Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Premium Photographer at $18 or $28 an hour part II

Default Re: Premium Photographer at $18 or $28 an hour part II

Quote Originally Posted by kongping View Post
    Precisely, I don't, hence the quotation marks.

Anyone who is free enough to respond to this thread... I am doubtful that they are professionals.
    I'm very "eng" to post in this thread, so I'm not a professional...
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by ZHAOZHAO82 View Post
    Just happened to receive this interestnig link from my friend. A so-called "professional" create another new thread to slam newbies.
    He is not wrong by charging at lower range price.

By comparing these 2 website:

http://www.kelvinkhoophotography.com...um=1&gallery=5
    http://hongrayphotography.webs.com/charges.htm

Of course i will choose the newbie. As a customer, we will choose the photograher based on their skill and price. If you wan to charge a higher price and call yourself "pro", u at least must increase your skill and website first.
    I agree. If I am a dump, dump customer who do not know the difference between 1DS MKIII & 1000D, when I see both web site, I will choose HongRay. His web site presentation and photo is not bad and more pro like as compare to the other. He is cheap & good also. Singaporean Love cheap, cheap & cheap.

He has just started & he is young. He will slowly know & learn he need to charge more to pay for bill, insurance, studio, food, housing & etc.. He is still a student trying to make a living staying with his parents. All of us, start from there once. With the WWW, our pricings, pictures & ourselves becomes more transparent. Thus, open to attack by people with red eye.

hmmm... interesting.. sure beats my 50 dollar per street photo idea I had.

Heh. Still cannot beat my offer lah. I willing to shoot for free*.

But seriously, don't worry so much lah. The fella just starting out, why are people so threatened? Different market segment.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Just happened to receive this interestnig link from my friend. A so-called "professional" create another new thread to slam newbies.

Of course i will choose the newbie. As a customer, we will choose the photograher based on their skill and price. If you wan to charge a higher price and call yourself "pro", u at least must increase your skill and website first.
    Hmmm,..... tough call,....

Let me think......

and think.......

and think.......

Ok, decided, go for cheap and reasonably ok one

Ok, joke aside, seriously, now I can feel why TS is so threaten by Hong Ray.

To Hong Ray, I am sure you are reading this, hence your recent adjustment to your pricing, do not feel inferior to post your defense, there are good brothers here who fully understands your standing. It's true your pricing will not get you far if you want to make a profession out of it.

TS is right when he pointed out all those cost involve for a photo business to work. And since you are a student, you can afford to dispense with those 'extras' hidden cost, you merely use your free time to do up the photos, which is completely fine.

Use this thread and site as a learning source, use your free time to learn from the people here, there are tonnes of great photos here to learn from. Get your basics right first, a camera is just a tool, only when you have acquired the eye to shoot creatively, then you are limited by your equipment. Only at that point, equipment plays a significant role, pushing your photography skill to the next level.

A camera's ability is limited, even top end ones, but your creativity is not.

Quote Originally Posted by kelvinkhoo View Post
    Hi guy, check this out: http://hongrayphotography.webs.com/charges.htm

He has increase his rate from

Company event: 20SGD to 28 SGD

Pte event: 15SGD to 18 SGD

[SIZE="4"]Instead of asking people Increase their price, why not you reduce your price,because your Photo Quality seem like not tally with your pricing

So many "professionals" has just generated so much free publicity for someone starting out in the business.. wow.. such a generous act..

As a someone new in the business, the rates charge is more of "token" sum to cover transport rather than "payment". the real objective is probably to get opportunities to gain experience and build up the portfolio.

It's a bonus that someone is so kind to generate so much free publicity. And as it turns out, someone else actually provided links that show not much different in the quality of goods that is so much different in costs. ++ to publicity for newcomer.

With that much publicity, probably quite soon the portfolio gets to expand significantly, and experience ++ with the many opportunities to shoot real weddings.. and then the charges will fall in line with market rates.. and a new competitor to the "professionals" matures..

Thanks to many kind "professionals" who have bought to the attention of the public of the "budget premium photography" service, with implicit acknowledgment that the rates charged are very "low"(attractive). Probably some potential client would not have came across the service provider if not for the publicity? With the comparision provided that kinda show that "cheaper can be as good, if not better, than more expensive", the potential customer is even more motivated in the search for cheap and good Photography services.
    Last edited by Limsgp; 26th June 2009 at 01:33 PM.

i like this http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2176/...e4f62f.jpg?v=0 cannot post the pic coz of copyright things.

aiyo... pls lor.. if people go for cheapskate stuffs, let them be... Free one also will have...

ppl do services for low price, and u all bei song... if he can charge a low price, ppl are satisfied with his services and he is able to make a profit, it means he has a higher capability to create value for customers than all of u guys here!

well, if all of u here charge high prices but yet able to offer superior services, you wont have to worry abt him charging low, because ur quality is there and ppl who want ur superior services will come back to you. Those of u here who should worry are those who produce junk that are worst than him but yet charge such a "high class" price.

Put it simply, ppl who should be scared are those that u have "been charging too high and offering low value!"

This is a free market out here, if u cant beat him or win him, then follow him or exit the business. the market need ppl like him to bring cost down to the equilibrium position, and shift the hitherto huge selfish supplier surplus to us ordinary consumer.

He is just like "China" while the rest of u here are just like the "European countries". I still clearly remember so many countries complaining abt china prices but yet in the end how? They cant win china and thus they all shift their manufacturing to china instead and join china.

This guy over here is going to be a pioneer(China) that is going to eat up all of you like a big shark IF you dun have the capability to offer value better than him!
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

haha ok now i know why kelvinkhoo is kicking up such a big fuss...photos same same but price different.

what if a newbie like me is charging $1,200 per hour? will the "pros" make noise and say i am stealing their top-end clients?
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Quote Originally Posted by kelvinkhoo View Post
    Hi guy, check this out: http://hongrayphotography.webs.com/charges.htm

He has increase his rate from

Company event: 20SGD to 28 SGD

Pte event: 15SGD to 18 SGD

That's the wonderful thing about the free market. You can charge as high or as low as you want. The customer will pay for the highest quality he can afford. So if you charge high prices for your equally high quality services and deliverables, you will find a market. I therefore don't see what you are complaining about. Unless of course, the prices you are charging do not commensurate with the quality of your services and deliverables. You can either lower your prices or improve the quality your services & deliverables. That is the reality of the free market.

If he is really able to capture all the impt moments with his camera & skills.

Then he is the most valued for money here, when that happens many people will be hiring his service then by the time he would have raise his fees and get better equipment. He's probably trying to get more exposure to different types of events and ocasions.

This is the Digital Age, anyone would become a freelance photographer easily as long as they have a passion for taking good pics. You already see many on the streets with a beginner DSLR ard their neck like a fasion accessories. So be prepare for more competition along the way.
    I'm looking at a different perpective of life.

Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    haha ok now i know why kelvinkhoo is kicking up such a big fuss...photos same same but price different.

what if a newbie like me is charging $1,200 per hour? will the "pros" make noise and say i am stealing their top-end clients?
    I am really wonder why this fellow member kelvinkhoo is still NOT giving this young chap a chance to earn S$15.00 per hour?
    He has increased his price, and KK created another thread to gun him down.

Firstly, I am not a professional PG but has shot several wedding and ROMs.
    I hate to be blunt, rude or even an ar**hole.

I have just visited kelvinkhoo's website.

I am totally not impressed with his photos in this gallery.
    If these photos are taken by his 1Ds MkIII, and 3 expensive L lens, I think you are not doing justice to the equipments.

I know I will get flamed in a few minutes time.
    So be it. Please do not think too highly of yourself with your higher rates, 1DsMKIII and L lens.

Live and let live.
    Let the young schoolboy earn his $15 per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by grainpixel View Post
    I am really wonder why this fellow member kelvinkhoo is still NOT giving this young chap a chance to earn S$15.00 per hour?
    He has increased his price, and KK created another thread to gun him down.

Firstly, I am not a professional PG but has shot several wedding and ROMs.
    I hate to be blunt, rude or even an ar**hole.

I have just visited kelvinkhoo's website.

I am totally not impressed with his photos in this gallery.
    If these photos are taken by his 1Ds MkIII, and 3 expensive L lens, I think you are not doing justice to the equipments.

I know I will get flamed in a few minutes time.
    So be it. Please do not think too highly of yourself with your higher rates, 1DsMKIII and L lens.

Live and let live.
    Let the young schoolboy earn his $15 per hour.
    dont worry i will be backing you.I really wonder why the pros are really kicking a fuss.I think they know their standard same as him but he can go lower.Life is like that.Its the matter of survival.The strongest will still survive.

That's a very naughty thing to do, Kelvin Khoo

While personally, I'm against Hongray's low rates, I don't go and start a thread just to slam him.
    It's a free market, yo! And I respect his right to charge as he pleases.
    Last edited by Daedalus Trent; 26th June 2009 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    That's a very naughty thing to do, Kelvin Khoo

While personally, I'm against Hongray's low rates, I don't go and start a thread just to slam him.
    It's a free market, yo! And I respect his right to charge as he pleases.
    yes correct, he can do whatever he wants.

sooner or later he will increase his rates, be it no job or many jobs. cos the rates he charges cannot cover him at all.

i also dun agreed the rates he charges.

just to add, if charge low dun come to CS and post loud loud, as many will charge u.

wow another thread. I thought we settled this. Kelvin have to look at his own photos and compare. truth to be told, i did go for Ray's works. Attitude is more impt than raw skills or a big mouth!
    picture perfect

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    just to add, if charge low dun come to CS and post loud loud, as many will charge u.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast