Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prime lens: which one to get!

Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

Quote Originally Posted by shootjutsu View Post
    Oh cool! COngrats on your buying. 50mm f/1.8 right? Hehe. What do you mean by the bolded line?
    Haha yea zoom lens is what I have thought of before with prime, before I am quite sure that I want a prime. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..
    Haha nono, i've had the 50mm F1.8 for quite a while. It auto focus just fine on my S5. I just bought a 2nd hand Voiglander Nokton 58mm F1.4 SL2 ais. The 50mm has a really small focus ring and its very loose so it turns really easily. Think of it as the 50mm is like a steering wheel with power steering. So its really very fast and easy to turn. The Voiglander is a MF lens, the focus ring is bigger compared to the 50mm, its tight so you can make minor adjustments better. Something like a car without power steering.
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    it depends on what you define as street photography.

for me, i would not use the same range for street/portrait. for street i prefer using 28mm lens (on crop frame), that would translate to ~40mm in 35mm film terms, it is a personal preference.

for portraits, the cheapest you can get will be 50mm, but i am not sure if you have af on that.

why not upgrade to something which is compatible with all lenses, that might solve the problem somewhat. this is precisely why i discourage most people from buying d40/d40x/d60, they will meet this problem sooner or later.
    Oh I see. Yea, I need to upgrade but am not sure whether now or not. :/

Quote Originally Posted by smile_gerard View Post
    Haha nono, i've had the 50mm F1.8 for quite a while. It auto focus just fine on my S5. I just bought a 2nd hand Voiglander Nokton 58mm F1.4 SL2 ais. The 50mm has a really small focus ring and its very loose so it turns really easily. Think of it as the 50mm is like a steering wheel with power steering. So its really very fast and easy to turn. The Voiglander is a MF lens, the focus ring is bigger compared to the 50mm, its tight so you can make minor adjustments better. Something like a car without power steering.
    The manual focus ring is small? Uh huh I see. I thought you bought just while ago. Hehe.

The manual focus ring is small? Uh huh I see. I thought you bought just while ago. Hehe.
    I think he means that the MF ring is well dampened compared to the AF 50mm which tends to be abit too loose for accurate MF IMHO.The VC 58mm is a real gem btw.

I hope you don't mind i post a few samples for you to have a look.
    I am by no means an expert or am i good with manual focus lens. This is my virgin MF lens lol.
    The shots were just taken for testing purposes. So you have a rough idea what can still be done shooting in manual

Iso 100 F3.5 with flash

Iso 100 F3.5

Iso 100 F1.8

Iso 1600 F1.4
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Have you consider the Sigma 50mm f1.4?
    Please Don't Report This Post To A Moderator

or Sigma 30mm F1.4 ?

My goodness.

I think you need to clear your mind off what lens to get and instead focus on what kind of photography you want to do, and how you want to get about doing it. There's been plenty of good advice here, but the problem is that you're undecided on what you want to do. I really do suggest sticking with the kit lens for a while and try and experiment as much as possible. Once you have a better idea of what you want the purchasing decision will be much easier too.

Quote Originally Posted by batavia View Post
    or Sigma 30mm F1.4 ?
    Thats a great lens... I was aiming for that one. But this voiglander appeared first haha

Quote Originally Posted by smile_gerard View Post
    I hope you don't mind i post a few samples for you to have a look.
    I am by no means an expert or am i good with manual focus lens. This is my virgin MF lens lol.
    The shots were just taken for testing purposes. So you have a rough idea what can still be done shooting in manual
    That's so nice of you to share. I don't mind! Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao_shin View Post
    Have you consider the Sigma 50mm f1.4?
    Quote Originally Posted by batavia View Post
    or Sigma 30mm F1.4 ?
    Uh huh, sadly nope, I don't know about 3rd hand ones.
    Is it good? *i think i'm asking stupid question XD*

Quote Originally Posted by YSLee View Post
    My goodness.

I think you need to clear your mind off what lens to get and instead focus on what kind of photography you want to do, and how you want to get about doing it. There's been plenty of good advice here, but the problem is that you're undecided on what you want to do. I really do suggest sticking with the kit lens for a while and try and experiment as much as possible. Once you have a better idea of what you want the purchasing decision will be much easier too.
    Hmm, yeah. Not sure, but I just got the kinda idea that I do street photography. Heh, but then people say it depends on how I define street photography.

Hmm, yeah. Not sure, but I just got the kinda idea that I do street photography. Heh, but then people say it depends on how I define street photography.
    Street photography does not dictate that you have to use a prime lens. You can use your kit lens just fine too.

if you are talking about street photogrpahy street photography, i.e. matt stuart, HCB, then something not so tight would be better, anywhere from 30-50mm in 35mm film terms for example.

some people call street portraits street photography, i would not do so, but these you can do with longer lenses.

but there is no hard and fast rule as to what lens you can use, if you want to, you can also use 10mm (before crop).. as long as the end result is nice, and you know what you are doing, you can do anything you want.

Uh huh, sadly nope, I don't know about 3rd hand ones.
    Is it good? *i think i'm asking stupid question XD*
    I think you meant "3rd party lenses" not 3rd hand ones.
    Well the lens that i used is 3rd party. I actually only have one Nikon lens.
    Everything else is 3rd party.

He have gotten a 50mm F/1.4 AF-D.
    Congrats in his buy and good luck to him!
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

Find a good copy of the sigma 30/1.4. Great lens.
    You'll only live once. Just once.
    Portfolio | Tangshooters

Quote Originally Posted by thotshouse View Post
    Your questions seem to be around AF or MF. Why don't you decide between 35mm or 50mm or 85mm first?
    I agree with thotshouse. It's better to decide on the focal length first before the specs of the lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    I agree with thotshouse. It's better to decide on the focal length first before the specs of the lenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by nakashimamika View Post
    Find a good copy of the sigma 30/1.4. Great lens.
    This is really a good thread.
    I bet TS will appreciate everybody who have advised him alot alot alot lot lot.
    Clean. Simple. Makes out a good composition.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123