Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Need help on f-stop calculations

  1. #1

    Default Need help on f-stop calculations

    Hi... was puzzled on how people calculate f-stop value?
    For example a f5.6 + 2 stops equals to wat no.? what is the formula used?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations


  3. #3

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations

    thx for the infor...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,984

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations

    Quote Originally Posted by Keiichi View Post
    Hi... was puzzled on how people calculate f-stop value?
    For example a f5.6 + 2 stops equals to wat no.? what is the formula used?
    Every +2 stops is x2 to the f-number. Every +1 stop is roughly x1.4 (more exactly x square-root of 2) to the f-number. After a while, the progression (+1 stop each time) 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22 should come naturally to you.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations

    Quote Originally Posted by Keiichi View Post
    Hi... was puzzled on how people calculate f-stop value?
    For example a f5.6 + 2 stops equals to wat no.? what is the formula used?
    as answered it's f/11.

    I guess for stuff like F-stops, the easiest way to get around them is to memorize the whole range? It'll come to you after a while

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations

    When people say '+' I usually think to open up, not stop down. So my answer would be f2.8. You should clarify your '+' is to let in more or less light, cheers.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    When people say '+' I usually think to open up, not stop down. So my answer would be f2.8. You should clarify your '+' is to let in more or less light, cheers.
    hmm...good point

  8. #8

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    When people say '+' I usually think to open up, not stop down. So my answer would be f2.8. You should clarify your '+' is to let in more or less light, cheers.
    strobe power is metered in f-stops as well. f11 would be 'correct' in that case - two stops more output. really depends on context.
    eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    as answered it's f/11.

    I guess for stuff like F-stops, the easiest way to get around them is to memorize the whole range? It'll come to you after a while
    Then there's stuff like 1/2 stops or 1/3 stops in camera settings, which makes it even more confusing.

    If I'm not wrong, for 1/3 stops, it goes something like this: (correct me if I'm wrong)

    f1, 1.1, 1.2, f1.4, 1.6, 1.8, f2.0, 2.2, 2.5, f2.8, 3.2, 3.5, f4, 4.5, 5.0, f5.6, 6.3, 7.1, f8, 9, 10, f11, 13, 14, f16, 18, 19, f22

  10. #10
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations

    Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    Then there's stuff like 1/2 stops or 1/3 stops in camera settings, which makes it even more confusing.

    If I'm not wrong, for 1/3 stops, it goes something like this: (correct me if I'm wrong)

    f1, 1.1, 1.2, f1.4, 1.6, 1.8, f2.0, 2.2, 2.5, f2.8, 3.2, 3.5, f4, 4.5, 5.0, f5.6, 6.3, 7.1, f8, 9, 10, f11, 13, 14, f16, 18, 19, f22
    Garion, I was reading and following this thread. Your this information is very enlightening to me. I have never thought of it in such an exact way. Thank you.
    I have a question here: do these terms 'increase by 1/3 stop, 1 stop, 2 stops' appply to , say, shutter speed and ISO too?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    I have a question here: do these terms 'increase by 1/3 stop, 1 stop, 2 stops' appply to , say, shutter speed and ISO too?
    yes. for ISO settings, "one stop faster" is equivalent to doubling the ISO number, eg. 400->800. for shutter speed, "one stop faster" means you should double the exposure time, eg. 1/30s to 1/15s.
    eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

  12. #12
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations

    Quote Originally Posted by varf View Post
    yes. for ISO settings, "one stop faster" is equivalent to doubling the ISO number, eg. 400->800. for shutter speed, "one stop faster" means you should double the exposure time, eg. 1/30s to 1/15s.
    I see. So in summary, 'Increasing by 1 stop' means essentially doubling it for shutter speed and ISO, but in the case of aperture, it means multiply by 1.4. Have I got it correct?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations

    Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    Then there's stuff like 1/2 stops or 1/3 stops in camera settings, which makes it even more confusing.

    If I'm not wrong, for 1/3 stops, it goes something like this: (correct me if I'm wrong)

    f1, 1.1, 1.2, f1.4, 1.6, 1.8, f2.0, 2.2, 2.5, f2.8, 3.2, 3.5, f4, 4.5, 5.0, f5.6, 6.3, 7.1, f8, 9, 10, f11, 13, 14, f16, 18, 19, f22
    yea! Totally!

    I think just memorizing the full-stops can already lah

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations

    actually just rem the FULL stops can liaoz.. 1/2 stops usually not necessary and typically only "occur" if you use AUTO.

  15. #15
    Deregistered wootsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Small Island
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations

    Basically F stop number is focus distance / diameter of aperture

    This math works in a way which if you increase a stop, the diameter of the aperture doubles and more light enters.
    Example f1.4 - F2.0

    This is also the reason why photographer uses stop for exposure. Increase 1 stop of light means double the amount of light.

  16. #16
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Need help on f-stop calculations

    To put it in a physical context, everytime you go UP a stop, you are letting in twice as much light (with regards to aperture or shutter speed).
    That is, you are opening the shutter twice as long (1/30s --> 1/15s) or doubling the size of the aperture (f/2 --> f/2.8)

    ahhh, but why 2 --> 2.8? Shouldn't it be 4?

    the formula for area of a circle is PI - r squared. [secondary, or was it primary school maths?]
    Multiply PI x 2(squared) vs PI x 2.8(squared) and one result is double the other.

    So the diameter (or radius, no difference in this context) of the circle increases by a multiple of approximately 1.4, but the area of the circle doubles.

    hope that helps.
    Exploring! :)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •