Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting 1st dslr soon. Dilemma!!

Default Re: Getting 1st dslr soon. Dilemma!!

I just went around shopping for my first dslr a while back. What I found was that you really need to know what you are looking for and stick to what you are looking for. Many shops tend to try to push other items or brands to you. Like for instance, while I was shopping for a d90, one shop tried to sell me sony, another tried to push me towards canon. So even if you are tempted by the whatever that the salesman push to you, do not commit. Go home do your research again if you are tempted. IMHO, it pays to hunt around for pricing, go home do a bit of research and think it through.

For lens, sometimes a shop can quote you a lower price than another shop, but there might be some other catch, like for instance one sells you a copy that is sharper than the other, or one has a longer warranty, etc. Personally, I think newbie should always just buy the kit lens and only the kit lens for their first shopping trip. This is because not every copy of the same lens model is the same due to tolerance and stuff. Moreover, you probably still don't have much clue about the range you like to shoot at or whether if you can live with primes, unless you have some film slr experience. I mean you are already in a state of confusion about all the different function of the new body, how will you be able to even properly test a few lenses. Anyway, shops rarely give extra discount even if you buy everything at one go.

Do note the weight of the camera too. A small difference of 200-300g can and will feel very different. When I first tried the "semi-pro" bodies after the d90, my hand shake became more obvious due to the different weight balance despite just a slight weight increase. After a while I love it. Different people have different palm size, so what works for me might not work for you.

I didn't buy on my first shopping trip for a camera and I am glad, because it gave me time to really look around and think about what I really want and need. The body and lens that I ended up with were totally different from what I had planned for on the first day. Reading online and seeing in real-life can be very different.

budget?

for 50mm f1.8 vs 35mmf1.8

50mm is dirt cheap with amazing IQ. but note on dx its mostly used for portrait and u can shoot much wide.
    35mm allows some wide shots.

dun buy 70-300 yet until u used ur 18-105 and realise u always have not enough range.
    105mm on a dx is 150mm.

at 300 mm...u can shoot people that you cant even see with your eyes.

d90 is gd =) use it and love it.
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieInCS View Post
    I just went around shopping for my first dslr a while back. What I found was that you really need to know what you are looking for and stick to what you are looking for. Many shops tend to try to push other items or brands to you. Like for instance, while I was shopping for a d90, one shop tried to sell me sony, another tried to push me towards canon. So even if you are tempted by the whatever that the salesman push to you, do not commit. Go home do your research again if you are tempted. IMHO, it pays to hunt around for pricing, go home do a bit of research and think it through.

For lens, sometimes a shop can quote you a lower price than another shop, but there might be some other catch, like for instance one sells you a copy that is sharper than the other, or one has a longer warranty, etc. Personally, I think newbie should always just buy the kit lens and only the kit lens for their first shopping trip. This is because not every copy of the same lens model is the same due to tolerance and stuff. Moreover, you probably still don't have much clue about the range you like to shoot at or whether if you can live with primes, unless you have some film slr experience. I mean you are already in a state of confusion about all the different function of the new body, how will you be able to even properly test a few lenses. Anyway, shops rarely give extra discount even if you buy everything at one go.

Do note the weight of the camera too. A small difference of 200-300g can and will feel very different. When I first tried the "semi-pro" bodies after the d90, my hand shake became more obvious due to the different weight balance despite just a slight weight increase. After a while I love it. Different people have different palm size, so what works for me might not work for you.

I didn't buy on my first shopping trip for a camera and I am glad, because it gave me time to really look around and think about what I really want and need. The body and lens that I ended up with were totally different from what I had planned for on the first day. Reading online and seeing in real-life can be very different.
    Yes, I do agree with newbieinCS. It definitely pays to do some homework before heading out to the stores.
    As you are already in photography, you prob have realised what you like to take. Eg, landscape or portrait or macro etc... From there you know what specs of the camera body to look out for. Afterwhich the selection of lens will come in at a later stage.
    Camera bodies prices drop quite drastically so it be good to get the one you desire, can afford and upgrade no more...otherwise, it be siong on the pocket.
    As for the stores, the commonly known ones are like cathay photo, MS colour, TK photo, TCW, Orient Photo, Alan Photo, Lords.
    These are the few that I can think of offhand.
    Best is to let your fingers do the walking and call them to chk the price before goin down to test it.
    2nd hand stuff is not a bad idea but one gotta know what to look out for.
    Personally, I would consider D90 or D5000 for a start. D90 for its noise management and D5000 for its vari-angle screen. My PnS camera is vari-angle and I find it very useful...

Hope this helps...

Smile Re: Getting 1st dslr soon. Dilemma!!

Thank you so much everyone!!

