Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gap Years (Gappers)

Default Re: Gap Years (Gappers)

Quote Originally Posted by ckuang View Post
    personally, I am actual in agreement with the TS. I don't think there's much comparison because
    1. Gap year is a choice. NS is not
    2. What you do within gap year is a choice, what you do within NS is not.
    3. Just because you enjoyed NS doesn't mean everyone else does. There's no option to cut short the duration of NS, while you can do so with a gap year.

I can understand the TS frustration. Having gender specific conscription is extremely unfair and conveys a negative message to my daughter that she gets to assumes certain privileges such as citizenship simply because of her gender. If she want singapore citizenship, i would expect her to serve NS like the males rather than spending 2 years off on some extended vacation.

highly agreed.
    especially 3.

"1) NS is indeed a very valuable experience that could help you later when you come out to work. The networking that you make in NS will always be stronger than any gap year networking .... So i truely don't understand why you are so negative in your views towards NS."

this is not always true... and it lacks justification.

Sorry guys, been away the past few days, didn't expect this thread to generate so many comments!

I agree with night86mare that the attitude others take to overseas trip. I am like that too, having been to Vietnam for 3 weeks without any companion. I just planned my own itinerary and headed there for self-exploration. This Saturday heading over to Bangkok (first time) alone again. It's not that I'm a loner, but I like being alone overseas so I can sort out my thoughts and observe things at my own leisure.

I think in Singapore, we are too concerned regarding things like our future, (which extends to our after-life too haha), and we do not live in the present.

Anyway I guess this topic has been discussed to death. I personally feel a gap year should be taken for those who have the luxury of time and money. Also, the Straits Times should not have published such a balls-stroking article to please the authorities.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    also, whether or not singaporeans take gap years has nothing to do with ns.

it has everything to do with mindset, blaming it on something else is just being plain silly and grabbing at air to justify your own lack of an ability to wish to break free of a mold.

you need to talk more to people from overseas who are more than willing to just waltz off for periods of 6 months to 2 years to backpack for a bit. they didn't think, they just did it. no justification to self, they just felt like it, they did it, and they lived with their decision. no nambypambying and thinking "oh, this might affect my future" or "oh, this will result in no pay for a bit".... they just did it, and therein lies the difference.

zilch to do with ns.
    Quote Originally Posted by germ_boi View Post
    Sorry guys, been away the past few days, didn't expect this thread to generate so many comments!

I agree with night86mare that the attitude others take to overseas trip. I am like that too, having been to Vietnam for 3 weeks without any companion. I just planned my own itinerary and headed there for self-exploration. This Saturday heading over to Bangkok (first time) alone again. It's not that I'm a loner, but I like being alone overseas so I can sort out my thoughts and observe things at my own leisure.

I think in Singapore, we are too concerned regarding things like our future, (which extends to our after-life too haha), and we do not live in the present.

Anyway I guess this topic has been discussed to death. I personally feel a gap year should be taken for those who have the luxury of time and money. Also, the Straits Times should not have published such a balls-stroking article to please the authorities.

Cheers.
    Couldn't agree more. Altho I'm still young, haven been much countries or whatsoever, but since young, what I listen my mum told me is, people are much more friendlier in the european countries.
    You just need to speak out more, nothing to do with NS.
    Maybe you can say that I haven been to NS so I know shiats about it.

And I do hope I would be like night86mare and germ_boi, travel around the world and exploreeeee

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post

but you also have to remember the mindset of students overseas can be slightly, if not very different. in my mingling amongst the Aussies I realised a lot of them chose to study what they are studying or have studied because they have a passion to do so, not because they realised that it could secure better job prospects. in that case, they do it because they want to do it, with little regard to external situations. it can be viewed as reckless, but it also can be viewed as seizing the moment. this might be extrapolated into their views of gap years as well.
    well, yes it is more common.

but the point is, if you want it bad enough, you will do it.

i think a few years back, some singaporean couple took no pay leave for quite an extended period of time to do this, there was a minor hoo ha in the papers; i say, it is a good thing, especially if one travels with an open mind. then again, it is like education - you can experience education for unlimited period of time, if you did not receive anything in your mind, then you will not be educated at the end of the day. i know people who travel just for the sake of saying that "i've been there" when all they did was stay in a 5 star hotel and walk on the streets for 1/4 of the time they were in the area to snap pictures of themselves against scenic backdrops. i always question what they are doing there, since you can do the same thing in singapore.

anyways, i have not met that many australians when travelling.. now and then, but didn't talk much. most of the adults i see backpacking in europe tend to be from canada and america (and the former will insist that they are canadians and are not to be taken as americans).

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

anyways, i have not met that many australians when travelling.. now and then, but didn't talk much. most of the adults i see backpacking in europe tend to be from canada and america (and the former will insist that they are canadians and are not to be taken as americans).
    the Aussies that go to the UK go there for work purposes. ahahaha.

I think most of my Aussie friends that took gaps went to explore Asia or South America. cheaper for their pockets I suppose. I mean, how much are you going to save by working at Maccas for about four years of your life.
    chicken fight!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12