Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lens for fashion shoot

Default lens for fashion shoot

Hi Guys.

I do wish I have the dough to get the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS for indoor fashion shoot...
    However, did anyone use a 70-200mm f/4 (with and without IS) for indoor fashion shoot before?

Dont mind sharing your experiences or any difficulties with it?

Default Re: lens for fashion shoot

isnt it a bit tight to use indoors?

Quote Originally Posted by grainpixel View Post
    Hi Guys.

I do wish I have the dough to get the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS for indoor fashion shoot...
    However, did anyone use a 70-200mm f/4 (with and without IS) for indoor fashion shoot before?

I used to own the f/4 non-IS for all indoor stage events and fashion shows, no problems whatsoever.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Hi Guys.

I used the 70-200mm f/4 IS on a Canon 50D at a recent fashion show and can only manage a half body portrait when the model pose and turn back.

This is my first attempt at fashion shoot and imo, the varying lighting at different part of the (short) runway was more challenging to me.
    ~ Change is the only constant ~

thanks all for their input.

Seems like I might use the medium zoom lens more often.
    My other lens right now is a 24-105mm f/4.
    I am kinda worried that the f/4 might be a major problem indoor. (Althought the IS might feel a little)
    However, the photos taken will not be blown up to poster sizes.
    I will only need them for web viewing only.

Asking as the price differences between the f/2.8 and f/4 is quite a lit of difference.
    Times are bad, hence thinking much more carefully when commiting to a new buy.

you ever thought about using prime lenses? the 50mm or the 85mm might do nicely. you get more range in terms of depth-of-field, plus they are fast lenses so are great for indoor use.

since you shoot fashion, i assume that you do not have to work too fast (as compared to shooting events or action) so do you need the versatility of a zoom?

some thoughts to consider.

yes, definitely...

like many others, there are so many lenses to get, but too little budget to spare.
    The 70-200mm range will of course be the versatile lens, which I can use for many other occassions.
    I am of course, inclined to get the f/4 as the weight of the f/2.8 will be a killer for me when I travel with it.
    I have rented one for an event before, and I could really feel the weight after a short while.
    Maybe I need to train up my biceps, but I really feel this lens is too heavy for me.

As you said the 50mm and 85mm are excellent for indoor use, I too felt that way.
    The price is at the least, reasonable.
    Btw, I am using a FF camera.
    Which do you think has a more "useful" reach? 50mm or 85mm?
    Both lenses are about the same price, so it boils down to the reach.

I used the 70-200 f4 IS with a 5D2 for the recent Audi Fashion Festival and quite satisfied with the results. Some of the images can be viewed here:
    http://peterong1985.multiply.com/pho...shion_Festival
    Love the lightweight and superb image quality.

I'm using an Olympus 40-150mm which gives me a 80-300mm on my 4/3 bodies (with 2x crop factor).
    To me it's ok for indoors only if it's a close-up shoot and there is sufficient space.

Mostly, I'll only zoom a little until 100-150mm equiv so I think that the 70-200mm can be alright if you know how to play with composition and angles.

hey, thanks for the link.
    May I know if you are standing at the edge of the stage and did you find yourself shooting on the short or the long end of your 70-200?

hey, thanks for the link.
    May I know if you are standing at the edge of the stage and did you find yourself shooting on the short or the long end of your 70-200?
    I'm standing near the edge, videographers at the centre. For full body shots 70mm is enough and half body shots were taken using the tele end. ISO 1600-2500.

Just a little OT from the choice of lens.... I presume it is a catwalk runway, hence unless you are the official event photographer that day, you may want to bring a ladder with you for the event. No point having the perfect setup but is block by someone at the front....

Thanks guys.
    As recommended, i will probably keep a lookout for a 70-200mm in B&S.
    I believe it will be good enough, with a 24-105 and 70-200 in my bag for fashion shoots. (for an amateur)
    I cant go wrong with either lens, although I would love to have f/2.8 for both.
    Last edited by grainpixel; 28th June 2009 at 06:05 PM.

i say get the 85mm since you are on FF and you mentioned that 70mm will give you a full-body shot so it's pretty close.

it also depends on what's your shooting style. 50mm will usually give you a bit of space around your subject on a FF. if you prefer to get in tighter, then the 85mm would be a good choice. a matter of just adjusting your distance from your subject. 85mm will also give you more compression in the scene.

yes, definitely...

like many others, there are so many lenses to get, but too little budget to spare.
    The 70-200mm range will of course be the versatile lens, which I can use for many other occassions.
    I am of course, inclined to get the f/4 as the weight of the f/2.8 will be a killer for me when I travel with it.
    I have rented one for an event before, and I could really feel the weight after a short while.
    Maybe I need to train up my biceps, but I really feel this lens is too heavy for me.

As you said the 50mm and 85mm are excellent for indoor use, I too felt that way.
    The price is at the least, reasonable.
    Btw, I am using a FF camera.
    Which do you think has a more "useful" reach? 50mm or 85mm?
    Both lenses are about the same price, so it boils down to the reach.

fashion runaway shoot is it ... i thought fashion photography. lol.

135mm f2 sounds good..

haha...my mistake.
    Yes, it will be for indoor fashion runway shoot.

haha...my mistake.
    Yes, it will be for indoor fashion runway shoot.
    70-200 f/2.8. fast enough for low lighting and the different cropping.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    70-200 f/2.8. fast enough for low lighting and the different cropping.
    +100

70-200 f/2.8 IS.. is very sharp! Love it although it's damn heavy. You would also need a monopod. A zoom is more useful here as more often than not, you do not have much choice on where you will be standing. Far or near, the 70-200 range should be able to cover. The 2.8 and IS will also be useful when the lighting conditions is bad. Go for it!

i am also using 70-200mm F4 IS with FF Cam. Been shooting alot using this lens for all kinda events. Since you are using FF, then lighting shouldn't be a problem as you can up the ISO.
    Its good for fashion shoot on runway. Although F2.8 IS would be better, but considering the weight and price, i still prefer F4. Moreover 70-200mm is 1 of the best 'L' telezoom lens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast