Thread: CCD vs CMOS

Default CCD vs CMOS

Hi there, can someone out there explain in plain layman terms what are the differences, pro and cons, thank you.

Default Re: CCD vs CMOS

Explained to death already. Do a search for this in google.
    Alpha

Maybe if you said "super ccd" it would have made a better topic lol.... Which has also been explained
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyeo View Post
    Hi there, can someone out there explain in plain layman terms what are the differences, pro and cons, thank you.
    it does not really matter. serious.
    cameras are not made of tofu

Actually i prefer CCD. CMOS simply is cheaper to make and consumes less power for the manufacturers.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

I was once told that Cmos is sharper and faster. Compared to CCD. That newer camera's like the D90 uses Cmos. But camera's like the S5 is using CCD. But that doesn't mean that Cmos is better then CCD. They both have their good and bad i guess
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

i prefer the noise from CCD. CMOS noise looks "patchy" somehow.
    other than that, i can't feel any other diff.
    cameras are not made of tofu

CCD use to be more superior in earlier day, but due to high production cost...it lacks behind in research and development.....now it seems like CMOS is more superior in comercial application....like digital camera and mobile devices....but I still believe CCD is widely use in precision equipments

I think I failed to mention that it will be wise to look at the date at which the article is published. A lot of things may have changed since then.