View Poll Results: Is Tuition Absolutely Necessary?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 38.89%
  • No

22 61.11%

Thread: --- Tuition

Default --- Tuition

Is tuition absolutely necessary?

If so, does that mean the school is either not teaching enough or teaching quality is not good enough?

In my days, I'd never had any tuition and I still get good grades.

What is happening?

Default Re: --- Tuition

Some students need extra guidance (aka ppl to nag at) which the school can't provide or the parents are unable to teach the subjects. Its good for certain students. I teach tuition part time and i see that some students really need an extra dose of helping thru tuition.

Personally, I have no tuition when i was growing up cause I was able to cope.
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

yes, please support the tutors financially.

without ppl like me, alot of undergrads will be struggling financially then...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Sometimes, the teachers in school just aren't good. Like my math teacher. Ugh.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Its in the mindset. Some children do take tuition more seriously as they can see the money being spent, the payment of school fees are not that visible to them.

Also given smaller groups to teach and only teaching as a responsiblity, mainstream teachers will definately struggle less.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post

If so, does that mean the school is either not teaching enough or teaching quality is not good enough?

What is happening?

well, parents hope their child will get better grades..

Actually, sometimes, the level of commitment of some school teachers can be questionable..

Previously I have had students from some neighborhood school. When I asked if they have any questions from their homework or whether there is anything that they don't understand regarding their homework, they say the teacher never give them homework!

If the teacher NEVER give student homework, how can they access whether the student can apply what was taught, and whether they understand what was covered in the lessons?

What I can infer is that no homework = no need to mark assignments = less work.

Hence, if the school teachers are not committed, additional help in the form of tuition maybe necessary.

Of course there are also very committed teachers who does gives homework frequently, and take the effort to mark them diligently. In most case, by checking the students study materials and assignments, its quite easy to judge how committed the teachers are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post

What is happening?

yes! It helped me through my university days...
    but seriously, it really depends on the kid.. tuition with a kid with the right attitude really does wonders...

Yes, especially when both parents are working. look at the standard of the primary level. wow, when i saw it. those they are learning in primary school we only learn them in secondary school.
    tuition are sometimes act as extra guidance apart from parents and school.

Blog Entries

the politics in schools are really bad
    so much so that some of the school teachers are more into scoring points than teaching

but on the other hand i do understand them, it is a job of passion

I have had tuition for all my academic life when I was in Singapore.

it isn't because I do not have the passion to make sure I do the homework given to me by the teachers in school.

it isn't because I do not have the brains to understand what was being taught in school (okay that is debatable but let's just assume that I do have brains!)

it simply is because the tutors that I've had were able to explain the theories much better, in a less rigid way, and were also able to inculcate other elements that made it more realistic (ie, more real world-ish). also, most if not all of them were able to make the subject seem more lively than it was (especially maths, since I had atrocious maths teachers in school).

if you were able to cope without tuition, good for you. if not, I feel there's nothing to be ashamed of.
    chicken fight!

There's a running joke in the profession:

If student fail, is because class teacher no good.
    If student do well, is because tuition teacher very good.

From a teacher's perspective:
    Do something well, nobody remembers.
    Do something poorly, nobody forgets...
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

i can safely say at least 75% of the teachers i know are teachers because they don't know what else to do. some of my friends are teachers, and when asked why, the usual answer is "if not do what? sign on meh?"

some of the most **** people i know are teachers.

still, i take my hat off to the 25% who dedicate their lives to making someone else's better, and thank them for what they have done for me.
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    i can safely say at least 75% of the teachers i know are teachers because they don't know what else to do. some of my friends are teachers, and when asked why, the usual answer is "if not do what? sign on meh?"

some of the most **** people i know are teachers.

still, i take my hat off to the 25% who dedicate their lives to making someone else's better, and thank them for what they have done for me.
    there's a joke that goes.

those who can, do
    those who can't, teach.
    chicken fight!

That applies to all professions.. isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    There's a running joke in the profession:

Do something well, nobody remembers.
    Do something poorly, nobody forgets...
    Last edited by Limsgp; 5th July 2009 at 06:54 PM.

i feel that tutors (im talking about 1-1 tuition tutors) can be useful because:

1. they teach at your speed.
    2. they can work at your weak areas
    3. they may teach shortcuts that your school teacher refuses to teach because "it is not in the syllabus". seriously, sometimes some trick methods are so much easier to comprehend than the old textbook methods. even if you dont want to use the method as your proper working, u can always use it as an alternative method to check your answer or as a way out in cases that your textbook methods dont work.

of course there are more benefits just that i am lazy to list them all

Quote Originally Posted by sheree View Post
    3. they may teach shortcuts that your school teacher refuses to teach because "it is not in the syllabus". seriously, sometimes some trick methods are so much easier to comprehend than the old textbook methods. even if you dont want to use the method as your proper working, u can always use it as an alternative method to check your answer or as a way out in cases that your textbook methods dont work.
    agreed.

I feel MOE teachers have to toe the line between strictly teaching what's stipulated, and introducing new material, or doing so in a different dimension. unfortunately, the ones I have encountered in my academic life back in Singapore has belonged to the former. I just hope that some people are more open to the idea of teaching/encouraging new trains of thought and approaches to any problem.
    chicken fight!