Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: correct exposure

Default correct exposure

Hi Folk:

need help to get correct exposure, confuse?

do i use the view finder inside the small little square to point at the subject to get the correct

exposure with the 3 metering?

thanks in advance

Default Re: correct exposure

Quote Originally Posted by richardfoo View Post
    Hi Folk:

need help to get correct exposure, confuse?

do i use the view finder inside the small little square to point at the subject to get the correct

exposure with the 3 metering?

thanks in advance
    1. Read your manual
    2. Read your manual
    3. Read your manual
    4. Do a search on google for "how to get correct exposure"
    5. Borrow a good book on the basics of photography from the library.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    this is good
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

Quote Originally Posted by LomoPhotographer View Post
    this is good
    It's included in ALL camera manuals. What are the people doing with the manuals these days?

Read the sticky threads too...

it's all there... NO SPOONFEEDING
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    It's included in ALL camera manuals. What are the people doing with the manuals these days?
    Obviously not reading them, figuring ClubSnappers will be the ones to scan and paste the sections they themselves are too lazy to find in the index.
    Alpha

what about metering manually. i mean i am using a d60, if i use AI lenses, there would be no metering. Do i need to get those grey cards thingy and gadgets to meter correctly? dont think will have time for all that if doing candid right?

Quote Originally Posted by jgjonathangoh View Post
    what about metering manually. i mean i am using a d60, if i use AI lenses, there would be no metering. Do i need to get those grey cards thingy and gadgets to meter correctly? dont think will have time for all that if doing candid right?
    There's no metering? since when? I know you won't get AF, but that the D60's metering is crippled as well would be news to me.
    Alpha

Well if you can get a grey card it will be for the best.. but it is not necessary..

Just take note if the color of the subject you use to meter and adjust..
    http://zen88.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    There's no metering? since when? I know you won't get AF, but that the D60's metering is crippled as well would be news to me.
    AI lenses, bro...

Only the semi-pro models like D200 and above can meter with the AI or AI-S lenses.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

In those cases, you'd have to do trial and error and watch the histograms.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Maybe you could get an AF-* lens then. After reading about the various lens types and the limitations with D60 and since you want to take candid shots it doesn't make sense using such an AI lens. Have a look here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

print this out and memorize it, Photography Basic Daylight Exposure

with practice, you can eyeball exposure without metering. be it indoor or outdoor.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Certain compact camera when set to iA can recongnise condition like twilight and backlight and automatically make the necessary compensation to achieve correct exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    Certain compact camera when set to iA can recongnise condition like twilight and backlight and automatically make the necessary compensation to achieve correct exposure.
    Of course, because most owners of such cameras are not willing to dive into the topic further. They just want to "snap & go", outsourcing the brain work of selecting settings to the camera. Fair enough, most car drivers also don't know where to check oil. But still, relying blindly on the judgments of the camera won't help. Cameras can detect certain conditions and can apply certain average settings that will result in average exposure. They will also automatically apply flash. But they cannot read the mind of person behind viewfinder / liveview display to guess what is the intention. Intention is what defines "correct exposure" and what is trash can stuffs.
    Example: If one wants to take a silhouette shot of a person in backlight then any automatic average exposure settings are likely to be useless and counterproductive. But knowing a bit about metering (mode, area) is enough to get a good shot already.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Maybe you could get an AF-* lens then. After reading about the various lens types and the limitations with D60 and since you want to take candid shots it doesn't make sense using such an AI lens. Have a look here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm
    who says you can't use manual focussed manually metered lenses for candid shots? it really depends on the specific situation. fast moving sports - harder.... street candids or event candids - fairly easy.

for D60 (d5000, d40 and d40x included) the af-s lenses tend to be costly. older, manual lenses are a good way to learn and extend your system at a lower price point.

just learn about 'sunny 16' and practice, practice, practice!

Quote Originally Posted by rijac View Post
    who says you can't use manual focussed manually metered lenses for candid shots? it really depends on the specific situation. fast moving sports - harder.... street candids or event candids - fairly easy.

for D60 (d5000, d40 and d40x included) the af-s lenses tend to be costly. older, manual lenses are a good way to learn and extend your system at a lower price point.

well said.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    print this out and memorize it, Photography Basic Daylight Exposure

with practice, you can eyeball exposure without metering. be it indoor or outdoor.
    Thanks.. going to be difficult to memorize, but thanks alot.. it does provide me with an estimate.
    Quote Originally Posted by rijac View Post

Ya man.. practice I will. technology sure does makes a man lazy..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast