Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shop that allows trying of lens w/o obligation to buy

Default Re: shop that allows trying of lens w/o obligation to buy

Quote Originally Posted by longkangman View Post
    I am evil I bring along the notebook to view the output in 100%
    Guess you are no the only evil one here... I did that too when i bought my Tamron 17-50~!

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    You can try MS Color as well, but try to deal with only Florence or Sharon. See the guy in the Sony Alpha tee? Don't go near him.
    why? he will eat you up?

If you want to test lens w/o obligations, i guess JO3:16 is the shop to go to. That time i went in an enquire about 50mm f/1.8, they had no stock but Samuel readily let me try the f/1.4 version with no strings attached! That certainly left a good impression of the shop in me.

But the downside is that when you buy there, be mentally prepared yours might be a 'heavily' tested set?

but usually if the shop is willing to give 1:1 exchange during the first 7-days of purchase if there are any worksmanship defects, then i think it should be fine.. but nonetheless, we should try it on the spot to see if there are any cosmetic defects to avoid any disputes later..

not like lenses have a chip inside that counts how many shutter counts its been used we can easily see.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    But the downside is that when you buy there, be mentally prepared yours might be a 'heavily' tested set?
    can't agree more. it works both ways. a overly customer friendly shop will mean the lens there are most probably already heavily tested.

Anyway, you can always ask in a polite manner when will the shop order new batch of lens and just be there when the stock arrives so you know the lens you're gonna test/buy is really a MINT copy!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    For those of you who test lenses like a Canon technician: Bring me all you have, and snap snap snap. How detailed do you do it? Near, far focusing, test AF speed, IS, etc etc?
    There is a sticky thread about testing 2nd hand lenses. Can be used for 1st hand as well.

Does that mean, it is possible those lenses which are to be sold in the shop have possibly been "groped" by many people? And it is possible some poor chap will end up buying a less than desirable lens? Because I doubt the shop will return the unsold lenses to Canon right, saying, "My customers say this batch of lenses cannot make it."
    Guess how many people have touched the items that you have bought later? What kind of illusion is it to believe that a lens must not be touched at all to be a good lens? Some people also try because they want to feel the weight of the lens, handling etc. Will that in any way degrade the quality and lifespan of the lens? Next: some lenses might be rejected by people who a) are not able to perform proper focus tests and come to wrong conclusions or b) have some focus / calibration issues that will lead to wrong conclusions. But using the lens at your camera might work flawless. As long as people handle the lenses properly during their trial sessions there is no reason for being picky.

In any case, how much difference in sharpness or whatever you're testing, do you find between different copies of the same type of lens? A case of poor Canon QC before the lenses leave the factory or... just pure paranoia from customer's point of view?
    There is no way to check every lens when it leaves the factory. All they do is taking samples. By means of statistics they can conclude the overall compliance of lenses to quality standards, the amount of lenses that might be faulty and the probability of a faulty lens being put on shelf. Don't be too hasty calling that "poor".

Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    If you want to test lens w/o obligations, i guess JO3:16 is the shop to go to. That time i went in an enquire about 50mm f/1.8, they had no stock but Samuel readily let me try the f/1.4 version with no strings attached! That certainly left a good impression of the shop in me.

Yah, you got a good point there.
    If you buy from a company that readily allows testing, then you must be prepared to expect a 'tested' lens when you finally make your payment.
    Of course, I believe some of the high-volume shops may have one of each type of lens for testing purpose. But that may mean that ultimately they either sell this cheaply, or sell it to some unsuspecting customer new to photography at usual price. Because you can imagine the capital cost of just bringing out, say, a EF 16-35 ($4000) just as a sample set!

Doesn't 16-35 cost around 2k?
    why? he will eat you up?
    Haha. No, but take a look at his face once you've tried the lens without any intention to buy it.

of course you're welcomed to try it w/o obligations

but don't take advantage of ppl

this guy was a D40 user, not that i was looking down on him

will he buy 5 lenses at once?

he tried 9 lenses and 3 bodies at John 3:16

even if samuel wasn't angry, i was.

so just try what you need, and i'm sure he will be happy to help you
    Pentax K-x

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Doesn't 16-35 cost around 2k?

Haha. No, but take a look at his face once you've tried the lens without any intention to buy it.
    Yah yah... Sorry, my mistake.
    MY fingers typed 16-35 but my mind was thinking about the Wide angle 14mm. This 14mm is the one that's $4k.
    My apologies!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12