Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

  1. #1

    Default NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    Hey peeps, well as you may see, i'm absolutely not a newbie at all, i've been a member for almost 2 years now. but theres an issue which i would like you frequent helper to gimmi a hand in.

    well you see, i've been asked by a church friend to help a group of SMU graduates take some graduation photos in 3-4 weeks time, she even asked me how much should i charge.
    well, i've asked a friend, also on CS, he said standard rate is to charge $50/hr. well i guess ultimately its up to me to name a price.. and since they're my church mates, i'm thinking of charging them a little lesser.

    but i would like to know, how much would you charge for such shoots. the shoot will last for about 5 hours.
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

  2. #2
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    Company event: 20SGD to 28 SGD

    Pte event: 15SGD to 18 SGD


  3. #3

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    Haha like the previous newbie hongray charging at this rate ... LOL

  4. #4

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    depends on whether it is taking place indoors or outdoors. u also need to factor in when u shooting this if u are working on weekdays. also factor in whether they want prints or just softcopy. i am not sure your level of processing but u will need to factor that as well.

  5. #5

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    okayy thats a little too little. hmmm
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

  6. #6

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Company event: 20SGD to 28 SGD

    Pte event: 15SGD to 18 SGD

    If charging at such low rate, i rather do it for FREE (Only close friend/relative/family).
    Why Free. Because u won't have any commitment to deliver fantastic photo meaning less stress on your side. Secondly, its also as a goodwill to friends, especially close friends. NOthing matters more than close friendship. Talk money hurts.

    If not, then charge at a average photographer rate.

  7. #7

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    depends on whether it is taking place indoors or outdoors. u also need to factor in when u shooting this if u are working on weekdays. also factor in whether they want prints or just softcopy. i am not sure your level of processing but u will need to factor that as well.
    yupp, you're adsolutely right. i'm guessing it should be both outdoors and indoors, thats why i'm planning to bring bout 2 flashes to play around with some light. about the processing part, yupp you're right i'm not that Pro yet.

    but in any case, thanks for the advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by playplay View Post
    If charging at such low rate, i rather do it for FREE (Only close friend/relative/family).
    Why Free. Because u won't have any commitment to deliver fantastic photo meaning less stress on your side. Secondly, its also as a goodwill to friends, especially close friends. NOthing matters more than close friendship. Talk money hurts.

    If not, then charge at a average photographer rate.
    EXACTLY. haha
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    I wouldn't charge at all but rather have them donating the money for any charity organization, maybe something related to your church. I don't like charging among friends, I prefer such non-monetary arrangements.

  9. #9

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    Quote Originally Posted by pplneedthelord View Post
    yupp, you're adsolutely right. i'm guessing it should be both outdoors and indoors, thats why i'm planning to bring bout 2 flashes to play around with some light. about the processing part, yupp you're right i'm not that Pro yet.

    but in any case, thanks for the advice.
    they might be looking at studio shoot. so do a fact find before u decide on ur rates.

  10. #10
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    I wouldn't charge at all but rather have them donating the money for any charity organization, maybe something related to your church. I don't like charging among friends, I prefer such non-monetary arrangements.
    Well, as you mentioned, money would still be a factor. Therefore this arrangement would somehow or another still involve money. It just depends on where the money goes to.

  11. #11

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    i somewhat do have a plane la.

    i'll charge $50/hr for the 5hr shoot. but i'll take out $10 from every $50 to give it back to the church or any organisation which deserves the money.
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

  12. #12
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    i'll charge $50/hr for the 5hr shoot. but i'll take out $10 from every $50 to give it back to the church or any organisation which deserves the money.
    No organisation or church "deserves" money. It's a matter of whether you are able to part with a little of what you have to put some light in their life, or even fatten the paycheck(quite meager in some cases, abundant in others) of some pastor.

  13. #13
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Well, as you mentioned, money would still be a factor. Therefore this arrangement would somehow or another still involve money. It just depends on where the money goes to.
    But that's the main question: where does the money go to? Going into any private pocket seems unsuitable to me. But if they are all from the same church than they will know whether donated money feeds a fat pastor or some needy people.

  14. #14
    Member Cartman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    1,732

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    Hmm, quite unlikely that the whole group of SMU graduates would be from the same church. Moreover, if there were to be Buddhists, Muslims or Hindus in the group, not sure how they would react to them having to donate to a church. Maybe what TS could do would be to identify the costs associated with the shoot, then collect just enough to cover these costs.

    But I agree with you that the money should not go into the coffers of an individual.

  15. #15

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    Quote Originally Posted by pplneedthelord View Post

    well you see, i've been asked by a church friend to help a group of SMU graduates take some graduation photos in 3-4 weeks time, she even asked me how much should i charge.
    well, i've asked a friend, also on CS, he said standard rate is to charge $50/hr. well i guess ultimately its up to me to name a price.. and since they're my church mates, i'm thinking of charging them a little lesser.

    but i would like to know, how much would you charge for such shoots. the shoot will last for about 5 hours.
    i will be blunt here -

    do you have experience in such matters?

    do you think you can do a good job?

    or are you just looking to earn some money?

    don't worry, i don't mean anything really, i just think that while it is a free market, it is a wee bit inethical if you have limited experience to even take up the job at all. of course we all begin somewhere, but observing can get the learning part done somewhat, as well as viewing of results and trials with closer friends foc.

    in any case, i have always rejected anything to do with people and events.
    Last edited by night86mare; 27th June 2009 at 11:46 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    But that's the main question: where does the money go to? Going into any private pocket seems unsuitable to me. But if they are all from the same church than they will know whether donated money feeds a fat pastor or some needy people.
    okay i don't wanna get religious and stuff here yea

    but i'm pretty sure i'm old enough to know that such money will never go into a pastor's pocket directly.

    hmm actually ultimately its my choice as to Who the money is donated to. but in any case, my one and only question at the start was to know how much should i charge. but oh wells.
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

  17. #17

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    I charge $380~$450 for 3 hours. 50 ~100 Prints.

    I charge because I sweat for the pride and commitment I put into the work. Preparation, read up, Equipment test, Check, Actual shoot assurance, Dedicated Post Processing.

    Put Dollars into it and do a Good Job Lah. Need money to keep up with the hobby man. Plus.. It can deprive sleep sometimes.

    Think about it.

  18. #18

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    btw pls take note that it is harder to shoot a group of ppl than an individual in many aspects. so be prepare to spend alot of time.

  19. #19
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    this is like a chicken and egg question, you can deliver results, you can charge whatever you like. when you charge money, you better deliver results.

    anyway, what to charge is the cost plus profit for what you work in front of your customers and behind the customers, the amount of work and time for what you work behind your customers is definably more than what your work in front of your customers. and most customers can only understand what you work in front of them, so they only willing to pay for that much, many photographers also fail to understand how much work involve to deal in one job, hence, there are people charging $15 per hour, that price will be go if start charging from the time when the photographer show up till he deliver the finish works.

    anyway, 5 hours is too long, this is not a event shoot, your customers will fall asleep while waiting to be shot. if there so many people what to have group and individuals shots, try get one or two photographers co work together.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: NOT a NEWBIE HERE!

    Quote Originally Posted by pplneedthelord View Post
    i somewhat do have a plane la.

    i'll charge $50/hr for the 5hr shoot. but i'll take out $10 from every $50 to give it back to the church or any organisation which deserves the money.
    sounds good to me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •