Thread: some questions.

Default some questions.

hi guys!

I'm trying to compile some notes on photography based on books i borrowed from the library.
    maybe someday i can post it up here for others to reference.

heres the first question i have.

what is the definition of "to expose"

when asking in the forum, some answers are like , expose for the shadows, expose on the grass stuff like that.

can someone give me a proper explanation for that phrase ?

Default Re: some questions.

this book is all you need to read now.

Understanding Exposure (Revised Edition) by Bryan Peterson

can find in our National Library.

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Have you tried google and wikipedia? Exposure is a basic of photography. You might want to read the newbies guides on here or get a beginner's book in the library. Also, your camera manual will have a section on exposure, it may be under the metering section.
    Alpha

thanks for the book introduction ! will certainly go borrow it.

well i tried wikipedia , and beginner books. but i cant really get a definition of "exposing"

is it: to adjust shutter speed and aperture to achieve desired composition? '
    or am i getting it totally wrong?

Exposure is the process of letting light coming in through the lens and hitting a light sensitive media. This can be film or any kind of electrical sensor. One key aspect here is: the correct amount of light. In the same way as our skin gets burned when exposed too much to the sun also the image on the media needs a defined amount to be correct exposed. Above and below is garbage. How to determine the right amount? That depends on 3 parameters: the diameter of the 'tube' letting the light in (in photography: aperture), the time during which the light is allowed to come in (shutter speed, exposure time) and the sensitivity of the media (ISO speed). There is no "one exposure setting fits all" since these 3 parameters affect each other and also they determine other aspects (aperture: Depth of Field; ISO: image noise; shutter speed: freezing motion, image blur due to handshaking). Go on reading

Composition: is the art of arranging the elements in your image to create the desired outcome. There are guidelines (Rule of Third, portraits etc.) and there are many ways to skin a cat It's best to get books here and study how other people compose their images and what the outcome is (I don't like to say 'effect' here.. misleading.)

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    this book is all you need to read now.

Understanding Exposure (Revised Edition) by Bryan Peterson

can find in our National Library.

good book..... yes, u can get this from the library.... good pics and good explanation
    Last edited by MumSon; 29th June 2009 at 01:52 AM.