I conclude that getting a d90 would be a good buy? i'm not too sure about the d200 though, it isn't very consumer dslr-ish, is it? I was considering the d60 last december after the d90 came out and i was afraid that i would be dissatisfied with the d60 and wish that i got the d90 instead. (haven't got any though, as you can see...) that isn't a crazy decision/thought right?

one week already i've asked asked an e-quote for the d90 kit from ms colour and they haven't gotten back... that's normal, i presume?

thanks for the lens advice, newbieincs.
    i'll most probably be playing with my camera and kit lens for a while before moving on to getting lens for other kinds of shots. i was asking to save time and cause i couldn't contain my excitment.

but just a question.
    50mm for portrait shots seem to be a favourite right?
    that's on a dx or fx camera?

I tend to take lots of photos of/with my friends. half body. from about 1.5 to at most 2 metres away. may have occasional group shots every half a year for gatherings. haha.
    you know? that kind of photos? it'd be great to have a fast lens.
    so would a 50mm be good? would it be too tight or would a 35mm be better?
    all on presumably a d90.

Knowing myself and some out there, GET BOTH!!
    but which one to get first if such a thing happens so that i may not get the other one?
    Last edited by limalison921; 30th June 2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: typo

Zoom your future kit lens to 50mm and give it a try. If its the range that you want then go for it
    Its a tiny lens that gives you really nice pictures.
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by limalison921 View Post
    PS. I don't know if it seems to be too much since it's my first dslr.
    Nope. It's a hobby! Buy THE BEST you can afford (without going too broke and having too much heartpain after) to make you feel the best!

Hahaha.

Deregistered

There is no best imho, its all about photography skills. A newbie can make a 5dmkII work like crap while a pro can make a 300d work like magic.

Most important, is research, I'm glad I didn't get a nikon entry level because I found the grip too small for me and while there are many fantastic lens for nikon, the entry level can only have AF if its using DX lens. It's another learning curve for newbie I guess, but to me I rather having my pictures focused and work on my MF skills in the later stages.

i wouldnt have much to comment about, but getting a D90 would be one that you would hold on for like maybe let's say. to max of half a year if ur really fast on moving on.

i started out with a D40, swapped to a D80 within a month. and jumped to the D200 within 2 more mths.

really depends on what ur going for. lol.
    D200
    [B]Flickr

I conclude that getting a d90 would be a good buy? i'm not too sure about the d200 though, it isn't very consumer dslr-ish, is it? I was considering the d60 last december after the d90 came out and i was afraid that i would be dissatisfied with the d60 and wish that i got the d90 instead. (haven't got any though, as you can see...) that isn't a crazy decision/thought right?

one week already i've asked asked an e-quote for the d90 kit from ms colour and they haven't gotten back... that's normal, i presume?

i'll most probably be playing with my camera and kit lens for a while before moving on to getting lens for other kinds of shots. i was asking to save time and cause i couldn't contain my excitment.

but just a question.

I tend to take lots of photos of/with my friends. half body. from about 1.5 to at most 2 metres away. may have occasional group shots every half a year for gatherings. haha.
    so would a 50mm be good? would it be too tight or would a 50mm be better?

but which one to get first if such a thing happens so that i may not get the other one?
    for ms, rather than e-quote, just call. e-quote can print out of course, but i think usually you can just say florence quoted you this and that over the phone.
    d850 | a7r3 | I1P | P4P | Videos | Photos | Aerials

mscolour has NEVER replied my e-quote request. Try e-mail CP, they replied the next day. Remember to print out if you are getting base on e-quote price because shop quote is usually higher.

thanks! I've been watching and checking out a lot in the marketplace for all the nikon stuff
    (I've always been so crazy about cameras that I recently neglected my studies a little. )

cathay photo has good service and prices? what about ms colour? i know i'm a real newbie about all this. i guess i'm more package-sensitive than price sensitive too. HAHA.
    hi.. u shld make a trip to john 3:16 at funan... great service.. price oso not bad..

There's also Alan Photo at sim lim square... They actually have online prices in their web site.
    S5pro,Toki28-70,12-24,Tam17-35spoilt,70-200,SB600,800,Voigt 58F1.4,http://hensongerard.multiply.com

Smile Re: Getting 1st dslr soon. Dilemma!!

but just a question.
    a 50mm focal length for portrait shots seem to be a favourite right?

any more thoughts on this?

but just a question.

all on presumably a d90.

50mm a favourite? Depends on the one behind the viewfinder.

Half body 1.5m away? Nikkor 85mm f/1.4

Group photos? Definitely can't do with 50mm. Get the Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8.

Which one to get? Get the more important/useful/enjoyable one first.

You didn't mention a budget, so these lenses may be a little...

J3:16 is a good place to go to coz they don't push people to buy and are very friendly, though the price a bit on the higher side. Not sure why though, they seem to prefer selling canon coz they keep trying to sway me towards canon when I was looking at the D90 by comparing the D90 and 500D photo output. The canon was warmer but it was obviously just a case of WB issue. Maybe because D90 very low stock

Quote Originally Posted by smile_gerard View Post
    Hmmm lets use car's as an example
    D60 - Picanto
    D90 - Vios
    D300 - Evo
    D700 - Porche
    D3 - Ferrari

So thats a very drastic version of what i mean by image
    Its like what people think of you at first sight.
    I'm sorry i had to comment on the concept about 'image'.
    If you like what you do and are good at it, does it matter what others think of you?

It's very much like, if i buy a better looking camera bag, other ppl will think i can take better pics? Or, I get a battery grip for my cam, so I look more Pro = able to produce better pics.

I hate to say this, but this concept is just so wrong.
    :: Nikon D90 | Tamron 17 - 50mm f2.8 VC | Nikkor 85mm f1.8| Nikkor 50mm f1.8 ::

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    Nope. It's a hobby! Buy THE BEST you can afford (without going too broke and having too much heartpain after) to make you feel the best!

Hahaha.
    Totally agree.
    Start off with an interest... with something reasonable.
    When your interest grows into a passion, upgrades will come automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Agenda View Post
    There is no best imho, its all about photography skills. A newbie can make a 5dmkII work like crap while a pro can make a 300d work like magic.

Most important, is research, I'm glad I didn't get a nikon entry level because I found the grip too small for me and while there are many fantastic lens for nikon, the entry level can only have AF if its using DX lens. It's another learning curve for newbie I guess, but to me I rather having my pictures focused and work on my MF skills in the later stages.
    Quite true.
    Initially i had only budget for a D60. But after some explanations from the Pros i approached and with some logical justifications based on facts from the Internet, it was a clear decision that throwing in some extra dough for a D90 would make more sense in the long run - Lens compatibility (Support of auto focus feature of the lens).

Quote Originally Posted by pooQy View Post
    I'm sorry i had to comment on the concept about 'image'.
    If you like what you do and are good at it, does it matter what others think of you?

It's very much like, if i buy a better looking camera bag, other ppl will think i can take better pics? Or, I get a battery grip for my cam, so I look more Pro = able to produce better pics.

I hate to say this, but this concept is just so wrong.
    It is wrong but thats reality. My previous boss once said to me "It doesn't matter what you use, but bigger is better" I didn't believe it at first. But when you walk into a group of photographers consisting of pns, prosumer, dslr, all shooting the same group of people, as long as your camera is the biggest or as long as you stand out the most. Thats where the eyes turn to. If you don't believe, give it a try. Its the sad truth. Take the cars for example. You walk into a parking lot, on the left is a picanto. On the right you see the Porche. Which would you look at. This is what i was trying to say when i mean image. But of cuz it doesn't really apply if you don't shoot anything related to people. Think about it from the people who is getting their photograph shot from rather then the photographers point of view.

but just a question.

all on presumably a d90.

For the e-quote question, I'd suggest you give them a call directly. Not very normal to wait for a week.

it's good that you already have an idea of what you want.
    One final question - have you tried out the cameras hands-on?

I would suggest that you do so, because a comfortable camera grip is very important. This 'toy' will be in your hands for an extended period of time. Comfort is quite essential. For myself, I went to the shops to have a feel of the models I was interested in.

Generally, nikon bodies are slightly bigger in size and heavier than Canon. IMO, I feel that Canon bodies are more suitable for ladies, but don't slam me for that just yet! I know of some ladies who are using nikon and lovin' it!

A kit lens is probably all you need for now, if you're on budget constraint. I worked with my kit lens (18 - 105mm) for a couple of months before I got myself another lens. The 18 - 105 is great for general photography - all shot in my album are taken with this lens.

A 'fast' lens is generally good for places with low light (w/o the use of flash) and close up shots. You can use it for candids too as a CS-er (Zac) has advised me earlier. The 50mm f/1.8 is a 'must-have' since it the cheapest 'fast' lens amongst the Nikkor lens series. As they always say "Cheap & Good!". The last price update abt 1 week ago is as follows:

J316 - $180
    MS - $195 (no stock at the moment, need to call and check)

If you can budget in, you should probably be getting the following:
    (assuming you're getting the D90 package)

- D90 w/kit lens (18 - 105mm)
    - 50mm 1.8
    - Cleaning kit (may be able to get free with bundle)
    - (bag usually comes free with it)

Optional:
    - Dry cabinet

Really optional (at the moment):
    - external flash
    - tripod

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast