsnap.org/gallery/bjzoo0609. Most shots slighly cropped. I have some hippo action shots in page 2.

    Skypacker also did an earlier test on the AF speed on this lens. You can check with him as well. Just found his thread http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...light=55-300mm
    Last edited by art2d2; 2nd July 2009 at 04:12 PM.
    Pentaxian for life ! My Webby
    K-X, DA70mm F2.4. DA 35mm F2.4, DA 18-135 WR

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Ok so far, that is one good news. If it is faster than the old 50-200, then it is good enough for me. Hope to hear from more 'experts'!

    art2d2, i agree the result looks good, but do you have anything on human? The animals are not doing anything much...
    Last edited by sbc; 2nd July 2009 at 03:59 PM.
    K-5IIs, DA16-85, DFA50, DFA100, DA*60-250, 540FGZ II, 160FC, 201FG

  5. #5
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    The lens is quite similar to the DA 50-200mm but obviously a little bigger, especially when extended to 300mm. Focus really depends on the camera body in use. It does hunt on my K20D, especially if light levels are low or if it is not able to get sufficient contrast to lock focus. In this regard when compared to the DA 50-200mm, I find the DA 50-200mm to focus about the same, but one thing to note is the DA 55-300mm also has a longer focus travel from its minimum focusing distance of 1.4m to infinity. It is a sharp lens from my limited time with it but obviously I'm sure the 200mm/300mm Pentax primes have the edge sharpness wise. But like most DA lenses, it has that snappy contrast look.

    ... focusing is a lot better when tested with the K-7. A lot less hunting and quicker lock-on. Definitely a more respectable performance with the new body.
    Last edited by creampuff; 2nd July 2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: typo

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    I find the DA 50-200mm to focus about the same,
    Still sounding good. Thanks and keep it coming...
    K-5IIs, DA16-85, DFA50, DFA100, DA*60-250, 540FGZ II, 160FC, 201FG

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Beijing, Shuangjing
    Posts
    1,213

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Quote Originally Posted by sbc View Post
    Ok so far, that is one good news. If it is faster than the old 50-200, then it is good enough for me. Hope to hear from more 'experts'!

    art2d2, i agree the result looks good, but do you have anything on human? The animals are not doing anything much..
    Ok, how about these ? A model I took last weekend in Beijing..All photos are just resized, no crop and only Auto White Balance in GIMP. Actually didn't really need to Auto WB as the camera auto wb settings is quite spot on.





    Last edited by art2d2; 2nd July 2009 at 06:07 PM.
    Pentaxian for life ! My Webby
    K-X, DA70mm F2.4. DA 35mm F2.4, DA 18-135 WR

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    uh,,,what were you saying?
    Oh right, about the 55-300...

    Very cute model!
    K-5IIs, DA16-85, DFA50, DFA100, DA*60-250, 540FGZ II, 160FC, 201FG

  9. #9

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    At the current price, the 55-300 is a steal! Get it and use it for shooting in good light (or night long exposures w/tripod) ...it will produce beautiful, colorful photos. Just don't try shooting action with it because it has great difficulty with moving objects.

    The best thing about the lens is it is perfectly usable wide open throughout the zoom range, and that's not something you can say of any long zoom lens, let alone a budget zoom with such a massive and useful 55 to 300 range.

    Don't think twice, just buy it..you'll be happy with the stellar IQ.
    EDIT: Didn't see the part about shooting moving people....well it may not be so good for that w/K20D but may be a different matter on the K-7...I have no experience with this combo yet.
    Last edited by skypacker; 2nd July 2009 at 11:06 PM.
    D7000 + MB-D11, AF-S 18-105 VR, AF-S 70-300 VR, AF-S 50/1.8G, Tamron 90 Macro, Metz 50 AF-1.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Yea, there is no doubt regarding the results from this lens. The contrast is good and it makes the photos looks snappy.

    I wanted it for a some time now. Until I read reports that the AF is very slow.
    I want to use it not for static objects but people walking (not running) around. So the very least it must be able to track them properly.

    I will not be using it for sports, I have the 300 for that.

    Hmm...decisions, decisions, decisions
    K-5IIs, DA16-85, DFA50, DFA100, DA*60-250, 540FGZ II, 160FC, 201FG

  11. #11
    Senior Member darrrrrrrrrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,208

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Quote Originally Posted by sbc View Post
    Yea, there is no doubt regarding the results from this lens. The contrast is good and it makes the photos looks snappy.

    I wanted it for a some time now. Until I read reports that the AF is very slow.
    I want to use it not for static objects but people walking (not running) around. So the very least it must be able to track them properly.

    I will not be using it for sports, I have the 300 for that.

    Hmm...decisions, decisions, decisions
    hmmm tamron 70-300 --> pentax 55-300?

  12. #12

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Quote Originally Posted by art2d2 View Post
    Ok, how about these ? A model I took last weekend in Beijing..All photos are just resized, no crop and only Auto White Balance in GIMP. Actually didn't really need to Auto WB as the camera auto wb settings is quite spot on.


    Hey Arthur, got models to shoot already Seems you are getting along w/ the locals very well

  13. #13

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Quote Originally Posted by sbc View Post
    Yea, there is no doubt regarding the results from this lens. The contrast is good and it makes the photos looks snappy.

    I wanted it for a some time now. Until I read reports that the AF is very slow.
    I want to use it not for static objects but people walking (not running) around. So the very least it must be able to track them properly.

    I will not be using it for sports, I have the 300 for that.

    Hmm...decisions, decisions, decisions
    If you plan to use it under good light, then don't worry. It's a bit hunting under low light on the tele end, and there is a cure for that -- get the K-7

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    East
    Posts
    5,154

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    I have succumb to the fantastic pricing for this lens. Kudos to Emjay. I am not sure about K20D, when I tried with K-m, I was pleasantly surprised with the AF-C.

    Could be the camera. But of course, if you are going to test it like near object, far object, near object, then what can I say ...

  15. #15
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,105

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Quote Originally Posted by hjbyeo View Post
    I have succumb to the fantastic pricing for this lens. Kudos to Emjay. I am not sure about K20D, when I tried with K-m, I was pleasantly surprised with the AF-C.

    Could be the camera. But of course, if you are going to test it like near object, far object, near object, then what can I say ...
    Bernard, you very the poisonous leh . . .
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  16. #16
    Senior Member creampuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dover
    Posts
    5,116

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Wah Arthur... nice model... I want to go to Beijing.

  17. #17
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,105

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Hey guys, if I intent to do indoor shoots and need a tele lens, do I go for the 50-200mm or the 55-300mm or the Sigma/Tamron 70-300mm F2.8? But the cost is scary for F2.8

    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    East
    Posts
    5,154

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    Hey guys, if I intent to do indoor shoots and need a tele lens, do I go for the 50-200mm or the 55-300mm or the Sigma/Tamron 70-300mm F2.8? But the cost is scary for F2.8

    FElix, file that in another thread lar .. this 1 is 50-200 versus 55-300!

    Alright, I think the 50-135mm can do for concerts right? And Emjay or 2nd hand would have work for you. I think SDM in concerts really helpful. loud screw drive ! Better still get K-7... ultimate in quietness... they don't even know you've shot them!

  19. #19
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,105

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Quote Originally Posted by hjbyeo View Post
    FElix, file that in another thread lar .. this 1 is 50-200 versus 55-300!

    Alright, I think the 50-135mm can do for concerts right? And Emjay or 2nd hand would have work for you. I think SDM in concerts really helpful. loud screw drive ! Better still get K-7... ultimate in quietness... they don't even know you've shot them!
    I cheapskate So thinking of 55-300 or 50-200 but the F2.8 cannot swallow leh keke . . .
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West of Singapore
    Posts
    1,087

    Default Re: 55-300 vs 50-200 AF speed

    Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    If you plan to use it under good light, then don't worry. It's a bit hunting under low light on the tele end, and there is a cure for that -- get the K-7
    Economic's theory of scarcity - I want a many things, but have limited budget!
    K-5IIs, DA16-85, DFA50, DFA100, DA*60-250, 540FGZ II, 160FC, 201FG

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •