Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pentax introduces Optio W80 rugged camera

Default Re: Pentax introduces Optio W80 rugged camera

Quote Originally Posted by dnaxe View Post
    No warranty repair?
    they exchanged it to another olympus model..also water n shock proof..the thing is that its not my cam..lol..but even though they exchange the cam 2 times so far, its not a really good idea to go over to exchange the cam everything it touches water..so jus looking in to pentax..haha..anyone has any idea where to buy the w60 or w80?

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    so has anyone reviewed it in salt water?
    you could have asked Dino when he was here in Singapore. He used the W60 too.

http://surfdoc.blogspot.com/2009/02/...everyones.html

Maybe next time he is here? Or you can contact him on his blog.
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

Quote Originally Posted by starocker View Post
    they exchanged it to another olympus model..also water n shock proof..the thing is that its not my cam..lol..but even though they exchange the cam 2 times so far, its not a really good idea to go over to exchange the cam everything it touches water..so jus looking in to pentax..haha..anyone has any idea where to buy the w60 or w80?
    Saw the W60 in Best Denki at Vivocity on Friday. Selling at $499.

took these earlier this year at the Aviva 70.3 Ironman with the W60

Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    Saw the W60 in Best Denki at Vivocity on Friday. Selling at $499.
    ok..thx=) will drop by to have a look..

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind View Post
    took these earlier this year at the Aviva 70.3 Ironman with the W60

at least i can see that it works in sea water..LOL..

W80 scored worse than the W60 in dpreview testing:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209...oup/page17.asp

Quote Originally Posted by dnaxe View Post
    W80 scored worse than the W60 in dpreview testing:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209...oup/page17.asp
    I am actually surprise that the W80 image quality is worse than W60, probably that is due to the change of sensor to 12MP. Don't think anyone really need more than 10MP for these kind of pns. Anyway, I've the W60 for almost a year already, and I would say its a pretty decent waterproof pns camera. The parnoma mode in-camera auto stitch is really useful so as to get parmona picture straight out from camera. A handy camera packed with lot of features. There is also a mic mode where it double up as a voice recorder.

Recently, I use the W60 for a trekking and snorkelling trip. When comparing image to another oly waterproof camera. I found that W60 can control flare pretty well too. And certainly give a better image quality than the other. There are a few things I hope it could have improved. The shutter lag, a higher pixel count LCD playback screen. Anyway, its a only a pns...

cheerss...

Quote Originally Posted by seafone View Post
    I am actually surprise that the W80 image quality is worse than W60, probably that is due to the change of sensor to 12MP. Don't think anyone really need more than 10MP for these kind of pns. Anyway, I've the W60 for almost a year already, and I would say its a pretty decent waterproof pns camera. The parnoma mode in-camera auto stitch is really useful so as to get parmona picture straight out from camera. A handy camera packed with lot of features. There is also a mic mode where it double up as a voice recorder.

Recently, I use the W60 for a trekking and snorkelling trip. When comparing image to another oly waterproof camera. I found that W60 can control flare pretty well too. And certainly give a better image quality than the other. There are a few things I hope it could have improved. The shutter lag, a higher pixel count LCD playback screen. Anyway, its a only a pns...

cheerss...

sounds good..BEST Denki quoted me $299 for W60..is it worth the buy?i think so leh..haha..kinda itchy to buy..lol..

this is NOT a camera review

Water-proof, Dust-proof, Cold-proof & Shock-proof? Casio G-shock watches? No la silly but you will be forgiven if you really thought soÖ but people like me donít really need to know the time; I donít even need the calendar! Constant busy schedules run me 24/7.

There are some things you should never mix with water, such as electricity or my heavily gelled- hair. Another is your digital camera, unless it happens to be a Pentax Optio W80.

Okay, letís go back to all the Ďproofsí. The Pentax Optio W80 is a waterproof, cold proof, dustproof and shockproof camera. It is not only resistant to water spills and rain but this digital camera can be safely taken on my underwater diving or snorkeling trips (but first, let me find a Diving school that would want to teach meÖ) or perhaps, I should just stick to swimming for a while. But Iím telling you, once you get wet with this cam, you would want to go deeperÖ Diving that is.

The Optio W80 is designed to withstand water pressure up to a depth of five meters or sixteen feet andÖ You can shoot videos for up to two hours, at this depth below sea level! OrÖ it can also tolerate drops up to 1 metre /3.3 feet on dry ground. Not that Iím clumsy or wanting to challenge itsí claim but I did drop a camera & it is an SLR! Right off my neck after I ACCIDENTALLY release the quick-release fastener on the Op-Tech camera strap. Iím not sure what happened to the camera for I didnít get to see it after it looms smaller & smaller & smaller from my view & into the valley of Grand Canyon. Itís a Z1Ö I have developed a sever abnormality ever since, whenever an Op-Tech is sighted, it will be serving my Swiss-Army knife.

Okay, allow me to come clean with all. The reason that Iím talking about the Optio is with its striking resemblance of my Fender Stratocaster flight case. And Iím not just talking; Iím a wanting it!!! It is a camera that is and has graduated from the school of hard knocks. But ďis it any good?Ē

At 12 MP & with a zoom range of 28mm~140mm that falls comfortably within my usual photographic perspective. Offers lots of features that I will probably ignore but hey! Thatís because it has a Manual over-ride & more attractivelyÖ itís possible for picture taking at -10ļC & in water-infested location. And hereís more, to protect from water, dirt and finger marks, the internal zoom lens of the camera is protected by a mineral crystal cover with a Super Protect coating. Why do I even think that this is important? Thatís because at Super-macro mode, Iím going to shove the Optio 1cm close to my subject. Hey Buddy! 1cm or 10mm or lesser than half of an inchÖ

Anything on the negative side? Sure Iím sure & Iím sure there are. But thank God my competent photographic skill is good enough to see me thruíÖ And is this a product review? Sure it is notÖ Iím just an end-user that happens to be constantly on the look-out for that perfect tool. WellÖ the Pentax Optio W80? Pretty close as it allows me to do 50% of the work & claims credit for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12