Thread: CPL for Fisheye

Default CPL for Fisheye

Is it possible to use a CPL on a fisheye lens?

Cheers

Default Re: CPL for Fisheye

If your fisheye lens has threads for a filter, sure! But it's highly likely there'll be vignetting, and there's not much point too, because there's sure to be uneven polarization in the sky with the huge angle of view of a fisheye lens. =)
    incywincyspider climbup the waterspout...

fisheye lenses usually bulge out quite excessively, and thus make filters pointless and nigh impossible.
    Alpha

possible if it is compatible with rear screw on filters e.g Zenit 16mm fisheye...

Quote Originally Posted by weevil84 View Post
    possible if it is compatible with rear screw on filters e.g Zenit 16mm fisheye...
    Mind to share how that could work? Just curious cause I have a Zenitar 16mm FE as well.

Don't think you can use any physical CPL filter on a FE, even the drop in ones and the gel type can't because you need to turn the filter for the effect. Can try the electronic version below, there are others as well not just from B&W.

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/fi...sfilter_po.htm

i think it will be hard to use cpl even if there is rear element version

how to turn when shooting? keep removing lens? impractical and does not make sense.

cannot la bro... Ultra wide angle lenses that cover about 100 degree you'll see blue sky graduate from dark blue to light blue already... most fish eye could cover some 180 degree you'll never get the effect like normal zoom man...

unless that effect is what you want...

Question: Why do you want to use a CPL on a fisheye anyway? Even if it's possible, you're going to get unevenly polarized light.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Question: Why do you want to use a CPL on a fisheye anyway? Even if it's possible, you're going to get unevenly polarized light.
    Maybe that's an effect you might want? Personally, i think the effect is gives is kinda cool
    (Not applicable all the time, that's for sure, but i'm sure i can find a use for it xD)

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    Maybe that's an effect you might want? Personally, i think the effect is gives is kinda cool
    (Not applicable all the time, that's for sure, but i'm sure i can find a use for it xD)

i'm thinking hard, very hard to use.. fisheye + uneven polarisation + part of cpl in frame..

Thanks for the input! I was wondering, why worried about unevenness when the picture is already uneven.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

i'm thinking hard, very hard to use.. fisheye + uneven polarisation + part of cpl in frame..
    part of cpl in frame? I'm talking about cut-out filters to put in the rear of the lens

part of cpl in frame? I'm talking about cut-out filters to put in the rear of the lens
    ... unmount lens, rotate, unmount lens rotate...

i think i rather cry.... in the end got special effect of dust also

New concept: rotating the camera to get the right effect

Quote Originally Posted by KY1977 View Post
    Thanks for the input! I was wondering, why worried about unevenness when the picture is already uneven.
    It's a different kind of uneven. Have you seen the effects of uneven polarization before?

Err... Yeah, both are "uneven", but I think that's where the similarity ends - at the adjective used to describe it.

I've never seen a picture taken with a fisheye and a CPL before, but I don't really think the image will be too pretty. But hey, if you're willing to try, you can tell me about it.

The effect of the CPL becomes uneven. For example, The sky at the extreme left of the photo is dark blue while the sky at the extreme right is lighter. Its like half of the photo has the polarizing effect half do not.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    It's a different kind of uneven. Have you seen the effects of uneven polarization before?
    Yeap, seen it too on my UWA lens when using cpl. I like the effect. Help to bring out the focus on the subject sometimes.

Have an idea on modifying the lens hood. But got to get the sigma 10mm first. Anyone has any idea where I can get this?