Thread: cable tv : Singtel vs Starhub

Default cable tv : Singtel vs Starhub

got this free mio tv thingy free for one month when I convert to mio home plan.

the freebie covers the chinese / korean movie channels / tv shows (variety shows, series etc) kids channel etc. I love taiwanese variety shows like jackie wu's. disappointed singtel does not have them. the chinese movies are very old typically - last night saw alan tam + andy lau and they look young (early 30-ish to me).

I presume this is the same content if I pick up a 12month contract on the chinese shows.

Is Starhub cable chinese shows better? any issue ifI have starhub cable + singtel bb at one premises (one is coaxial, while singtel is phone line copper, presume no issue). just wondering.

Default Re: cable tv : Singtel vs Starhub

I have been Starhub cable TV subscriber for many years, and my family do watch a lot of chinese entertainment/variety show programs. I also had the Mio TV for about 6 months last year on a free trial basis. I feel that the contents available in Mio TV are just not worth subscribing for. At the moment. there are more contents available in Starhub cable compared to Mio TV. Also Starhub do have a few good kids channel like Disney channel and Playhouse Disney, in which both my kids are absolutely hooked on.

There is no problems having both Mio TV and Starhub cable together as they both run on different medium. But as you would have guess, I don't feel it is worth subscribing to Mio TV as there isn't much channels that I am interested in. But your taste may vary. If you can afford, just subscribe to both, and decide if you still want to keep both or cancel 1 a few months later.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

I'm a user of both scv and mioTV... on comparision, i would say scv's strength is in the channel variety and miotv strength will be ppv especially US dramas... however singtel has a stupid price planning system which is more rigid than scv's. I suscribed to the old supersaver plan and when they split the supersave plan into 3 categories, i called them up to migrate to the new plan but they said NO because every subscription has 1 year contract. This is really stupid because it penalises users who sign up earlier and the price plans are exact same price albeit the old plan has a less attractive mix of channels. Still pursuing this matter with them but so far no reply... Got time will go disturb their customer service again.

In a way, I find SH show is more promising then Mio. Mio took whatever SH throw out.

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post

There is no problems having both Mio TV and Starhub cable together as they both run on different medium. But as you would have guess, I don't feel it is worth subscribing to Mio TV as there isn't much channels that I am interested in. But your taste may vary. If you can afford, just subscribe to both, and decide if you still want to keep both or cancel 1 a few months later.
    I don't see any chance I'd want to subscribe to Mio TV or any of the packages.
    The monthly movie from Mio Home is free so its ok but I have to make sure no one is accidentally watches the pay per view movie/tv shows in my house!

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorMcLeod View Post
    I don't see any chance I'd want to subscribe to Mio TV or any of the packages.
    The monthly movie from Mio Home is free so its ok but I have to make sure no one is accidentally watches the pay per view movie/tv shows in my house!
    The only reason why I took up the free trial of the Mio TV is to see Channel 5 HD. Now it doesn't matter as Starhub now has the Hubstation HD.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

The main highligh between them:
    Singtel Mio: If I'm not wrong, American Dramas will be should on Mio within 24hrs after US broadcast it. Suitable for those who love American dramas.

Starhub: TVB dramas (but no canto), Sports and movie channels. Suitable for sports and TVB drama lovers. Most movies are old but new movies only telecast on weekends..

It's up to you to decide which is better.

When I came back from my overseas posting, I was deciding between Starhub and MIO. I would have opted for Starhub other than my house isn't cabled for Stahub and I would have to engage a contractor to hack my driveway to cable Starhub into my house. Not wanting to spend so much money, I decided to try MIO.

That's the biggest regret. The signal is unstable and each time after a heavy thunderstorm, I get cut-off. The programs are also not my cup of tea - all 2nd rated channels unlike Starhub. Now, I use it to watch Channel 5 on HD. I am waiting for the 1-year to be up, upon which I will terminate and spend the money to get Starhub cabled into my house.

In short, my gripe with MIO is (1) unstable signal and (2) 2nd rate channels. Should've just gotten Starhub in the first place.

why you think singtel had to grab champions league soccer? even then i wun be subscribing to mio.