Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

  1. #1

    Default beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    yesterday, a malaysian man struckup a conversation w me in the lift.

    he say he brought some good quality durian to spore. $6 per kg.

    i decided to buy some.

    he signalled his fren at the carpark. a m'sian car appeared.

    bought 4 durians, quality is decent.

    9kg. i paid $54.

    i sensed that its not 9kg, so upon reaching home, i weighted them. 7kg only.

    ****, kanna conned.

    after leaving the durian in my hse, i decided to go out.

    a few blocks away, i saw the man trying the same tactic on another man. so, i told him to come over, and nicely told him he overcharged me by 2kg.

    but i also say nvm lah. wow, he insisted that he must refund me!!!
    after getting my unit number, he promised to leave 2 durians outside my unit as compensation!!!

    of course, no durian was found outside my unit.

    kanna chortchanged by 2kg, i not angry, jus take it as paying $12 for sch fee. but con say con lah. i am more "disappointed" in him promising to compensate me, but didnt.

    i told my family my story, hoping they wun get conned.

    my mum say she also kanna b4, in changiV. ppl bring mango from pengaran, also kanna shortchanged.

    so, folks, spread the news, and watch out.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    72

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    LOL after you left he probably thought you dont want what, then dont need lor, dont waste hahas

    Shouldnt have been so 'gentlemanly' and turn down the other 2 KG

    But then again, he DID say he would compensate .

    Fair Fair lahs. Next time just buy fruits online.

  3. #3
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    can just take the 2 durians on the spot?


  4. #4

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81 View Post
    can just take the 2 durians on the spot?
    cant lah.

    durians in a car, somewhere in neighbourhood car park.

    salesman walkin around.

    and i also dun expect any refund. but he "insisted". sigh. lesson learnt.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    sounds like you really like durians just like your nick

  6. #6

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    lol saw your post at fishing kaki ^^ fellow fisher n photographer

  7. #7

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    Quote Originally Posted by enchantedream View Post
    lol saw your post at fishing kaki ^^ fellow fisher n photographer
    hi, jus wan to share my story.

    hope they dun con too many ppl.

  8. #8

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    Quote Originally Posted by attap seed View Post
    yesterday, a malaysian man struckup a conversation w me in the lift.

    he say he brought some good quality durian to spore. $6 per kg.

    i decided to buy some.

    he signalled his fren at the carpark. a m'sian car appeared.

    bought 4 durians, quality is decent.

    9kg. i paid $54.

    i sensed that its not 9kg, so upon reaching home, i weighted them. 7kg only.

    ****, kanna conned.

    after leaving the durian in my hse, i decided to go out.

    a few blocks away, i saw the man trying the same tactic on another man. so, i told him to come over, and nicely told him he overcharged me by 2kg.

    but i also say nvm lah. wow, he insisted that he must refund me!!!
    after getting my unit number, he promised to leave 2 durians outside my unit as compensation!!!

    of course, no durian was found outside my unit.

    kanna chortchanged by 2kg, i not angry, jus take it as paying $12 for sch fee. but con say con lah. i am more "disappointed" in him promising to compensate me, but didnt.

    i told my family my story, hoping they wun get conned.

    my mum say she also kanna b4, in changiV. ppl bring mango from pengaran, also kanna shortchanged.

    so, folks, spread the news, and watch out.

    yah right, you not angry , you not up sad and you came and complaint about 2 kg....
    Objection !!!

  9. #9
    Member just2ofus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    155

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    yah right, you not angry , you not up sad and you came and complaint about 2 kg....
    I believe he is not really complaining, more of warning..
    When is the last time you tried something for the first time?
    http://flickr.com/photos/just2of-us/

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    if i were you, take `1 solid durian and try to spot thier car........ then u know what to do when u are high up in the block - with a durian in hand - and a stupid durian seller!!
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  11. #11

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    yah right, you not angry , you not up sad and you came and complaint about 2 kg....
    i live tampines.

    my favourite durian stall is at bugis.

    i dun drive. and i ve tried many different ways to use public transport to bring durian home to my family. but i tink its not fair to other commuters.

    i wun mind if ppl can deliver quality durian to my doorstep.

    business is long term.

    but to shortchange me, dun tink its rite.

    jus wan to share my experience w other ppl.

  12. #12

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    yah right, you not angry , you not up sad and you came and complaint about 2 kg....
    If you were him how would you feel and what would you do?

    It is not about 2kg.. it about being cheated and warning others.

    ... I never and would trust those ppl
    Last edited by Yappy; 1st July 2009 at 05:56 AM.

  13. #13
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    This kind of conman I also kena before when I was at my friend's house.
    The conman said that the durians he is selling is D24.

    My friend was tempted by the price of 5 durians for $80.
    The market rate is around $20-$25 for a durian which weighs 2kg @ $12/kg.

    Luckily I have some knowledge with durian.
    D24 have a "flower" on the bottom.

    I asked to check the durian and I couldn't find the "flower".
    Better still, he open up one and I found that the colour of the flesh was towards the orange-reddish colour.
    This kind of durian is the D13 or D101 which costs about $5-$12 per durian, depending on size.

    I'm sharing my experience.
    So next time be careful..

  14. #14

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    This kind of conman I also kena before when I was at my friend's house.
    The conman said that the durians he is selling is D24.

    My friend was tempted by the price of 5 durians for $80.
    The market rate is around $20-$25 for a durian which weighs 2kg @ $12/kg.

    Luckily I have some knowledge with durian.
    D24 have a "flower" on the bottom.

    I asked to check the durian and I couldn't find the "flower".
    Better still, he open up one and I found that the colour of the flesh was towards the orange-reddish colour.
    This kind of durian is the D13 or D101 which costs about $5-$12 per durian, depending on size.

    I'm sharing my experience.
    So next time be careful..
    can post picture of the "flower"?

  15. #15
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    can post picture of the "flower"?
    Erm, sorry.
    I don't have the pic. Will snap it the next time I buy my D24.
    (now on durian diet.. )

  16. #16

    Default Re: beware - durian con-man in your neighbourhood

    Grammar fixed

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    yah right, you not angry , you not upset and you come and complain about 2 kg....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •