Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does the number of shots of a camera matter?

Default Re: Does the number of shots of a camera matter?

I bought the 5D Mark-II just to put it on my display shelf. :sweat

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    I read in one of the forums someone was mentioning that it's difficult to find a second hand camera (5dmkII) that hasn't been fired for less than 20,000 shots (or something to that effect).

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    Don't worry, the shutter mechanism replacement will cost between $50-200 depends on models. If you can afford a 5D2, then $200 is a fair amount to pay to replace the shutter mechanism.

If you are not a professional shooting events all the time, I would say you will have a hard time shooting 1000 shots/week consistently. That will take you around 3 years to reach the 150,000 mark. And even if you reach that count, it doesn't mean that the shutter mechanism will stop functioning.
    Yes, you're too right.
    Think I was too paranoid when I recently and suddenly realised the shutter could die on me when I hit the 150k kilometre mark! But you guys have been nothing but reassuring.
    Would keep on shooting then.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    I read in one of the forums someone was mentioning that it's difficult to find a second hand camera (5dmkII) that hasn't been fired for less than 20,000 shots (or something to that effect).
    Does it matter how many shots a camera has been fired? Something like the mileage of a second hand car?
    Does it mean that there is an actual finite number of exposures a camera can take before it starts to fail? All along I thought cameras can last a long time with no major problems, at least not one that is related to the number of exposures.
    Would appreciate all your advice.
    you will get rough gauge of when the shutter will cui

but it really varies a lot, if you unlucky the shutter can be lemon, life very short.. if lucky, shutter can go way beyond rated life.

It indicate how often the camera was used.

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    I would'nt worry because we normally replace our camera before the shutter is worn.
    'we' is who hahas?

My dad used the same cam for 15 yrs hahas

there is no actual figures say how long should a camera shutter should last, in real life.....

many people give up hobby long before their camera shutter failed.

many people sold off their camera long before their camera shutter failed.

many people upgrade to a newer camera long before their old camera shutter failed.

many people shoot very little, will take long long time for their camera shutter to fail.

so you see, you may not even have a change to see your own camera shutter fail.

anyway, in the event if the shutter do failed, be it 500D or 1D, you have really really already make full use of your camera.

you can chose to buy a new body, or replace a new shutter unit, but don't forget to buy 4D, cos you are super lucky, not every photographers able to shoot till camera shutter failed.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Was wondering, what if the shutter life die, will we still be able to snap without sending for service?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    there is no actual figures say how long should a camera shutter should last, in real life.....

many people give up hobby long before their camera shutter failed.

many people sold off their camera long before their camera shutter failed.

many people upgrade to a newer camera long before their old camera shutter failed.

many people shoot very little, will take long long time for their camera shutter to fail.

so you see, you may not even have a change to see your own camera shutter fail.

anyway, in the event if the shutter do failed, be it 500D or 1D, you have really really already make full use of your camera.

you can chose to buy a new body, or replace a new shutter unit, but don't forget to buy 4D, cos you are super lucky, not every photographers able to shoot till camera shutter failed.
    Very profound and philosophical... With plenty of insight, all of which, as mortals, we oft chose the easier path of ignorance. Gratitude to your enlightenment.
    I will humbly attempt to prolong the lifespan of my camera shutter lest it expires on me, in which case I may require the kind assistance of our great MOH in putting a sticker on it to extend its Expiry date for another 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DaNiAl6 View Post
    Was wondering, what if the shutter life die, will we still be able to snap without sending for service?
    If the shutter die during an event im covering, i WILL certainly snap.

My max amount is about 400-600 shots in a single day (and it's for events)

Else I'd only go about 20-50 shots daily...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by DaNiAl6 View Post
    You can't shoot anymore... or mebbe if you can, there may be certain issues like a white band across the image, etc...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12