Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft to cut prices on Windows 7 system

Default Microsoft to cut prices on Windows 7 system

Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) will sell the standard home-user version of its new Windows 7 operating system for 8 percent less than the comparable version of its Vista system, as the global downturn hits spending on technology.

News Link: Microsoft to cut prices on Windows 7 system

Do you guys think that the slash of prices will benefit people here in S'pore?

Default Re: Microsoft to cut prices on Windows 7 system

WinXP for me still.

Tried the RC version of the windows 7. It is suprisingly quick on my slow com which I only use to surf net, a pentium D with just 512mb ram. Not sure why, file transfer between drives and internet speed actually increase.

However, on my gaming com which is higher spec, I am suffering from frequent freeze of 3-4seconds. Also not compatible with a lot of drivers and softwares, even my card reader also sometimes will freeze when I use windows 7. Worst of all is that I can't use the latest/later gfx drivers for my gfx because it will cause the aero effect to stop working. 3D mark also drop a bit in results compared to win xp.

Not s significant reduction... Sill happy with the stability of XP. If no new features, no reason 2 plonk few hundred $ 4 it. However, m open to edu version if price is right.

Better wait for some months till the system has been properly examined by security teams and the worst loopholes and errors have been fixed. By then also most hardware vendors will have released the proper drivers. 8% price cut is nothing if one needs days to get a system going. Time spend on fixing Windows is time lost for other things.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie88 View Post
    Not s significant reduction... Sill happy with the stability of XP. If no new features, no reason 2 plonk few hundred $ 4 it. However, m open to edu version if price is right.
    Well, Micro$oft just extended XP support to 2012.

microsoft is just trying to earn money. S$200+ for an upgrade from vista to windows 7? macs are gonna need to pay only around S$50 to upgrade to snow lepoard. Besides, they already adknowledged vista was more or less a failure, and thus should make the upgrade from vista to windows 7 cheaper, like USD70 or so......

Although windows 7 is great, i'm not planing to pay that money for it, not for now.......

Get a mac. You don't have to worry so much and its soo much better.
    Been using mac for the past 2 years and my desktop pc is collecting dust.

But back to your question, i do think the price cut will help. But with Microsoft losing MANY customers due to Vista, its going to be hard for Microsoft to regain their popularity.

I'm fine with XP, it aint broke yet, no need to fix it, no need for upgrades.

Frankly, I'm really hoping that the price of Windows 7 will drop in S'pore.
    I want to change my OS in my com from Vista to Windows 7 when it's released here.

Quote Originally Posted by FriedKimchi View Post

But back to your question, i do think the price cut will help. But with Microsoft losing MANY customers due to Vista, its going to be hard for Microsoft to regain their popularity.
    I don't agree . I attribute Microsoft losing many customers due to Mac.

Vista is fairly ok (till now i don't get any BSOD due to it), but most people do not just jump form XP to Macs/Linux just because of vista. they would rather choose not to upgrade and Macs just started to own those who are buying new computers with OSX.

But nonetheless, Macs > windows in almost every aspect except hardware and gamings (the 2 things that made me choose windows over mac)

Edit: I still hate microsoft for their prices on windows os. I find that its not 8% cheaper, instead, its 92% more expensive considering that windows 7's performance was supposed to be vista to begin with......
    Last edited by agentxq49; 28th June 2009 at 06:22 PM.

As a mac user i'd say buy a mac
    but windows 7 is looking to be pretty ok...

i'd say if u're buying a new system, wait till its pre-installed

Quote Originally Posted by FriedKimchi View Post

Oh please... It's sooooo easy to hack into a Mac. And at least Microsoft doesn't charge you $$$ to install service packs and security updates!! (what Apple calls "new operating systms").

To me, Snow Leopard is NOT a new OS, it's just a Service pack.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by agentxq49 View Post
    microsoft is just trying to earn money. S$200+ for an upgrade from vista to windows 7? macs are gonna need to pay only around S$50 to upgrade to snow lepoard. Besides, they already adknowledged vista was more or less a failure, and thus should make the upgrade from vista to windows 7 cheaper, like USD70 or so......

Although windows 7 is great, i'm not planing to pay that money for it, not for now.......
    You cannot compare like that. Apple is a hardware company and their main revenue is from sales of Macs and Ipods, and not so long ago by selling music online. Apple don't rely on selling OS X for survival unlike Microsoft on the other hand is a software company, the revenue of Windows sales greatly affect them. You cannot blame Microsoft for selling Windows at a higher price than Apple, really.
    Last edited by Lightworkz; 1st July 2009 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Oh please... It's sooooo easy to hack into a Mac. And at least Microsoft doesn't charge you $$$ to install service packs and security updates!! (what Apple calls "new operating systms").

To me, Snow Leopard is NOT a new OS, it's just a Service pack.
    Windows 7 is a new OS meh? Seems like a service pack to fix Vista problems

Apple security and patches also free by the way.

I think you should read up on what's new in Snow Leopard first. Hee.
    Last edited by adorable; 1st July 2009 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by agentxq49 View Post

Edit: I still hate microsoft for their prices on windows os. I find that its not 8% cheaper, instead, its 92% more expensive considering that windows 7's performance was supposed to be vista to begin with......
    I agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightworkz View Post
    You cannot compare like that. Apple is a hardware company and their main revenue is from sales of Macs and Ipods, and not so long ago by selling music online. Apple don't rely on selling OS X for survival unlike Microsoft on the other hand is a software company, the revenue of Windows sales greatly affect them. You cannot blame Microsoft for selling Windows at a higher price than Apple, really.
    well i got xbox360 controller for windows (if that helps a little of their hardware department) lol...

and for mac, its a holistic approach. you buy a bundle, you can't just buy their OS. cos their OS only work on their hardware (of course, can hack, but wait... its illegal)...

for windows, yes, microsoft is essentially a software company... but they don't only have windows, even thou its their main selling point, they still have other things they sell which earns them more revenue, and every hardware sold by companies, a certain cut is given to them cos their hardware still need windows.

and by looking at Windows 7, its just damn y did they release Vista, Windows 7 is what Vista is supposed to be... it just makes Vista an extended paid beta release.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by adorable View Post
    Windows 7 is a new OS meh? Seems like a service pack to fix Vista problems

Apple security and patches also free by the way.

I think you should read up on what's new in Snow Leopard first. Hee.
    look at the software number... same as Vista... lol... they should offer free upgrade for Vista, and rename it as Vista service pack 3 - Win7 convertor.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    well i got xbox360 controller for windows (if that helps a little of their hardware department) lol...

and for mac, its a holistic approach. you buy a bundle, you can't just buy their OS. cos their OS only work on their hardware (of course, can hack, but wait... its illegal)...

for windows, yes, microsoft is essentially a software company... but they don't only have windows, even thou its their main selling point, they still have other things they sell which earns them more revenue, and every hardware sold by companies, a certain cut is given to them cos their hardware still need windows.

and by looking at Windows 7, its just damn y did they release Vista, Windows 7 is what Vista is supposed to be... it just makes Vista an extended paid beta release.
    I like the way you phrased it.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post

yea, I have the X box 360 too and on top of that I used to own a couple of Microsoft keyboards and gaming mice when I was still using PC. Nonetheless, these hardwares are just "sideline", Microsoft core business is corporate licences of Windows client/server, Exchange and then the ninty over percent of the home PC market running Windows. These are the real money spinner for M$. And I fully agree with your last statement, M$ should have skipped the "half-baked" Vista and just release Windows 7. But it doesn't affect me since I am a Mac user.

Any price slash will benefit buyers during the economic downturn. LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast