Thread: Flying with camera gear

Default Flying with camera gear

Hand carry cabin baggage restriction is 7kg.

My Computrekker Plus AW already weight 5kg.

I can try to squeeze things into my fastback (about 1.5kg)

But definitely I am still going to exceed the 7kg limit carrying 2 bodies with grips, 4 lens and 2 flashes, plus misc items.

Any tips? Thanx in advance.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Default Re: Flying with camera gear

I suggest carrying your laptop in a separate bag. Unless you are flying a budget airline, the airline will usualy not count that as part of your 7kg limit.
    Alpha

Blog Entries

Even for budget airline, a laptop also do not count as part of the carry-on weight limit. Remember to print out a copy of their own regulations. For tiger air, this is specifically stated on their website. that a laptop is considered a personal item and it is allowed in addition to your 7kg of carry-on luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post

But definitely I am still going to exceed the 7kg limit carrying 2 bodies with grips, 4 lens and 2 flashes, plus misc items.

Airlines usually don't weigh hand carry luggage unless it looks obviously heavy or oversized. So just stay cool and carry it as if it were a normal bag. Don't struggle with it at the check in gate and don't show the strain on your face when they check your boarding pass. And of course don't ask the pretty stewardess to help you put it in the overhead compartment

Blog Entries

I thought the Computrekker Plus AW only weighs 2.75kg empty? I mean this is the listed weight by Lowepro.

Even my Compu Primus AW, which is a much heavier bag, weighs in at only 3.5kg empty.

usually they will not check the weight of your bag unless it is really bulky and it's bigger than the standard size allowed, if not it should be allowed on-board.. but hopefully you can also manage the luggage yourself too, if not they will know that it is overweight if they need to assist you in putting it in the overhead compartment..

Blog Entries

Thanx for all tips dudes, I might had read the computrekker plus weight wrongly, lbs instead of kgs. I am fat but strong so i won’t look overpowered by the bag. I only worry about the computrekker plus bag looking really big I think its just within airline size allowances.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

carry excess equipment on your person. this is another time where photographer vest comes in handy.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

My Think Tank International, a medium sized suitcase perfect for the cabin is oevrweight every time i travel. It has to be about 15-20 kg.
    You should have no problems, but if it gets weighed in security once you go through customs then they will tell you to put it under.

When you check in your other baggage, tell the person at the front that you are carrying a load over the 7kgs as hand luggage. They will then put a sticker on it and it will list the luggage weight and you should have no problems. Show them that it is your camera gear and they will let you go straight through. I have done this once and i have had no problems.
    I have also been through security and been caught with my bag 15kg +. It was about a 15 min process but it finally got cleared and then they told me that i shouldve got it cleared at Check in first.

Like reportage has said the next option is carrying you heaviest camera and your heaviest lens on you. The only reason that your carry on baggage has to be under a certain weight is that if it falls from the overhead lockers, it will hurt someone. But this is a old rule and unless the turbulance is very very rough, the lockers shouldnt open. If you take your camera and lens and put it on your neck and then put it under your seat that is ok to.

Good luck travelling

I've travelled with my Computrekker AW filled with at least 1 laptop, 5 lenses, 2 bodies and flash umpteen number of times and never once been stopped. In fact I had been carrying my tripod bag together with my Computrekker. No worries, if stopped, Just tell them it's only your laptop and your camera and there should be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by yatsunil View Post
    Airlines usually don't weigh hand carry luggage unless it looks obviously heavy or oversized. So just stay cool and carry it as if it were a normal bag. Don't struggle with it at the check in gate and don't show the strain on your face when they check your boarding pass. And of course don't ask the pretty stewardess to help you put it in the overhead compartment
    Quote Originally Posted by reuters View Post
    usually they will not check the weight of your bag unless it is really bulky and it's bigger than the standard size allowed, if not it should be allowed on-board.. but hopefully you can also manage the luggage yourself too, if not they will know that it is overweight if they need to assist you in putting it in the overhead compartment..
    By the time you are struggling with the weight inside the plane, they would not bother to ask you to check the bag because by doing so, they will have to carry your bag back out and it is too much trouble.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8