Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Getting 1st dslr soon. Dilemma!!

Default Re: Getting 1st dslr soon. Dilemma!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamintay View Post
    Hi, if you are intending to get Nikon, Get a D80 its a good camera though older but there are some incentives when you buy this camera, you can buy more lenses ultimately lenses are better than a good or new body. My school uses D80 and its good. My advice is don't buy kit lenses like the AF-S 18-135 or the AF-S 18-105 as the range is not that great, get lenses that have a better range like the Tamron AF 18-270 VC or (VR) or the Nikon AF 18-200 VR.
    Why not go for Canon like the EOS 500D that has a better resolution of 15.1 Megapixel and Full HD recording and the best part is that its cheaper and better than Nikon D80 and D90.
    Cheaper bodies mean you can buy more lenses and Flash guns.

Kit lenses are the best to start off with as a beginner, which I do not see in any way inferior to other lenses. Personally, I've been shooting all this while with my kit lens. I'm sure there are many CSers out there who start off with their kit lens and doing pretty well too.

Concept-wise, it's not about how good the equipment is... coz if your foundation sux, you won't get good pictures even with the best/higher end equipment on hand (e.g. 5Dmk II, D3, etc etc...)
    :: Nikon D90 | Tamron 17 - 50mm f2.8 VC | Nikkor 85mm f1.8| Nikkor 50mm f1.8 ::

Quote Originally Posted by deepanshus View Post
    i was very interseted in the toploading models, besides the free bag that we get with the camera.

Cirrus TLZ 25 (http://products.lowepro.com/product/...-25,1914,8.htm).

Anyone has any advice on such bags?

Top-loading generally better and easier when changing lens on the go.
    Can't comment much on the other bags as I'm using the default freebie Canon bag...
    hahaha! yeah... a Canon bag.

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    Tripod, depends on how much you're gonna use and the type of photos you're taking. My tripod is collecting dust now.

haha.. i like this.

bro... tripod collecting dust is coz u lazy to lug ard or really just no use for it at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by pooQy View Post
    Top-loading generally better and easier when changing lens on the go.
    Can't comment much on the other bags as I'm using the default freebie Canon bag...
    hahaha! yeah... a Canon bag.
    I use a lowpro offtrail 2 (i think) its top loaded with 2 side compartments. And it can be used as a pouch. Works pretty well for me so far. I wouldn't say its easier changing lens. But it definitely is easier to walk around, keep, take out, shoot, keep. Its big enough to fit my S5pro with battery grip, tokina 28 - 70 F2.8 (its a pretty big lens for that range) and GF lightsphere below the lens. Then i fit a flash on one side, aditional lens on the other. So its pretty spacious. Sometimes i fit two lenses into the side compartment. For example (50mm F1.8 + tamron 17 - 50)
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

haha.. i like this.

bro... tripod collecting dust is coz u lazy to lug ard or really just no use for it at the moment?
    I agree
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by smile_gerard View Post
    Actually i'm not too confident about this but the bigger the lens range for example 18 - 200, your iq would really suck compared to something like 18 - 70 which is just a fraction of the price. You get better image quality from getting a 18 - 70 and a 70 - 200 and you actually pay less compared to getting a 18 - 200. Isn't that why we go for primes? For image quality over having very convenient range? And whats the point of having 15mp resolution when you don't even print half the size? To be honest, 6mp is more then enough for normal use. Its good enough to print A3. So unless your printing huge posters then take the mega pixel into consideration. I seriously feel that mega pixel is over rated. The higher your mega pixel count, the higher your pixel density. And if i'm not wrong, thats not a good thing. Plus i would consider a 500D as entry range. The feel and built of the body would be more of a d40 or d60. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    Yes, totally true.
    Megapixels are indeed OVER-RATED.

Yes, totally true.
    Megapixels are indeed OVER-RATED.
    Good that we agree on something haha
    So what if you can't zoom in so much or your photo isn't razor sharp?
    When you print it out, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
    Sorry but i'm bias about Fuji more then nikon lol. Take a look at the images from the S5pro, even a D700 can't match the dynamic range from it. (i'm just quoting this from what someone who owns both said)
    And fyi, the S5 is only 6mp although its advertised as 12mp

just get the camera and kit lens first. dont buy things simply because people say "its very important!"

a tripod is a must for a landscape photographer, but a piece of junk for an event photographer. a dry cabinet is a must for people who pamper their cameras and can't bear to use it in case god forbid a scratch appears, but it's an over-priced cabinet for someone who uses the camera very often

people say a rocket blower is a must. i've never used one before.

long story short, just get any camera that fits your price point, go out and take photos. buy something only if you need it
    ((=

oh, and theres no such thing as a camera being too advanced. because there's always the magic green square on the control dial if you're a complete noob.

enjoy!
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

haha.. i like this.

hahaa, no use for it at the moment. sometimes only serve as a support for my reflector. hahaha!

yup, get a camera. shoot more pics. buy only when you feel you've reached your limit of your current gear and if you so choose to push it further. don't bother about the image thing... i know ppl who use lens with red rings (L lens), and gold rings (ED lens for nikon)... but take lousy photos. and some who use kit lens, but take amazing award winning photos.
    Last edited by happyfrog; 1st July 2009 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamintay View Post
    Hi, if you are intending to get Nikon, Get a D80 its a good camera though older but there are some incentives when you buy this camera, you can buy more lenses ultimately lenses are better than a good or new body. My school uses D80 and its good. My advice is don't buy kit lenses like the AF-S 18-135 or the AF-S 18-105 as the range is not that great, get lenses that have a better range like the Tamron AF 18-270 VC or (VR) or the Nikon AF 18-200 VR.
    Why not go for Canon like the EOS 500D that has a better resolution of 15.1 Megapixel and Full HD recording and the best part is that its cheaper and better than Nikon D80 and D90.
    Cheaper bodies mean you can buy more lenses and Flash guns.
    More range doesn't mean better, just more convinent when you need it, but not everyone will need that 105-200mm extra range, especially on a crop body.

Not to start a canon vs nikon thingy, but the 500D is not really at the level of the d90. Just try one for a few shots and you will understand why. The grip on the d90 is better, the build feels more solid, the viewfinder is bigger and brighter, the mini top lcd on the d90 is very useful and the user interface and setting change on the d90 is easier. More pixel on a smaller sensor=more noise. Before you call me a nikon fanboy...I am a canon user.

Nikon D90 with 18-105 kit lens
    >> Highly recommended for beginners; able to support the hobby beyond the AFS lenses.

AF 50mm f/1.8D or DX 35mm f/1.8G?
    >> 50mm f1.8 is pretty good for portrait shoots and cheap. Recommended.

maybe a AF-S Zoom 70-300mm.
    >> Hold on this first. If you need to extra 105 to 300mm range, then get a VR version of the 70-300mm.

Quote Originally Posted by limalison921 View Post
    Thanks everyone!!

so to start out i should have the bag, some filters and a cleaning kit.
    any cleaning kit recommendation?
    lenspen looks cool!!

from the all the great advice given, the flash and tripod seems to be something i'll get if i need. thanks!! (:

what bag would be great?
    assuming i'll be carrying the d90 + kit lens 18-105mm
    one or two prime lens. 50mm or 35mm size.
    and has space for the memory cards and filters?
    lowepro seems a great recommendation but what model exactly?
    Bag is good to have, otherwise, can just wrap with T-shirt and dump inside whatever bag that you are carrying for that day, just have to avoid putting keys and such in the same compartment. Anyway, you don't leave your camera in the camera bag when you are walking around right taking photos right? For me, even when I bring my camera bag out instead of whatever bag, I also leave it in the car boot with all the accessories, unless I am just out for the sake of taking photo at a specific place. Personally I feel that carrying an extra bag is very lehchey.

Filter is not really necessary at the start.

As for the cleaning kit, a blower should be sufficient for the initial stage. Dust tend to get on the lens as you walk around. Be mentally prepared for your first dust on the sensor too. Normally a few firm squeeze on the blower will make it clean again. Rocket blower at CP is just $10-$12 depends on size.

If you can afford, D90 is one of the most valued for $$ IMO.
    The 18-105 kit lens covers a good range and VR, hence it actually make a good walkabt lens.
    Other than that you can select the 35mm f/1.8 or the cheaper 50mm f/1.8 for prime add-on.
    Get a few E-quotes from the various stores like Cathay Photo, MS Color and John3:16.
    While IMO, I think John offer the best customer experience but they might not be the cheapest tho.
    Good luck in your purchase but don't neglect your studies!
    Agree...But remember to call the shops up instead of getting e-quotes as they either don't respond or take ages to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieInCS View Post
    More range doesn't mean better, just more convinent when you need it, but not everyone will need that 105-200mm extra range, especially on a crop body.

Not to start a canon vs nikon thingy, but the 500D is not really at the level of the d90. Just try one for a few shots and you will understand why. The grip on the d90 is better, the build feels more solid, the viewfinder is bigger and brighter, the mini top lcd on the d90 is very useful and the user interface and setting change on the d90 is easier. More pixel on a smaller sensor=more noise. Before you call me a nikon fanboy...I am a canon user.
    Thats what i was trying to say haha... And that is why i also say a 500D is an entry level dslr. I can't imagine a dslr without that extra lcd.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    And why would TS necessarily require a large focal length range?

TS should buy the 28-300mm then, going by your concept. TS don't buy 18-270mm, not enough range!

500D doesn't > D90 automatically. Personally, I prefer the IQ and body feel of the D90. It's quite obvious that you are suggesting many different types of cameras, and justifying them based on your flawed perspectives.

agreed. i've already more or less decided on a nikon.
    and i've more or less decided on a d90 with the kit lens.
    more megapixels ≠ better. seriously.

thanks a lot for all the discussion!!

are b+w filters really better than hoya?
    i mean. there's quite a price difference for some.
    anyway. the crumpler bags look great. i've always wanted a crumpler since 5 years ago.
    but are they specialized enough for cameras? like a 5,6,7 million dollar home?

anyway. the crumpler bags look great. i've always wanted a crumpler since 5 years ago.
    B+W and HOYA are good filters. See wats ur budget. And mostly is up to user preference.
    I'm using the HOYA HD UV filter. Seems fine to me. Tried the B+W too.

Regarding the crumpler bags, the million dollar home are for cameras and videocams. If you're gettinth the d90 w kit lens. The 6 million dollar hme would be sufficient.

Don't fall into the BBB poison so early . Get the kit set, shoot around and slowly build up.
    Btw some kit set comes with a 190AW bag.

Happy Shooting!!!
    Nikon D90|N35mm f1.8G
    N12-24 f4|T90mm f2.8|T180mm f3.5

Blog Entries

Image??? hmmmm *smiles*. This is so "Uniquely Singapore". *wink*

So in the end photography is about how people see you and the gear you own. This is freaking awesome....

I don't even fit on this scale anymore... I am using a D40x. Goodness, I am not even "new and not sure what I want". That is kind of sad coz, my dad bought the 40x (ok ok, I got it for free... Freeloader alert!!). And he has been into photography for 40 years, had his own color darkroom, still owns very very classic cameras. Worse still, nowadays, he likes to carry around his PnS when he travels... Sacrilege!!!!!

*smiles*

Again, similar to what some of you say, please don't be offended. I am just ranting... and trying to inject some sarcastic humor.

Peace.
    (whatever happened to "it's the person behind the camera?")

Quote Originally Posted by smile_gerard View Post
    Why would a d200 be too advance? I pick a d200 because of the "image" it give the photographer. When i say "image" i don't mean the photos.
    This is the way i see it:

D60 - I'm new, i'm not sure what i want
    D70 - D90 - I really do like and want to learn more
    D200 - D300 - I'm serious about this, and i know what i want
    D700 - Its time to move on to FX
    D3 - I have money and my D3 is gona make more...

Well i hope i don't offend anyone

Blog Entries

Forget the SB400. Get the 600. With the 400 you cannot bounce when shooting in portrait orientation. And get a diffuser too, the sto-fens come cheap.

And I cannot agree with your point on cheap tripods. I use a cheap $50 tripod. It is more stable than my friend's $150 manfrotto (lower range). Of course it is a 3 way pan head, not a ball. But still, it is hella stable. Of course it is not more stable than, say, a $500 tripod setup. But it will not peng-sang. I've mounted production-level video cameras with lights on this tripod, and it never peng-sang-ed on me.

I believe any tripod is better than none. But care needs to be exercised when handling tripods and cameras (don't we all need to do that anyways?).

I also believe flash guns are more important than most people give them credit for. Once you own one and start shooting, you will understand what I mean. Especially if you shoot people from time to time.

Oh, and if TS is really considering the SB400 do let me know.
    I've been planning to get 1 in the recent weeks... haha.

Discussion of the SB400? Read here

See whether buy with package can get discount anot~

Blog Entries

More expensive does not necessarily mean better. See the following article and be surprised!!

http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article...ters_test.html

By the way, Heliopan makes Rodenstock. And Nikon clear filters are not in this test. Nikon clear filters did exceptionally well in another test I read a while back. I forgot the URL though. Google it.

Enjoy.

Last edited by daredevil123; 1st July 2009 at 11:29 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast