Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58

Thread: Prime lens: which one to get!

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    I still feel you will be very limited by that body unless you upgrade to one that can auto focus on afd lenses. Or you can practice your manual focus
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

  2. #22

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Quote Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
    nothing wrong, my point is , since you are asking which prime lens to get,
    meaning you are unsure what focal length to get.

    - you want to get a prime and train yourself to working at that focal length
    or
    - u want to get a prime with a focal length that u like to shot with
    or
    still unsure


    other then the bigger apature , modern zoom lens' (minus hyper zooms) quality is pretty good already ...
    ooooh i bet it would be the highlighted one. Aha yea.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Quote Originally Posted by xylestesins View Post
    Good choice. Be decisive and go with primes to maximize your shooting technique and image quality.

    Versatility is one thing to say for zooms,
    but for street shooting, i would really rather be more versatile on my feet and guts. I like to get up close and personal with my rangefinder than honk a 300mm lens on my camera and snipe. In fact, while i was having fun doing fisheye street shooting, i had to get within .5m of my subjects to get a decent 3/4 body shot.

    For the nikon line, i would suggest the 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 to start things off with. Both are very good focal lengths with good speed at friendly prices. I normally shoot Pentax but a friend asked me to help do some research on good basic lenses for him to start Nikon with.
    Yesyes the first bold part! -grins-
    Yeaa I agree. Partly I can say is I don't want to carry a heavy or what, tele, walk about and snipe.
    But would 35mm a bit too close up? I heard my friend who told me 35mm may need to get close, unless I really have the thick skin to go hahahaha.
    Thanks alot man, for sharing what you have researched for your friend.
    Btw, you mean you need to get within 500m from your subject to get a 3/4 body shot? T.T

  4. #24

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Quote Originally Posted by smile_gerard View Post
    I still feel you will be very limited by that body unless you upgrade to one that can auto focus on afd lenses. Or you can practice your manual focus
    Yesssssss that's why, initially I thought it is my lens but after all these I think I really should have gotten an old model but higher end dslr. T.T

  5. #25

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    if AF is the concern you should get DSLR bodies that can AF the non AF-S lenses. I think if you were to use 35mm for street, some people could get quite uncomfy with that.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Quote Originally Posted by shootjutsu View Post
    Yesyes the first bold part! -grins-
    Yeaa I agree. Partly I can say is I don't want to carry a heavy or what, tele, walk about and snipe.
    But would 35mm a bit too close up? I heard my friend who told me 35mm may need to get close, unless I really have the thick skin to go hahahaha.
    Thanks alot man, for sharing what you have researched for your friend.
    Btw, you mean you need to get within 500m from your subject to get a 3/4 body shot? T.T
    What i mean is, sometimes we get adventurous and use ultra wide angle lenses to get street shots. For the case of a fisheye, you need to get within 50cm of your subject to let them fill a decent part of the frame It's very very wide, even on APS-C sensor.

    35mm is a good length. Definitely not too close. It's about 50mm on a normal film camera. However, most people doing street journalism may opt for a 20mm or 25mm on a crop-frame digital body as it is the most favourited length of 28-35mm on a normal film camera that old school journalists always love to use on the street.

    However, as you go lower in focal length, you tend to "lose speed" as well, because the lenses produced won't go below f2 for a good price. If you enjoy shooting at night, there is almost always never enough speed.

    Street photography is normally preferred with lower focal lengths, as you capture more of the scene in the background. This is important to show the reaction between your subject and it's environment. But this is my personal preference, maybe you would like otherwise.
    When you snipe with a long lens, viewers can tell the difference due to the background compression. It is good for subject isolation, if that's what you have in mind Different tools for different shots!
    Last edited by xylestesins; 1st July 2009 at 11:53 AM.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Quote Originally Posted by dark72 View Post
    if AF is the concern you should get DSLR bodies that can AF the non AF-S lenses. I think if you were to use 35mm for street, some people could get quite uncomfy with that.
    Haha yea, in the future I will confirm plus garantee plus chop chop upgrade my body! T.T
    And that is what my friend told me, 35mm is quite close *pouts*
    ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Last edited by shootjutsu; 1st July 2009 at 12:05 PM.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Quote Originally Posted by shootjutsu View Post
    Haha yea, in the future I will confirm plus garantee plus chop chop upgrade my body! T.T
    And that is what my friend told me, 35mm is quite close *pouts*
    ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    35mm lens on your digital body is roughly equivalent to a 50mm on a film camera, so yes, it is a little bit close for street photography. Cos from experience, strangers can get a bit guarded if you start invading their personal space. For me, 35mm lens or 50mm lens for digital (50 & 75mm equivalent on film) is good for portraits but not so great for street.

    For street I am currently using a 28mm/f2 (around 40mm for film). It allows me to stand slightly further away but still have a lens that can handle some night shots cos of the f2 aperture. Its a decent compromise. I wouldn't mind a 24 or 21 sometimes but you'll have to sacrifice the ability to do handheld night shots cos 24 & 21 lens tend to have much higher f-stops.

    But thats just me. My recommendation would be to take your kits lens and go out and shoot, 1 day for each focal length you are considering and then decide which focal length you like best/suits your style of shooting best, just as the ppl on flickr recommended.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    You can try fixing your kit lens at 50 mm and go out one day to do street shots, then you'll know whether that focal length is suitable for your liking.

    But according to what I've read from fellow members about their experience in doing Street Photography in sg, I think longer lens will provide more discreet shooting distant from your human subject and thus 'safer' for you

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Well what you can do to bluff yourself is to get a MF focus lens that won't AF even on an AF body haha. Thats what i'm actually getting later. Not sure if i'll be able to get used to it. But gota try
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    You can try fixing your kit lens at 50 mm and go out one day to do street shots, then you'll know whether that focal length is suitable for your liking.
    this is a very good suggestion... you may find a tape to stick your kit lens at 35mm and 50mm and go out for a full day shooting...

    i personally find that 50mm too tight... because i normally walk and look around... by the time i found a nice subject i'm already too close... gotta back off a bit then only can shoot...

  12. #32

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    this is a very good suggestion... you may find a tape to stick your kit lens at 35mm and 50mm and go out for a full day shooting...

    i personally find that 50mm too tight... because i normally walk and look around... by the time i found a nice subject i'm already too close... gotta back off a bit then only can shoot...
    Personally, I find 35mm too wide for people (cos I prefer close-up shot to focus on the expression) and too tight for buildings.

    To TS:
    As you can see, different people have different styles and preference. Take the suggestion of most people here and go shooting one day with your kit lens fixed @ 35mm or 50mm or even 80mm. Then you will get your answer on which is your preference. Once that's decided, then you choose the lens. Get AF ones if possible as it's quite challenging for a newbie to do MF for candid shots. Don't kill your confidence too early. Enjoy photography first and then improve it later.
    Nikon.D90 | Canon.S90 | Project 365

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Actual even if you choose a lens that you need to MF, the auto focus indicator will light up in your viewfinder. I just got my MF lens yesterday. Its actually not that hard to use. Just focus until it lights up and your good to go. Only thing is lenses such as the 50mm F1.8 have a pretty small focus ring. And their not tight so they might not be that easy to focus compared to MF lenses. But i do admit it will take some time to get used to. Do what "thotshouse" suggested, shoot with your kit lens at a fixed range first. Do that for at least a week, then you'll have a better idea of what is it that you like. Perhaps what you need isn't a prime, its a F2.8 zoom. Something like the Tamron 28 - 75, tokina 28 - 70. These lenses are pretty affordable 2nd hand and they can shoot at F2.8 even at the 75mm range. The tamron is said to be better, but i like the built of the tokina.
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

  14. #34

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Quote Originally Posted by rageon09 View Post
    35mm lens on your digital body is roughly equivalent to a 50mm on a film camera, so yes, it is a little bit close for street photography. Cos from experience, strangers can get a bit guarded if you start invading their personal space. For me, 35mm lens or 50mm lens for digital (50 & 75mm equivalent on film) is good for portraits but not so great for street.

    For street I am currently using a 28mm/f2 (around 40mm for film). It allows me to stand slightly further away but still have a lens that can handle some night shots cos of the f2 aperture. Its a decent compromise. I wouldn't mind a 24 or 21 sometimes but you'll have to sacrifice the ability to do handheld night shots cos 24 & 21 lens tend to have much higher f-stops.

    But thats just me. My recommendation would be to take your kits lens and go out and shoot, 1 day for each focal length you are considering and then decide which focal length you like best/suits your style of shooting best, just as the ppl on flickr recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    this is a very good suggestion... you may find a tape to stick your kit lens at 35mm and 50mm and go out for a full day shooting...

    i personally find that 50mm too tight... because i normally walk and look around... by the time i found a nice subject i'm already too close... gotta back off a bit then only can shoot...
    Yup yup! Before you said that, I had just done that yesterday afternoon.
    Thanks for the precious sharing and advise! Btw, ytd I just did, 50mm. Today shall do 35mm, and compare which one I am more comfortable.
    But then well, again, I guess I will take some time, no fear, no rush, play with my kit lens and decide. Don't you agree?

    And btw, when 50mm I was autofocusing! Gosh I can't imagine is I buy a 50mm one and need to manual focus... Darn it.
    Last edited by shootjutsu; 2nd July 2009 at 10:42 AM.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Quote Originally Posted by smile_gerard View Post
    Well what you can do to bluff yourself is to get a MF focus lens that won't AF even on an AF body haha. Thats what i'm actually getting later. Not sure if i'll be able to get used to it. But gota try
    Yeaaaaaa worse case if I buy a AFD one need to manual focus, gotta try?
    But seriously the subject won't wait for me thoooooo.
    Oh NOOOOOoooo~~

  16. #36

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Quote Originally Posted by thotshouse View Post
    Personally, I find 35mm too wide for people (cos I prefer close-up shot to focus on the expression) and too tight for buildings.

    To TS:
    As you can see, different people have different styles and preference. Take the suggestion of most people here and go shooting one day with your kit lens fixed @ 35mm or 50mm or even 80mm. Then you will get your answer on which is your preference. Once that's decided, then you choose the lens. Get AF ones if possible as it's quite challenging for a newbie to do MF for candid shots. Don't kill your confidence too early. Enjoy photography first and then improve it later.
    Hahaha! You said the same thing like alllllll of my friends.
    They said I have done researches and comparisions too much till I'm too confused what to get, they doesn't want to give me advise anymore! :s
    Oh well, thanks for you advise it really gave me a slap in my face. *wakeup!*

    Cheerios

  17. #37

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Quote Originally Posted by smile_gerard View Post
    Actual even if you choose a lens that you need to MF, the auto focus indicator will light up in your viewfinder. I just got my MF lens yesterday. Its actually not that hard to use. Just focus until it lights up and your good to go. Only thing is lenses such as the 50mm F1.8 have a pretty small focus ring. And their not tight so they might not be that easy to focus compared to MF lenses. But i do admit it will take some time to get used to. Do what "thotshouse" suggested, shoot with your kit lens at a fixed range first. Do that for at least a week, then you'll have a better idea of what is it that you like. Perhaps what you need isn't a prime, its a F2.8 zoom. Something like the Tamron 28 - 75, tokina 28 - 70. These lenses are pretty affordable 2nd hand and they can shoot at F2.8 even at the 75mm range. The tamron is said to be better, but i like the built of the tokina.
    Oh cool! COngrats on your buying. 50mm f/1.8 right? Hehe. What do you mean by the bolded line?
    Haha yea zoom lens is what I have thought of before with prime, before I am quite sure that I want a prime. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Quote Originally Posted by shootjutsu View Post
    ...
    But would 35mm a bit too close up? I heard my friend who told me 35mm may need to get close, unless I really have the thick skin to go hahahaha.
    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by HeiPiGu View Post
    ...
    But according to what I've read from fellow members about their experience in doing Street Photography in sg, I think longer lens will provide more discreet shooting distant from your human subject and thus 'safer' for you...
    Actually, most street photographers use short focal length lenses. I personally use a 35mm almost all the time when I was on 1.3x crop. 35mm brings you closer to the subject most of the time. Street photography is more than just shooting subjects on the street. It's interaction.




    This one is unique 'cause it's shot from a bus window.






  19. #39

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Hey thanks for sharing your photos, looks cool!
    Hmm yea, I'm afraid people will say I'm really 偷拍 if I shoot far away XD
    Last edited by shootjutsu; 2nd July 2009 at 01:23 PM.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Prime lens: which one to get!

    Quote Originally Posted by shootjutsu View Post

    The most important is that, I want to further my street photography and some portrait shots.
    If I get the AFS lens I must learn how to manual focus! Okay, MF is nothing yea? Some say.
    But how is the subject that I'm gonna shoot be waiting for me to get the focus right?
    I don't have the time!
    Should say, the subject won't be waiting for my manual focus ring!
    it depends on what you define as street photography.

    for me, i would not use the same range for street/portrait. for street i prefer using 28mm lens (on crop frame), that would translate to ~40mm in 35mm film terms, it is a personal preference.

    for portraits, the cheapest you can get will be 50mm, but i am not sure if you have af on that.

    why not upgrade to something which is compatible with all lenses, that might solve the problem somewhat. this is precisely why i discourage most people from buying d40/d40x/d60, they will meet this problem sooner or later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •