Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Thread: Who's into Classical Music here?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Shadus
    I would stick my neck out to say that in fact, the classical music population in singapore is picking up over the last 5 years. More & more people are learning to appreciate it.

    I hope that at the end of the day, we can still pay $12 to watch SSO perform. In some countries, ticket price of their top orchestra is pretty steep.
    SSO!? Never really liked their performances, especially after Lan Shui took over. They play with nearly no expression and dynamics. The music sounds really "dead". Now I only attend concerts by other orchestras when they come over. e.g. Berliner Barock Solisten.

    Regards
    CK

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by rueyloon
    oh...

    I tot classical music are the likes of

    1) ABBA
    2) beatles
    3) Englebert Humperdink

    etc etc..... hehehe
    Nah, those are considered pop.

    Regards
    CK

  3. #23

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    SSO!? Never really liked their performances, especially after Lan Shui took over. They play with nearly no expression and dynamics. The music sounds really "dead". Now I only attend concerts by other orchestras when they come over. e.g. Berliner Barock Solisten.

    Regards
    CK
    haha, thanks for the info mate. I was thinking of listening to them.

  4. #24
    Sin
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Nah, those are considered pop.

    Regards
    CK

    What about things like Mary Had a Little Lamb, Baa Baa Black sheep eetc?

    I thought those were classical songs?

    : )
    Muahahahahahhahahaahhaha

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    62

    Default

    My all time fav is Pachebel's Canon in D. And one of Chopin's Nocturnes but I can never remember the exact title.

    I like Jazz too. The ones that can be streamed from the Web's quite good.

    But actually for classical music, I'd rather be the one playing (not that I play very well =P) than listening cos sometimes it can be quite a yawn when you're just listening.

    I don't like Richard Clayderman though. And I don't like Bach cos his pieces are too stuffy and I used to really dread 'em during practical exams. But, not as much as the 3rd pieces (for exams) which are like the more contemporary sort and they sound really horrible cos there is no melody.

    BTW, Does anyone know if there's like a library for piano scores or something? OVer the Web?

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Originally posted by wildhoney
    I don't like Richard Clayderman though. And I don't like Bach cos his pieces are too stuffy and I used to really dread 'em during practical exams. But, not as much as the 3rd pieces (for exams) which are like the more contemporary sort and they sound really horrible cos there is no melody.

    BTW, Does anyone know if there's like a library for piano scores or something? OVer the Web?
    try this website

    or this one

    Can't stand Richard Clayderman - the muzak of pianists .. reminds me of liberace .. blech.

    You mean the modern dischordant contemporary rubbish?
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UP NORTH
    Posts
    727

    Unhappy

    was a rocker when young, i played grand funk, santana, MSG, scorpion and the all time favorite. DEEP-PURPLE..... now tone down to four-play,GRP, latin...........age catching up.........

  8. #28

    Default

    Bach isn't stuffy, it's the way teachers made students play Bach that makes it feel stuffy. Bach helps me concentrate, Scriabin gives me ideas, Rachmaninov reminds me that I'm human, Mozart loves to mimic a coloratura soprano bellowing her lungs out and blowing her throat dry, Prokofiev is the garden gnome. Chopin's forever a woman's man. (Or a butch's womanish husband? Haha. No hard feelings. Meant to be fun.)

    Clayderman getting suckier by the hour. I remember him in his earlier days, when I was five or six, somehow the music he played was not as icky as now.....same thing is happening to pavarotti, turning into a pop star.

    20th century music isn't unmelodic, just that it had advanced to a point where the melodies are dissonant and harmonically unconventional. There IS a melody in 20th century music. If you listened carefully, the sounds of speech are actually dissonant and in rare cases, atonal.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by wildhoney
    My all time fav is Pachebel's Canon in D. And one of Chopin's Nocturnes but I can never remember the exact title.

    I like Jazz too. The ones that can be streamed from the Web's quite good.

    But actually for classical music, I'd rather be the one playing (not that I play very well =P) than listening cos sometimes it can be quite a yawn when you're just listening.

    I don't like Richard Clayderman though. And I don't like Bach cos his pieces are too stuffy and I used to really dread 'em during practical exams. But, not as much as the 3rd pieces (for exams) which are like the more contemporary sort and they sound really horrible cos there is no melody.

    BTW, Does anyone know if there's like a library for piano scores or something? OVer the Web?
    I don't like Richard Clayderman either, though I once liked his music (guess everyone has been through the Clayderman stage where everyone MUST play stuff like Ballade pour Adeline )

    For music scores, try http://www.music-scores.com/

    Regards
    CK

  10. #30

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang

    (guess everyone has been through the Clayderman stage where everyone MUST play stuff like Ballade pour Adeline )

    ah.... don't remind me !!!
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Scriabinesque
    Bach isn't stuffy, it's the way teachers made students play Bach that makes it feel stuffy. Bach helps me concentrate, Scriabin gives me ideas, Rachmaninov reminds me that I'm human, Mozart loves to mimic a coloratura soprano bellowing her lungs out and blowing her throat dry, Prokofiev is the garden gnome. Chopin's forever a woman's man. (Or a butch's womanish husband? Haha. No hard feelings. Meant to be fun.)

    Clayderman getting suckier by the hour. I remember him in his earlier days, when I was five or six, somehow the music he played was not as icky as now.....same thing is happening to pavarotti, turning into a pop star.

    20th century music isn't unmelodic, just that it had advanced to a point where the melodies are dissonant and harmonically unconventional. There IS a melody in 20th century music. If you listened carefully, the sounds of speech are actually dissonant and in rare cases, atonal.
    Liked the way you describe the various composers. Agree with you that Bach isn't stuffy if you play it right. In fact, I quite like Bach's keyboard stuff.

    Well, many a classical musician has "degenerated" to playing pop and stuff like that. As for Richard Clayderman, I guess his Ballade pour Adeline days are much nicer. Now its just passe. And I can identify Clayderman within 2 bars, even for unfamiliar music.

    Regards
    CK

  12. #32

    Default International Piano Festival 4 July to & July 2002

    This year's Piano Festival is pretty exciting, with Fredrich Chiu playing his famous transcription of Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kije Suite and Bach/Busoni's Organ Chorale Preludes transcribed for the piano. Other pieces include Ravel's monumental Gaspard De La Nuit, Liszt transcription of Beethoven's Fifth, Spanish Composer Granados' Goyescas, The Argentinian tango master Astor Piazzolla's work would be featured as well. Don't miss it!

  13. #33

    Default

    i'm into attending concerts at the moment, but classical music tickets very hard to get, especially at Wigmore Hall which has many top acts (missed Mitsuko Uchida because of that). On the other hand, Anne-Sophie Mutter performs in London so often, no problem getting tickets

    Off to Natalie Merchant tonite, and next week, 2 Barbara Bonney duet series recitals.....

  14. #34

    Default

    I like classical music too! Listen to jazz and pop but keep returning to classical as it's so rich and expressive.

    I like Chopin and Beethoven (the dark, brooding, brilliant type). Recently have started to like Bach too-- there's something about the way that the motifs layer and interweave and catch other motifs that's fascinating. There were a couple of shows on artscentral where his unaccompanied cello suites were set to dance, animation etc (the arty type, not the disney type) -- absolutely beautiful.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North East of SG
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Originally posted by rueyloon
    oh...

    I tot classical music are the likes of

    1) ABBA
    2) beatles
    3) Englebert Humperdink

    etc etc..... hehehe
    this are called oldies..
    i like classical, most beethoven, mozart, vivaldi, scarlatti and tchaikovsky

  16. #36

    Default haha. not moving liao

    hmmm....
    this isn't moving again....
    is it that many people are half-bucket-water when classical music is concerned? or just posing....? i haven't had time to clubsnap.

    well those posing types i know lots.....they're just there to socialise with the high society. don't see any point in mixing around with them.....so i just walk off.....unless i'm with my friends.

    tedd joselson is getting boring....attended VJCPE concert on saturday......and for the third time, he's performing as a guest. The redeeming bit of his part was him playing the Precipitato from Prokofiev's 7th...real brutal power and brutal speed, not to mention that raw and vulgar properties that movement holds....could hear the strings vibrating to near snapping-point...

    VJCPE has pulled off yet another trademark concert, a three hour long programme with about half hour worth of things that are really worth listening to.....

  17. #37

    Default

    EUROBEAT!!!! (sorry CK)

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North East of SG
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Originally posted by rueyloon
    my friend's got an around $20K collection of over 1300 classical CD's, he's thinking of selling his whole collection... .anyone interested ?
    rueyloon,
    your friend still selling?
    i might be interested in getting some which i might be interested in....does he have a catalogue or something?

  19. #39

    Default

    no classic guitarist?

  20. #40

    Default

    classical guitar like Mangore, Albeniz etc?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •