Thread: Famous Chinese Photographers, their pic & style

Default Famous Chinese Photographers, their pic & style

saw this site.

from my understanding, some of them are Chinese equivalent of Henri and Ansel. but due to various reasons, we are not familiar w them.

do check out their pictures and perhaps we can discuss their styles relative to what we are more accustomed to.

http://www.fotocn.org/photo/browse.do?method=gindex

Default Re: Famous Chinese Photographers, their pic & style

Thanks for sharing.

Photography has many meaning to many people. Some say, 'its the moment that matters', plus composition, plus colors, etc, etc. With the emergence of Digitial Photography to today's society, every one is a 'Photographer' or a GWC. So, in this new era, what really is a 'Photographer'?

I have also raised a question: Are photographers a Technician (press the shutter and being there?) or a Art Director?

In addition, the even more important question, do clients/ people/ yr relatives/ your neighbours treat photographers as a Technician or a Art Director?
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

OT: link title reads China Top Photographer

you title "Chinese Photographers" can mean singaporean chinese, malaysian chinese, etc
    eat. drink. shoot

Thanks TS for good post...

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    OT: link title reads China Top Photographer

you title "Chinese Photographers" can mean singaporean chinese, malaysian chinese, etc
    You are rite. i should ve choosen a better title.

the more common critics about China photographers and their pic are

1. highly staged (sometimes looking too perfect).

2. lots of PP (darkroom and now, PS). i tink the main reason is their strong influence by chinese painting, wanting to make their pics look like one (painting). another reason being some of them built their reputation from photo salons/competitions. such events usually require pics that are catching (bold colors, high contrast, pretty faces, 'abnormal' perspective... ...)

3. politically influenced. but then, photographs are v much propaganda, regardless of nationality.

4. idol worship. maybe some of the grand-old-man are not v good photographers. but due to reasons other than artistic talent, they are highly revered.

technically, China photographers are v good. but i am still not used very "used" to their style, mainly cus i am very much exposed to pics taken by "ang moh".