Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's into Classical Music here?

Default Who's into Classical Music here?

Hi,

Classical seems to be a dying genre (sad thing). But I do see some people here who seems to be in it, like igpengiun, scriabinesque, habsburg etc.

So who else likes classical?

Regards
    CK

(I am using "Classical" in the broad sense of the word, encompassing Baroque, Classical, Romantic etc. eras and not just limited to classical).

i love classic rock. does that count??

my all time fav, Canon in D, Four Seasons, etc etc... can't remember the titles

JAZZ..... Forever....!!!

me also like classical

smooth jazz is good....very relaxing....nice tune too....
    er...me recommand going to winamp.com......look for music streams.....u neber know wat kind of music u can find.....

Most of the time I listen to classical music. The pleasure from naturally produced and well captured sounds cannot be described. Largest part of my collection. I go for the lesser known composers.

I listen to jazz, being a jazz player myself. Have not so decent a collection for jazz.

In the photo studio it's a big mix, even progressive trance and lounge mixes, that I don't own any of.

artemis
    Guests

Cool Classical

I love classical music!

Favourites are: Dvorak, Chopin, Rachmaninov, Zelensky,... most Romantic stuff.
    Hate: Tschaikovsky, Shostakovich and Wagner.

And you can listen to a really good Real Audio broadcast online at http://www.wgms.com
    Check it out.

Artemis

Originally posted by Scriabinesque
    Most of the time I listen to classical music. The pleasure from naturally produced and well captured sounds cannot be described. Largest part of my collection. I go for the lesser known composers.

I listen to jazz, being a jazz player myself. Have not so decent a collection for jazz.

In the photo studio it's a big mix, even progressive trance and lounge mixes, that I don't own any of.

eeee......are u a jazz player ?? what instrument ??

i'm a bass player... jazz bass... playing bass for more than 8 years.

I play the same instrument that the great Ansel Adams play.

I love all the russian composers out there. Plenty of character. So far I have not really hated any composers other than those pieces that have been really overplayed, deconsecreted, *******ised, etc etc.

Originally posted by Scriabinesque
    I play the same instrument that the great Ansel Adams play.

I love all the russian composers out there. Plenty of character. So far I have not really hated any composers other than those pieces that have been really overplayed, deconsecreted, *******ised, etc etc.
    No wonder you're Scriabinesque. I never really liked the 20th century composers. The only Scriabin I've done is "The Darkened Valley" in one of my exams. Gd 8 I think.

I tend to prefer Baroque, Classical and the Romantics. But I don't like the ones which have been repackaged to include sea waves, bird calls, etc. Yucks.

Regards
    CK

Mi heavy metal/hard rock in the past. Now slowly turning to symphony

Cheem.

I can't really dissect my classical tastes (or general listening tastes for that matter). If forced to I would pick the usual stuff usually picked by the uninitiated: Bach (which sounds "mathematical" in a good way), Mozart (sounds like a happy-go-lucky chap), chopin, scarlatti (his sonatas, not composed for the piano, taking on whole new lives on the piano).

Usually look for piano stuff, recently branched into Naxos and Cash-Converter goods to sample broader repertoire.

The greater part of my exposure to classical music was actually in secondary school in a MEP program. Then I didn't pay a lot of attention during classes, and eventually dropped out, but it did serve as a good "subliminal" education (ie I can probably recall stuff I heard before in MEP but alas not be able to name them)

my friend's got an around $20K collection of over 1300 classical CD's, he's thinking of selling his whole collection... .anyone interested ?
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Originally posted by rueyloon
    my friend's got an around $20K collection of over 1300 classical CD's, he's thinking of selling his whole collection... .anyone interested ?
    What?^%$# What's a pity to sell!

Originally posted by tomshen

What?^%$# What's a pity to sell!
    Yeah man. But I am not about to pay $20K for 1300 CDs. Storage issues aside, it'll take a long, long time to finish listening to them all.

Regards
    CK

I like most pre c.20 material, in particular works by the likes of J.S.Bach, Dvorak, Beethoven, Mozart and Tchaikovsky, Schubert and Vivaldi.

Am also a big listener to traditional music from many cultures, be it Latin Lays or Tuvan throat singing.

Other than that it's NWOBHM and 60s to 90s rock, electronic and well anything that's well played really.

About the only thing I don't like over much is Opera.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

I would stick my neck out to say that in fact, the classical music population in singapore is picking up over the last 5 years. More & more people are learning to appreciate it.

I hope that at the end of the day, we can still pay $12 to watch SSO perform. In some countries, ticket price of their top orchestra is pretty steep.

JerChan
    Guests

Pachelebel, my all time favourite.

oh...

I tot classical music are the likes of

1) ABBA
    2) beatles
    3) Englebert Humperdink

etc etc..... hehehe
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast