Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What accessories need to buy for DSLR camera?

Default Re: What accessories need to buy for DSLR camera?

You'll need an extra CF, a dry cabinet and a UV filter. The rest will solely depend on what you shoot! Don't gear up and realise you dont need some things then sell it here at a loss, buy what you NEED then you may never need to sell things here at a loss!

Quote Originally Posted by shootjutsu View Post
    huh serious ah.
    but i have been playing it for like 1 month and a week, i didn get any dry cabinet.
    and i shoot at least 5 times, as in days, per week?
    huh serious ahhh need to get a dry box..
    You better get one. Esp with the wetter season getting to us now...

Dun wait till it's too late.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by emilyd View Post
    Is it really that necessary to get a dry cabinet/dry box?
    Technically no.
    Nothing a box and silica gel/thirsty hippos cant fix.
    Cost next to nothing and last you a loong time.

I know of people who swears by this setup and never encountered probs. Most of us starts off with a camera and a kit lens. We are not even sure if we would be using the camera a year down the road... =)

Regards
    Last edited by Legoz; 29th June 2009 at 07:41 PM.
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

Quote Originally Posted by shootjutsu View Post
    huh serious ah.
    but i have been playing it for like 1 month and a week, i didn get any dry cabinet.
    and i shoot at least 5 times, as in days, per week?
    huh serious ahhh need to get a dry box..
    its good to have a dry cabinet. If not a dry box will do.
    Sometimes moisture and fungus are hard to avoid.

A camera already cos at least $1000, just spend ard $90 or so for a dry cabinet.

If its too budget, then dry box will do.

Never under estitmate moisture and fungus.

Seen how it happen in 3 days.

But lucky not my lens
    Nikon D90|N35mm f1.8G
    N12-24 f4|T90mm f2.8|T180mm f3.5

Found this on the net.

No hard and fast rule on the need for a dry box etc.. The important thing is to find a method that suits you and your style. This is similar to photography.

Else, its monkey see, monkey do..

Regards
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

With the dry cabinet you can at least have better control over the humidity in it. A box and the thirsty hippo might make it too dry inside. Well its your choice, its like buying a brand new $1000 bike and you just lock it by the mrt station under the sun and rain to slowly rust to its end.
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    You better get one. Esp with the wetter season getting to us now...

Dun wait till it's too late.
    arghhhhh roar okay. *pouts* thanks for this thread tho
    ahh but i seriously budget leh can i get a dry box instead? *poutsagain*
    plus my house not very big if i get a cabinet idk where to put..
    Last edited by shootjutsu; 30th June 2009 at 12:28 AM.

You can use a tupper wear for the mean time. I started off with that. Then to a dry box and finally a dry cabinet.
    The silica Gel can be bought from camera shops for like $5? All the best
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Sillica gel does not allow you to control the humidity. And it's carcinogenic.

Secondly, you'd have to "recharge" them frequently (esp. with local humidity) if you want to live with this kind of hassle, go ahead.

Getting a dry cabinet gives you ease of mind as you only have to set it correctly once and forget about it. The low power consumption of approx 5W is also a great thing.

The reason why I'd say it's the best to get a dry cabinet is due to the fact that a lot of users later get fed-up with the dry boxes and sillica gel and waste money again... so you want to pay once or twice??

Up to you....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

To be really honest, I think a lot of brothers here are a little over-paranoid over the dry cabinet issue. Maybe partly because they have a large collection of precious lens that they don't use frequently. Personally I think that even in our climate, if you are just starting out and have relatively few equipment, you don't need a dry cabinet. The important thing is to use and explore your camera and lenes everyday. If you are worried, you can just get a thirsty hippo and use a tupperware. Don't have to worry if it is too dry inside if you are taking out your camera and lenes almost everyday.

The cheapest dry cabinet that I have come across is the digi-cabi 30l one @$105 with gst from parisilk holland V. However, to get a real auto controlled humidity cabinet will cost a lot more than the $105. The digi-cabi one will flutuate according from day to day and even different time of the day. My digi-cabi one will flutuate around 41%-46% depending on day and time of the day. Anyway, the hygrometer might not even be accurate in the first place.

A dry cabinet is worth it in the long run, but you don't have to jump into buying one immediately unless you are storing equipment rather than using it.

Juz start shooting with what you have. The problem with newbies is, falling into the BBB trap. Ppl say good, then must buy. But, do you even use it?

• Tripod - Ask yourself, how often do you do night shooting? (personally I've survived tripod-less so far even though i do the occasional night shoots)
    • Filter - Personally, I think this is a MUST for every lens you own. In the event of any unintentional knocks/fingerprinting, the filter can act as your 1st line of defense :X
    • External Flash - Are you ready for that yet? Lugging an additional load while shooting.
    • Dry cabinet - IMO, it would be good to get one though NOT compulsory. But nevertheless, I must still emphasize that this storage method plays an impt role in the long run.

My point is, explore and play ard with your new toy 1st. Nothing is more frustrating than carrying a whole bag load of accessories and get tired out, then no mood to shoot.

Travel light... you'd prob enjoy the shooting experience more.
    :: Nikon D90 | Tamron 17 - 50mm f2.8 VC | Nikkor 85mm f1.8| Nikkor 50mm f1.8 ::

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieInCS View Post
    To be really honest, I think a lot of brothers here are a little over-paranoid over the dry cabinet issue. Maybe partly because they have a large collection of precious lens that they don't use frequently. Personally I think that even in our climate, if you are just starting out and have relatively few equipment, you don't need a dry cabinet. The important thing is to use and explore your camera and lenes everyday. If you are worried, you can just get a thirsty hippo and use a tupperware. Don't have to worry if it is too dry inside if you are taking out your camera and lenes almost everyday.

The cheapest dry cabinet that I have come across is the digi-cabi 30l one @$105 with gst from parisilk holland V. However, to get a real auto controlled humidity cabinet will cost a lot more than the $105. The digi-cabi one will flutuate according from day to day and even different time of the day. My digi-cabi one will flutuate around 41%-46% depending on day and time of the day. Anyway, the hygrometer might not even be accurate in the first place.

A dry cabinet is worth it in the long run, but you don't have to jump into buying one immediately unless you are storing equipment rather than using it.
    i thought the cheapest is from Carefoure? < $100

I think dry cabinet issue quite debatable, I'm newbie too who got one. I found it good as a storage and gives me a piece of mind.

But sidetrack a bit. I am like using the camera almost everyday and i find myself opening and closing the dry cabinet sometimes a few times a day. I know this will already affect the humidity setting but will this also cause dust to get contaminate the dry cabinet??

Not sure if its silly be a paranoid qns of a noob.

cheers,
    kilkenny
    Nikon D90 | Nikkor 50mm f1.8 | Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 | Nissin Di622 |

Just get one...Costs you what?$108 with free delivery?You throw thousands of dollars into your camera system knowing the camera will only last you 3 years and will lose you hundreds of dollars in resale value but want to scrimp and use silica gel? The dry-cabinet can last you at least 5 years provided your equipment list doesn't get too long.
    Honestly, just save yourself the hassle and get yourself a dry cabinet. (Gosh I sound like a TV ad...)

Quote Originally Posted by pooQy View Post
    i thought the cheapest is from Carefoure? < $100
    What model? Which branch? What size? Might want to hoot if bigger one also cheap

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieInCS View Post
    What model? Which branch? What size? Might want to hoot if bigger one also cheap
    not very sure abt this though. Few months back CSers here were raving abt the cheap dry cabinet there. Think you can go Suntec there to check it out.

For myself, i'm merely borrowing some space from my dad's dry cabinet.

Get a battery grip, SB-800 or SB-900 flash gun, fiters are more complicated. Like if you want your ligt to be like a star you buy the star filter or if you want general purpose you get the polarizing filter to make your sky have a richer blue colour. Even though you can make your have richer colour by setting you white balance to K and use the value 4000-4300.But the polarizing filter does play a part.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamintay View Post
    Get a battery grip, SB-800 or SB-900 flash gun, fiters are more complicated. Like if you want your ligt to be like a star you buy the star filter or if you want general purpose you get the polarizing filter to make your sky have a richer blue colour. Even though you can make your have richer colour by setting you white balance to K and use the value 4000-4300.But the polarizing filter does play a part.
    Thats an expensive upgrade lol

Don't forget wireless remote too.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamintay View Post
    Polarizing filter is not a general purpose filter and setting a warm white balance does not equal richer colours. Let's not confuse the TS further.

The must-have for us might not be a must-have for you. ( No offense to all the helpful members here!) Shoot with what you have now and find out for yourself what and why you need later on. This will save you a lot of money!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast