Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cheap tripods, usable?

Default Re: cheap tripods, usable?

I have never heard of shutter causing vibration? it does happen?!! and ya.. I just thought i wont be using the tripod so often thus wanting to save a bit of money.. hee.. and i dont want to buy branded just for the brand.. and yes, its a nikon 105mm macro.. quite heavy.. heavier than the sigma one cause bigger (i think, if i dont rememebr wrongly haha)

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    jaRV1s, I thought you are supposed to lock down the ball-head first, then focus. hmmm. Unless you are using autofocus you need to focus then recompose. Most macro photographers are doing MF leh.
    i locked but it always drift downwards... sometimes missed all the AF points... frankly i''m still learning how to MF on macro lens... it's not like MF in all other situations... slight off focus the viewfinder could turn into a pale sheet of green or grey (depends on background)... so ballhead precision is very important to me... that's why i'm really considering RRS...

mine not heavy weight gear also... mere 200grams more... but the shutter vibration is almost always there... taking macro with mirror closed up or delay shutter isn't good really... some critters won't wait for you for even a second... heard carbon fiber very good at dealing with vibrations... but my current budget won't allow... so i would be getting at least the Manfrotto 055 series...

Yeah, spend more to get a good one. Your tripod should weight more than the total weight of your camera and lens. It might be good to have one with a hook at the bottom so you can attach ur bag or something else to add stability.

Use Mirror Lock Up to minimize vibration, and remote release will be good as well, so you don't have to use 10sec timer.

Tip: any tripod is better than none. If you're lazy like me, when traveling overseas, leave ur good tripod at home and buy the cheapest you can find after you arrived in ur destination. Bring a detachable hook to hang ur bag to the base of the tripod. Discard after use

I was asking this same question a few mths ago and ended up getting the Fancier Professional Tripod From http://store.tagotech.com/product_in...roducts_id=203
    i have to specify that i'm not from TagoTech though, and i dont get anything from them.

Its $88 and i've been using it for a few mths now. Its good enough for me. Good height, good weight(not too heavy or light) and the ball head is good enough for my 450D 17-50mm. I tried it a few weeks back at the Anderson Bridge. Those of you that have been there will know that whenever buses drive by, the whole bridge will vibrate. I thought the Tripod did quite well, it didnt topple or shake too much.

But of course it's not as good as the Gitzos or Manfrottos. There was a guy there with his 4 or 500 buck Gitzo. It weighted a tonne but the stability is excellent.

Tripod is something that you don't scrimp too much on. Buy once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post
    Tripod is something that you don't scrimp too much on. Buy once and for all.
    or poor man pay twice... i paid once and i'm ready to pay for the second time...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaRv1s View Post
    i locked but it always drift downwards...mine not heavy weight gear also... mere 200grams more... but the shutter vibration is almost always there... taking macro with mirror closed up or delay shutter isn't good really... some critters won't wait for you for even a second... heard carbon fiber very good at dealing with vibrations... but my current budget won't allow... so i would be getting at least the Manfrotto 055 series...
    Oh, the creep... That happens with inferior ball heads. No problem with 3 way pan heads though. Their braking power is just stronger, it is a design thing. But you give up more flexibility and ease of composing. I read that even the mighty Benro's ball head is very inferior and will wear out very easily over time. So for ball heads only the reputable brands are really worth buying. Don't believe me see this guy who tore down a Benro KS-2 and see what he found. Damn scary.

http://www.tomwebsterphoto.com/Essay...o/benroks2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    I would like to take this opportunity to ask you all, what about Monopods?
    For travelling purpose (easier to carry along), if we just need to stabilise the camera for slower shutter speed, instead of leaving it there to take picture by itself, would a Monopod suffice?
    Those of you who have experience with Monopods, do you buy an expensive one (worth it or not?)?
    monopod will get owned by tripod anyday.

3 legs better than 1 leg. monopod is generally used when you have problems with mobility if you use tripod, e.g. insect photography with shrubbery..

of course a monopod is better than no monopod. but give me a choice between handheld, tripod, monopod.. i know which number of legs i'd choose, any time of the day, because the tripod can do everything the other two can and more, as long as there is enough space.

First of all.. look at the budget, head down to photography shop and check out the tripod and then prices. From there, you will know which to get. Manfrotto is a good start. Also depending which head you prefer, ball head or release plate type. =)

Im using 055XProB - http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/...lsf=68&child=2

Along with Giottos ball head MH1000 - http://www.giottos.com/Ball-heads.htm

Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    First of all.. look at the budget, head down to photography shop and check out the tripod and then prices. From there, you will know which to get. Manfrotto is a good start. Also depending which head you prefer, ball head or release plate type. =)

Im using 055XProB - http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/...lsf=68&child=2

Along with Giottos ball head MH1000 - http://www.giottos.com/Ball-heads.htm
    My god!! u mean tripods have to buy the stand and head separately!! things are really getting more complicated.. Its like buying a Honda and the wheels from ferrari (if they fit!!)

Quote Originally Posted by jgjonathangoh View Post
    My god!! u mean tripods have to buy the stand and head separately!! things are really getting more complicated.. Its like buying a Honda and the wheels from ferrari (if they fit!!)
    The better ones come separately as there are different requirements for different users. Some opt for a ball head for fast quick change of directions, some prefer more precise manipulations with 3 way heads, and etc....

And the legs come in different materials as well as heights... do read up more.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

buying a good and sturdy tripod is important, for the stability and insurance that it provides when you mount your gear

a good ballhead will also make your life much easier, make sure it's easy to change locking positions, and that it can lock your gear securely and it's not moving, no matter what position you lock it in

manfrotto is a good brand, or if you have the budget, go for gitzo

ballheads there are plenty, like arca swiss, really right stuff, markins

Quote Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
    buying a good and sturdy tripod is important, for the stability and insurance that it provides when you mount your gear

a good ballhead will also make your life much easier, make sure it's easy to change locking positions, and that it can lock your gear securely and it's not moving, no matter what position you lock it in

manfrotto is a good brand, or if you have the budget, go for gitzo

ballheads there are plenty, like arca swiss, really right stuff, markins
    That's right. It's important to get a good one. It may not necessary be expensive. Some expensive ones are wobbly too. I find that getting a good ball head is more important. I definitely agree that I feel secure when I mount my gear on a sturdy tripod. Not afraid that I clumsily tripped on to it and cause it to break or something.

The SLIK PRO 330DX is good. Made of titanium alloy, quick release panhead, weights 1.5kg, 3 sections with 3-position leg angle.

So how much does this SLIK cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoppable View Post
    So how much does this SLIK cost?
    Only $130.

This is a cheap, sturdy and portable tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    I would like to take this opportunity to ask you all, what about Monopods?
    For travelling purpose (easier to carry along), if we just need to stabilise the camera for slower shutter speed, instead of leaving it there to take picture by itself, would a Monopod suffice?
    Those of you who have experience with Monopods, do you buy an expensive one (worth it or not?)?
    Used before, never liked it. I would rather use my IS or up my ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Diavonex View Post
    This is a cheap, sturdy and portable tripod.

Am i wrong to say it looks really small?

Quote Originally Posted by MrWhites View Post
    Am i wrong to say it looks really small?
    It's 7" including the swivel head. Ideal for travelling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast