Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Premium Photographer at $15 or $20 an hour

Default Re: Premium Photographer at $15 or $20 an hour

just like budget and premium photoshoots, it's just a matter of supply and demand. Each catering for different clientele. If you want budget, dun expect quality, pay premium you get quality. There's still ppl out there who require budget photography services in times like this. All the bros in the industry who have solid portfolio shouldn't get so worked up by a kid earning some pocket money right? Targeting a different market altogether... Chill people!

i think you guys just give this poor boy a break. I guess being a student myself he just wanna earn some pocket money. He will learn in time so lets not ruin this poor boy's passion. =) make love not war !!!

to TS i think you made you point. Maybe you should pm him and advise him or talk with him over coffee to let him learn the ropes better. He probably kenna stun. 4hours ago post, 1 hr later kenna slam
    picture perfect

I can't understand how a professional photographer will feel threatened under such circumstances, unless you think that your standard is on par with him and he is a real threat to your existing/potential clients.

He is clearly just a student trying to build up a decent portfolio,while earning some money to purchase more gear. Haven't we all been through something similar as well?

Let's just cut him some slack here, and not use this chance to make fun of his equipments or his choice of words in his bio. I'm sure he will try his best to revise his current charges after reading all these.

Since the objective of this thread has been made, I suggest the mods to close this thread to prevent further slammming.
    Last edited by alvintang; 26th June 2009 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post
    Well no, because an organiser is definately not going to find sufficient models who will do a shoot at that type of budget rate.
    If i were to be a shoot organizer, i will kick myself in the butt and find even better models than my competition at $5 per shoot and serving photogs drinks during breaks! haha Just joking... But seriously, i will find ways to value add to my current shoots to maintain my clientele.... I believe that competition will definitely spur innovation...

Smile Re: Premium Photographer at $15 or $20 an hour

My views really.....

A photographer can bill whatever he wants to bill.. Professional or not counts as long as his job depends on it... and if he's billing cheap... he wouldn't last long enough to be a treat in the industry unless his overheads allow him to charge that sorta prices..

So why bother to comment on another person's rates and make it feel it affects the market... simply because it doesnt... If he knows the (business) of photography ... charging this pricing will get him nowhere.. and hey presto.. your competition will be gone sooner than you can PP your next assignment..

So yeah... I didnt think it's a big matter really...

Well that's said.. i dont know this guy.. nor do I charge those prices either.. i just felt professional photographers shouldnt use price point as a competitive edge.. since once u lower your price.. someone else will be lower than you before your next trigger.

Live with competition.. but any full time photographer wanting to go into this business in singapore should know we're ranked tops in terms of standard of living... and cheap pricing will get u jobs.. but won't give u a career...

haha.. I'm neutral .. Give the fella a break

Ejun
    Last edited by ejunlow; 26th June 2009 at 01:34 AM.
    EJUNLOW.com . Like my work on FACEBOOK

Well, I guess paid professionals could hire this kid as a wing.

Lol @ the last line of his intro page.

Smile Re: Premium Photographer at $15 or $20 an hour

And oh.... his works arent all that bad really ... I mean ... once he gets a few assignments.. what's stopping him from increasing his prices ten-fold...

"Never judge a man's motives unless you are the man himself"

With his (youth) and calibre(now).... one day he MIGHT overtake you in terms of billing.. and then will you consider lowering your prices??
    If those images are taken with 1000D with standard "average" lenses... then i know MANY "pros" out there using 1Ds and "L"s that can be brought to shame...

Time for pros to be doing something about the business on hand rather than worry about another man's meals... I'm not a Professional btw... I'm stating what i feel from being in the local business...

Last edited by ejunlow; 26th June 2009 at 01:49 AM.
    EJUNLOW.com . Like my work on FACEBOOK

Quote Originally Posted by ejunlow View Post
    And oh.... his works arent all that bad really ... I mean ... once he gets a few assignments.. what's stopping him from increasing his prices ten-fold...

Time for pros to be doing something about the business on hand rather than worry about another man's meals... I'm not a Professional btw... I'm stating what i feel from being in the local business...

well said
    picture perfect

Quote Originally Posted by ejunlow View Post

With his calibre.... one day he MIGHT overtake you in terms of billing.. and then will you consider lowering your prices??
    If those images are taken with 1000D with standard "average" lenses... then i know MANY "pros" out there using 1Ds and "L"s that can be brought to shame...

no wonder he is being accused of spoiling the market.

The only reason why any other professional photographer here would feel threatened by this young guy for their jobs is if those photographers are jealous of his work. With that portfolio, the rates he is charging may buy the customer over but the pull factor is the quality of service that he will provide to the consumer. And this will be little to very low quality involving no creativity at all just really textbook photos in that portfolio.

There is no need to kick up such a fuss. In terms of marketing, he is really penetrating the market in his pricing strategy and in other business this is completely acceptable. But in the end, if you have faith in the level of photography that you present in your portfolio you shouldnt be worrying about this.
    You'd start worrying about the big guys out there in the industry. If they all of a sudden started charging very little and they are controlling more or the market share then the customer's will believe this is the asking price for a professional photographer and go by that price.
    When D-SLR's had started getting more and more affordable this was going to always be a threat, when you can buy a basic kit for under 1500$ and is very easy to use there will be many contenders out there.

Ahh should've stopped after the first paragraph, but school holidays are quite boring !

Quote Originally Posted by kelvinkhoo View Post
    He is killing our industy and by than we (professional photographer) main dough is from clients who is paying dollars and cents to us for our livehood if he want to earn pocket money, he can choose to go mcdonalds and work which he can learn things that he have not learn before.......
    I think you are killing 'your' industry with your high and mighty attitude. Learn some humility, this kid has oodles to spare. He knows he's a beginner, so is willing to lower his rates so that he will get hired and get more practice while doing something he loves. Meanwhile, you sit on your ivory tower and think you are gods gift to the world wondering why you're not getting jobs (or should I say, you 'THINK' you're not getting jobs because this guy is 'stealing' your work. Little do you realise that no one wants to hire you because you deem yourself superior to everyone else. I bet you talk down to your customers too.

Quote Originally Posted by vulturakenster View Post
    These are objective and encouraging words... Perhaps more could view the situation in a way you did.
    I agree with vulturakenster and yeow ming...

TS i think it's time to close this thread, why not lets give ray a break?

Quote Originally Posted by mo2 View Post
    Much Said & Thks for the support of like minded professionals observing how our industry can head south if any amateur buying a camera claims professionalism because he owns one.

Think i can breath better now knowing some 'old birds' will stand out to protect our industry.

That said, i think we shld simmer down as point is made... Thks again ...
    GUYS !! GUYS !! HE IS NOT A THREAT I AGREE !! I NVR FELT HE WAS !!

The purpose of this thread is to express displeasure on how an individual regardless of age or experience should degrade our profession by charging peanuts without truely knowing the mechanics or costs involved in the business.

HE IS NEVER A THREAT IF WE ARE GOOD ENOUGH OURSELVES & MAKE A STAND PERTAINING HOW WE VALUE OUR WORK THUS ABLE TO CHARGE WHAT WE ASK FOR.

I dont want any more bickering here as it's now abit overboard ...

It's been an interesting read ........ Good Night & go back to sleep ...

CHEERS & ALL THE BEST TO COMRADES IN ARMS ...

THREAD CLOSED !!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234