Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hai

Default Re: hai

Quote Originally Posted by kroasan View Post
    dudeeeee. i have no idea what you have just said haha. the motor in the lens AF very slow?
    care to break it down for me? ;]

oh and anyone know the odds of in-built AF motors failing? if it is constant, then maybe the AFS lens isnt a bad idea.
    haha yea. slow. like i'm using d40x kit lens right now, the focusing is always so slow. and using d40x makes it i can only use AF-D lens, which means autofocus is available la.
    if i put on a AF-S lens on my d40x, i need to manually focus lor. that's so bad man. *pouts*

Quote Originally Posted by shootjutsu View Post
    opps, i mean zoom lens, for sony. hehe pai seh
    The Kit lens is a zoom lens. There are dozens of zoom lenses for the Sony system. So which one are you talking about?

The 70-300G with it's highly-awarded image quality? The 70-400 G which is even better? The 70-200 SSM G with it's silky smooth bokeh? The monster 24-70 carl zeiss and 16-35 carl zeiss lenses?

If you're talking about the el cheapo 75-300, that's one lens I'll agree with you on as being crappy. But the lenses from the other manufacturers in the same price range are just as bad. As for the 18-70 zoom lens, as far as kit lenses go, it's one of the better ones.
    Alpha

oh, another factor is that i shoot in low light. will the d40 suffice? or is the d70 better in comparision?
    cheers

Hi kroasan,

welcome to CS....

as for low light, you may want to consider the faster primes. The AF-S 50mm f1.4 or AF-S 35mm f1.8 are the few choices for autofocus capable primes. The 2 new macro lenses are also AF-S lenses.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Actually you don't really have much option for 500 plus. My take would be an old D70 with its 18 - 70 F3.5 - 4.5 kit lens. The D70s would be a better choice. I pick the d70 is because i personally own one. And it never failed me. That kit lens is a great range with pretty good images. But i do admit that it is really out dated now. But if your on a tight budget and just intend of learning then it should be good enough. But some things you might want to be concern in getting a 2nd hand camera that old would be the shutter count, condition of the body, condition of the battery. With that said, all the best
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Hi kroasan,

welcome to CS....

as for low light, you may want to consider the faster primes. The AF-S 50mm f1.4 or AF-S 35mm f1.8 are the few choices for autofocus capable primes. The 2 new macro lenses are also AF-S lenses.
    thanks for the first welcome! i wondered why is everyone so hostile in here haha

alright. will readup on those lenses. thanks.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by smile_gerard View Post
    Actually you don't really have much option for 500 plus. My take would be an old D70 with its 18 - 70 F3.5 - 4.5 kit lens. The D70s would be a better choice. I pick the d70 is because i personally own one. And it never failed me. That kit lens is a great range with pretty good images. But i do admit that it is really out dated now. But if your on a tight budget and just intend of learning then it should be good enough. But some things you might want to be concern in getting a 2nd hand camera that old would be the shutter count, condition of the body, condition of the battery. With that said, all the best
    tankew for the suggestion bro! hope to be shooting with people like you in the near future!
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by kroasan View Post
    tankew for the suggestion bro! hope to be shooting with people like you in the near future!
    No problem
    Why not save up a little more first. If its no hurry.
    Every once in a while just take a look in the bns. And if you see something good, then take it. I upgraded from the D70 because i felt it was a little back dated, lcd was too small to begin with, and it was time to retire after all its been through. It was a great cam for its time. Its now converted to IR but just left there in the dry cabinet. Try a d80
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Actually you don't really have much option for 500 plus.
    2nd hand A200 plus kit lens goes for around 500. Better option than a D70 imho.
    Alpha

I'll admit i'm more bias towards nikon. And others will be to theirs. So this is something you gota decide on your own.
    But do take future upgrades into consideration. Mainly Flash and future lenses. First hand and 2nd hand.
    Actually i'd love to play around with a Sigma Dp2 :P

yeayea i agree and encourage TS to get a D70.
    Whatever you decide, buy, shoot and learn with it!
    happy shopping and cheerios

Do consider 2nd hand camera too
    Prices of former flagships Nikon D2x/xs/hs are very attractive as 2nd hand

Their built & focusing are definitely better than those new entry models D40/60
    Only the new D700 or D3/x can beat these former flagship models
    But their price also very 'attractive'

They are very attractive... But he has sadly a 500 plus minus budget. If not a D200 would be really nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by shootjutsu View Post
    haha yea. slow. like i'm using d40x kit lens right now, the focusing is always so slow. and using d40x makes it i can only use AF-D lens, which means autofocus is available la.
    if i put on a AF-S lens on my d40x, i need to manually focus lor. that's so bad man. *pouts*
    bro i think you're mistaken here, or unless i've misread your post in my drowsy medicated state (on M.C. today)
    D40X can only auto-focus with AF-S lenses, so how come you need to manually focus when you mount an AF-S lens?
    Exploring! :)

He probably got mixed up...

hmmm yeah. I think so too.

As an aside, I notice far too many posts with "i suggest you get the _________(brand) _________ (model) because it's better/cheaper/faster/sharper"
    and then you see that person owns the same brand...
    I hope we aren't spreading biased opinions here.
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 2nd July 2009 at 07:24 PM.

He is on a really tight budget... So there isn't really many options.

agree... DSLR ownership sounds really affordable at the beginning, but then it's a huge black hole....

YES i can fully agree on that. its a bottomless pit of throwing money into.
    cheers

They are very attractive... But he has sadly a 500 plus minus budget. If not a D200 would be really nice to have.
    yes. come to think of it, 500 plus is very small budget. but i feel that if i were to pay 400 plus for a 4 year old D70 body, isnt it overkill? what if the shutter decided to call it quits? jialat.
    its either the d70 or d40 now.
    d40 is because its weightless, and its within my budget with a lens but if i were to get new lens it would cost a bomb.
    d70 i get more control over the camera but sadly ill have to spend extra hundreds on lens plus the fact that the camera will give way anytime
    cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast