Thread: Khatib Bongsu Nature Wilderness !!!

Cool Khatib Bongsu Nature Wilderness !!!

Hi,

It has been a long time since I last organised a wild Khatib Bongsu Nature Exploration trip years ago that received a huge signed up before the place was taken over by the officials.

Just last weekend while I was there to do a recce, it was a real surprise that after years of absence from explorating the place, it is still a very wild (sort of no man's land) nature haven. The place gives you the nostagic feel as if you are back into the twilight 50s or 60s of Singapore's past where thick forest vegetation are everywhere, where flora and fauna were abundance and striving which I feel the place would be most deserviing only for serious nature lovers and definitely a placed most suitable for bugs lovers or macro photographers. In short, it was simply amazing to come across such a wild place still to be found in modern day as Khatib Bongsu is indeed huge area (around 10 times or larger than AP park). There is not a single human soul found (where you would have seen in most parks/nature places) like uncle poachers, army boys, typical joggers or foreign workers except the melodious calls of the poacher's favourite hunt - Straw-headed Bulbul (listed as world's endangered bird), Magpie Robin, White-rumped Sharma and the sound of Cicada and Crickets.

I am going there this Saturday morning at 8.00 am as part of macro photography trip to explore the rich biodiversity of wildlives as well as bugs/insects. As the place is highly sensitive to public, I can only take in 4 persons at any one time including myself to minimise noise and low group movement in tactical form in order that we can get maximum macro sightings. Anyone who are interested in this coming trip, pls do not pm me but sent email to leect@pacific.net.sg leave behind your full name and mobile number. We will meet at the carpark next to Yishun MRT station. We will all share a taxi to the place. For those who intend to drive there, sorry to say no parking is allowed as its along a big road but its fine for a taxi to drop off their passengers.

Pls see link on the photo of the place I took a shot :

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~leect/naturespot1.html

Pls see link of this group photo organised by Nature Trekker taken 1 final week before the place was officially took over by SAF (army) :

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~leect/naturespot2.html
    Last edited by leect; 2nd July 2009 at 12:33 AM.

Default Re: Khatib Bongsu Nature Wilderness !!!

I am very certain that Khatib Bongsu is an SAF training area; my unit has gone on ICT training there before. Since you're going on a weekend you'll most likely not see anyone, but just keep in mind where you are.

Smile Re: Khatib Bongsu Nature Wilderness !!!

YSLee - Thanks for your caution. I was fully aware of its history in khatib as I was interviewed by the 4 media papers about my views on Khatib & its flora/fauna before army take over as I was very involved in the conservation of Singapore nature. During recent recce, I discovered a nice little corridor which is very close to public dormain area and its a safe haven for any budding photographers. In this trip, I would prefer serious macro/wildlife photograhers to come and not so for those who intend to come and view the area as its not easy to find.

By the way, vacancy for this Saturday is closed since this morning due to good response. Those who are interested to join, can leave your name and mobile and I will put you on waiting for futre trips or if anyone drop out last min this Saturday, I will call you to take over the slot.
    Last edited by leect; 1st July 2009 at 05:28 PM.

so this path you are going on, is outside of MINDEF sign boards?

hwchoy - yes and no. Its on the fringes or boundary which I said previously a "safe haven" as what I have discovered knowing Khatib whole area on my finger tip for over 10 years. Just look at the photo I posted - how virgin and beautiful it is to find in Singapore for a forested area.
    Last edited by leect; 1st July 2009 at 05:37 PM.

I won't go there on foot to shoot as the place is quite huge. Unless you are going to a specific spot to shoot, then it's ok.

I was there a few weeks ago, walking into the forested areas for 4 hours plus under the hot sun.

The whole place is very disserted. If something happened to you, nobody will know. Therefore, it is not advisable to go alone.

I miss the fishing pond.

well enjoy your outing and shooting there. the last time I was there was back in 2006, I think USM also went? here's some pix from that outing to share.

Thanks to USM - allow me to say that if you know the place inside out like myself been there for over 10 years and have walk every corners of Khatib, I would know where to find the right stuff be it insects, birds, fishes or higher form vertebrates (eg. estuarine crocodile, small-clawed otter - rare in S'pore, reticulated python, highly venomous banded krait, etc). Its really a huge place like no man's land. One comment from my prevous trip participants sum up the place very well - I quote "Is this in Singapore or it is part of Malaysia as its so hard to find such wild place nowadays in Singapore" unquote.

Hwchoy - Thanks for your excellent shots of the flora of Khatib Bongsu. Very well taken indeed. As the saying goes, a picture paints a thousand words and nothing more can describe better than a picture of the place.
    Last edited by leect; 2nd July 2009 at 03:47 PM.

So Uncle Choy when are you going again? Remember to bring me along!

Hi Ben,

I really miss Khatib Bongsu. Those were the days where I can find big mudskippers, etc.

With the pace of urbanization that Singapore is undertaking, there won't be much nature left for our future generations. When I mean nature, it's really nature, not man made park found in our neighbourhoods.

I would love to join you for the next trip. I am sure that I can learn a lot from you.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    So Uncle Choy when are you going again? Remember to bring me along!

I lao liao cannot walk so far, you go with Ben Lee

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    I lao liao cannot walk so far, you go with Ben Lee
    Choy, better ride a bicycle there. Walking is too siong for both of us. We are all old folks liao.

sorry to disrupt this thread, but I wanna borrow your kinky tool

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    sorry to disrupt this thread, but I wanna borrow your kinky tool
    Sorry Ben for the OT.

Choy, you still remember the kinky tool huh? It has been years liao.

USM - I believe when you said you missed seeing the giant mudskippers, you are referring to the specie belonging to Periophthalmodon schlosseri or common name called Giant Mudskipper. Yes there a few specie of mudskippers there including the giant specie. What I find most interesting is the sight of Dog-faced Water Snake which is easier to find there than in S. Buloh or any other mangrove places as I have special craving for snake. My next trip would be announced soon and do look out.
    Last edited by leect; 2nd July 2009 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leect View Post
    USM - I believe when you said you missed seeing the giant mudskippers, you are referring to the specie belonging to Periophthalmodon schlosseri or common named, Giant Mudskipper. Yes there a few species there including the giant specie. What I find most interesting is the sight of Dog-faced Water Snake which is easier to find there than in Buloh or any other mangrove places. My next trip would be announced soon and do look out.
    I think so. It has been quite a while, so can't remember exactly.

I will look out for your next trip.

USM,

the place I go will be at the fringes (outside the out of bound area) but its still able to enjoy the wilderness of the place inside Khatib. My next interesting wilderness trip or out of nowhere to be found in Singapore nature paradise location would be "Simpang Wilderness" to be announced. One of my past participant who went to my guided trip at Simpang discovered a rare butterfly specie nowhere to be found in Singapre except Simpang a few years ago. Simpang is almost the same in land mass size as Khatib Wilderness.
    Last edited by leect; 2nd July 2009 at 04:13 PM.